Author Topic: 2024 NFL Draft  (Read 30565 times)

Re: 2024 NFL Draft
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2024, 04:52:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
Wow, Pats take QB Joe Milton at 193. Surprised he even fell beyond 150 tbh.

I think this officially means Zappe is out as well. QB room is Brissett, Maye and Milton.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2024, 05:00:39 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454
Dang, Sanders was the first pick today

And who the hell did the Pats draft?!?!

Ugh. Hope 110 is a WR
Baker is a stud. Very worthwhile double dip in the second round. I love that they have invested heavily on the offensive side of the ball. I was worried that we may go heavy defense today given Jerod is the HC. I think our defense is good enough for us to take this direction with our selections.

Also of course Miami ends up with the lightning quick rb who fell a round and a half further than he should be drafted.

What’s your scouting report on him? I was hoping the Pats would take Tez Walker. He has good size and speed to stretch the field at 6’2” with a 4.36 sec 40 time. Polk and Baker seem to have just average speed. Also, would have given Maye a familiar target as they played together the last year at UNC. Walker ended up going 3 picks later to Baltimore.
He has delusional confidence, and great hands. Has adequate speed and seems to get open alot. Catches everything though. Getting him a round or two after he was supposed to go is huge

Sounds promising enough. What are your thoughts on Polk, how does he compare to Baker?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2024, 05:40:15 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2544

Ugh. Hope 110 is a WR
Baker is a stud. Very worthwhile double dip in the second round. I love that they have invested heavily on the offensive side of the ball. I was worried that we may go heavy defense today given Jerod is the HC. I think our defense is good enough for us to take this direction with our selections.

Also of course Miami ends up with the lightning quick rb who fell a round and a half further than he should be drafted.

What’s your scouting report on him? I was hoping the Pats would take Tez Walker. He has good size and speed to stretch the field at 6’2” with a 4.36 sec 40 time. Polk and Baker seem to have just average speed. Also, would have given Maye a familiar target as they played together the last year at UNC. Walker ended up going 3 picks later to Baltimore.
He has delusional confidence, and great hands. Has adequate speed and seems to get open alot. Catches everything though. Getting him a round or two after he was supposed to go is huge

Sounds promising enough. What are your thoughts on Polk, how does he compare to Baker?

I want to hear more about Polk too.  Where he’s picked isn’t relevant - I think this crew of WRs will produce some surprises.

I hear the pats pick Joe Milton is an interesting one. A big QB with a cannon. Some  talk as a tight end convert?  Pretty cool to select a second QB.

As always - I talk myself into really liking the draft. This time could be true.

« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2024, 06:14:40 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489

Ugh. Hope 110 is a WR

So they both have relatively similar builds and strengths.
Polk also has fantastic hands. I've heard him described as a bigger 2nd round version of Jakobi Meyers. Does ALL of the little things that make receiving evaluators melt.

Baker is an outside x receiver, but Polk has experience outside AND inside. He glides through his routes and catches with defenders draped all over him. Polk is considered a safe bet to be a contributing receiver for a long time. Probably a 2nd or 3rd on an elite team.

Baker profiles more as a typical alpha. He just needs refinement in his route running. He will never back down from a challenge. He wants all the smoke.

Although they have similar profiles, it's a great double dip.

I'm happy with bo
#JKJB

« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2024, 06:29:54 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454

Ugh. Hope 110 is a WR

So they both have relatively similar builds and strengths.
Polk also has fantastic hands. I've heard him described as a bigger 2nd round version of Jakobi Meyers. Does ALL of the little things that make receiving evaluators melt.

Baker is an outside x receiver, but Polk has experience outside AND inside. He glides through his routes and catches with defenders draped all over him. Polk is considered a safe bet to be a contributing receiver for a long time. Probably a 2nd or 3rd on an elite team.

Baker profiles more as a typical alpha. He just needs refinement in his route running. He will never back down from a challenge. He wants all the smoke.

Although they have similar profiles, it's a great double dip.

I'm happy with bo

Thanks. TP
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2024, 06:36:31 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489
I couldn't believe Jaheim Bell was there in the 7th. I saw him projected to us in the 5th. Can't block, super explosive 6'2 TE prospect. Should be used as a move player. Great flyer in the 7th

Also we used every pick in this draft accept one on offense.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 06:41:55 PM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2024, 08:36:10 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
All in all, I am pretty happy with the draft.  I can't get down into whether this second round receiver will be better than another, but it seemed like a good plan.  They addressed needs.  Of course getting a potential franchise QB is the biggest part of this but they then went heavy with OL and WR.  They didn't over think it.

I have been thinking about what was the conventional narrative that the Pats had a lot of needs.  But did they really?  The defense is very solid and they get Gonzalez and Judon back next season.  There weren't really any "needs" on defense.  You always can get better or deeper, but that is different than a need.

On offense, QB was obvious, and they addressed that with Brissett, Maye, and Milton.  Even Brissett is a significant improvement over Jones and Zappe.  OL was the other obvious weakness.  They addressed this in the off season and with draft picks. Let's hope they did enough.  Then there are receivers.  Hard to judge receivers when the OL and QB are both bad.  Just improving OL and QB will improve the receivers, but they also got FAs and draft picks.  No big stars, but in my mind, that is OK, and they may not be done.

So what other needs were there really?  This off season feels like a very big step in the right direction.

« Reply #202 on: April 28, 2024, 08:47:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
I don't understand the Milton pick at all.  Shades of a team drafting Cousins in the same draft as taking Griffin at the top of the draft.  Just seems like a waste of a pick or a potential issue.  And I know ot worked out in Washington as Griffin got hurt, but baking on an injury for a pick to work out just seems odd.

I don't know enough about Polk to comment, but the people that follow the sport pretty much across the board have said that pick is a big time reach and poor value. Doesn't mean he won't work out but as of now it looks like a poor pick.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #203 on: April 28, 2024, 09:35:13 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
I don't understand the Milton pick at all. Shades of a team drafting Cousins in the same draft as taking Griffin at the top of the draft.  Just seems like a waste of a pick or a potential issue.  And I know ot worked out in Washington as Griffin got hurt, but baking on an injury for a pick to work out just seems odd.

I don't know enough about Polk to comment, but the people that follow the sport pretty much across the board have said that pick is a big time reach and poor value. Doesn't mean he won't work out but as of now it looks like a poor pick.

This is what I was trying to get at.  Is a 6th round safety or whatever really all that much of an opportunity cost over getting a safety as an undrafted FA?  There are going to be safeties or whatever in the undrafted pool, but there may not be a QB prospect like Martin.  That is what I see as the logic behind this pick, and I am fine with that.

As to Polk, I have no idea.  These people that "follow the sport" get this kind of thing wrong all the time.  We are just going to have to wait and see.  They used a high second round pick on the receiver they think was the best available.  If they got that wrong, they will deserve criticism.  Same with taking Maye over JJ McCarthy (just for example), even though in that case, these "people" generally agree with them on that one.   I think the top of the second round is a good place to take a receiver so for now, I am happy with that.

I still think Kayshon Boutte can be a good receiver, so what do I know of receiver prospects.  Mayo as the head coach may be good for Boutte.

« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2024, 11:16:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I don't understand the Milton pick at all. Shades of a team drafting Cousins in the same draft as taking Griffin at the top of the draft.  Just seems like a waste of a pick or a potential issue.  And I know ot worked out in Washington as Griffin got hurt, but baking on an injury for a pick to work out just seems odd.

This is what I was trying to get at.  Is a 6th round safety or whatever really all that much of an opportunity cost over getting a safety as an undrafted FA?  There are going to be safeties or whatever in the undrafted pool, but there may not be a QB prospect like Martin.  That is what I see as the logic behind this pick, and I am fine with that.

As to Polk, I have no idea.  These people that "follow the sport" get this kind of thing wrong all the time.  We are just going to have to wait and see.  They used a high second round pick on the receiver they think was the best available.  If they got that wrong, they will deserve criticism.  Same with taking Maye over JJ McCarthy (just for example), even though in that case, these "people" generally agree with them on that one.   I think the top of the second round is a good place to take a receiver so for now, I am happy with that.

I still think Kayshon Boutte can be a good receiver, so what do I know of receiver prospects.  Mayo as the head coach may be good for Boutte.
Why do they need a rookie safety QB at all?  They are much better off with a non-rookie in that spot.  They certainly shouldn't have used a draft pick on a guy that if everything goes well doesn't even get out of the practice squad and if it goes badly you actually need to play and if he does will be terrible  I get it is a 6th round pick, but you can still get quality usable bench players from that round

« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2024, 10:36:04 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
I don't understand the Milton pick at all.  Shades of a team drafting Cousins in the same draft as taking Griffin at the top of the draft.  Just seems like a waste of a pick or a potential issue.  And I know ot worked out in Washington as Griffin got hurt, but baking on an injury for a pick to work out just seems odd.

Milton is a good athlete with a strong arm that needs to learn the game. I think he's an intriguing flyer. 6th round picks are made for gambles like this. A punter went in the 4th.

Polk is a good receiver. Has is sure-handed and is a good route runner. Javon Baker also has good hands. Jaheim Bell can make plays out of the backfield and along the line. He's a good safety valve facing the blitz. All three pass catchers seem to be decent picks.

Who knows about the offensive linemen they picked. I still want the Pats to trade for a true #1 receiver.

« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2024, 04:19:16 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991

Milton is a good athlete with a strong arm that needs to learn the game. I think he's an intriguing flyer. 6th round picks are made for gambles like this. A punter went in the 4th.

Polk is a good receiver. Has is sure-handed and is a good route runner. Javon Baker also has good hands. Jaheim Bell can make plays out of the backfield and along the line. He's a good safety valve facing the blitz. All three pass catchers seem to be decent picks.

Who knows about the offensive linemen they picked. I still want the Pats to trade for a true #1 receiver.

Milton is a 6-year college player who’s never bothered to learn the game.  He’s uncoachable and was a waste of a pick.

« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2024, 10:12:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Vikings paid through the nose to move up in the draft:

Here's what ultimately left the building in two trades made with Houston (to get to No. 23 in March) and Jacksonville (to get to No. 17 on Thursday):

2024 second-round pick (No. 42 overall)
2024 fifth-round pick (No. 167)
2024 sixth-round pick (No. 188)
2025 second-round pick
2025 third-round pick
2025 fourth-round pick

Minny gave #11, 129, and 157 for #10.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2024, 03:46:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Milton is a 6-year college player who’s never bothered to learn the game.  He’s uncoachable and was a waste of a pick.

I did not realize he was a 6-year college player. I am much less excited about that then if he had played 3.

« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2024, 03:58:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
3 years at Michigan in which he didn't play much and when he did he was bad, then 3 years at Tennessee and he barely played the first 2 before finally getting some burn his final year.  He only threw 650 passes in college and 354 were last year.