Author Topic: Brown and Tatum have become untradable  (Read 12381 times)

Re: Brown and Tatum have become untradable
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Players I would trade both Brown and Tatum for:

1. Kevin Durant
2. Anthony Davis
3. Greek Freak
4. James Harden

Players I would trade just one of EITHER player for:

1. Karl Anthony Towns
2. Joel Embiid

Players who don't make sense at all to trade for because of age/position

1. Lebron
2. Curry
3. Westbrook
4. CP3
5. Wall

Players I would trade Brown for but NOT Tatum:

1. Kawhi
2. DeRozan
3. Jimmy Butler
4. Paul George
5. Boogie
6. Porzingis
7. Rudy Gobert

Tough to crunch so many scenarios, especially factoring the contract variable. Tatum is definitely the more "untradeable" in that he is far more consistent and his scoring range is far more polished. Tatum's ceiling is Durant, and I think he has a decent chance of reaching it. Brown reminds me of a young Kobe. Same athleticism, but the obvious moments where he hasn't grown in to his body so to speak. I think he is far more consistent than Bryant was in a young age, and Brown's defense at a young age is superior. I just think it is more likely for Tatum to reach his full potential compared to Brown.

Both players are very coachable though, and have bought in to Brad Stevens system 100%, so the sky is the limit for both of them. Their egos are in check, which is not typical of a young player with so much talent.....(see Ben Simmons).

To say they are "untradeable" is ridiculous, but for any of the players mentioned above to come available in a scenario where the Celtics are trade partners, to me, is highly unrealistic.

I have to say I disagree with almost everything you had in that post.  No way I would trade both Tatum and Brown for any one player in the league and especially not Giannis or Harden.
The trade list for Jalen is really funny.  Brown might be better right now than Butler, DeRozan. 

Excuse me while I go an poke my eyes out after that one.  I am impressed in your ability to go against the grain though.

Lol, go against the grain???

You do realize that when Kyrie and Hayward are back that Brown likely becomes our 4th best player by default?

All of these players are teams #1/1A options. All-stars.

How much Kool-Aid have you had to drink since Game 1?

The 4 players mentioned in the Brown+Tatum trades get us INSTANT hang-ups from those front offices with the offers. You are looney-tunes to think otherwise.

Karl Anthony Towns and Embiid are far more valuable than either one of Tatum and Brown, especially in a one-for-one trade scenario for our team, considering the rest of our roster. I would gladly trade either one of these guys to have a dominant center like Embiid/Towns to play alongside of Horford. It would make us unstoppable...

Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Horford/(Towns/Embiid)
Dude, you are so spun if you can't see how much more dominant that lineup would be for us...

Most of the list of seven I mentioned as Brown (but not Tatum) one-for-one trades would be almost snap calls to make, and even some would have to be considered for Tatum.

Or, you somehow think our 2 rookies are somehow top-10 players RIGHT NOW in the NBA, which I do believe is a very difficult argument to make.

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2018, 03:07:46 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
The issue is balance and the.... Bostonian heart...
Keep the guys here... with kyrie Horford and Hayward you have no flexibility to take more contracts...
And those kids play now well , have the potential to be great and love being in Boston... they got drafted and by us and everyone thought they were bad picks for us...
We are fine we do not need any trades just to be healthy

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2018, 03:36:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

1. Kevin Durant
2. Anthony Davis
3. Greek Freak
4. James Harden

1. Karl Anthony Towns
2. Joel Embiid

1. Lebron
2. Curry
3. Westbrook
4. CP3
5. Wall

1. Kawhi
2. DeRozan
3. Jimmy Butler
4. Paul George
5. Boogie
6. Porzingis
7. Rudy Gobert

Tough to crunch so many scenarios, especially factoring the contract variable. Tatum is definitely the more "untradeable" in that he is far more consistent and his scoring range is far more polished. Tatum's ceiling is Durant, and I think he has a decent chance of reaching it. Brown reminds me of a young Kobe. Same athleticism, but the obvious moments where he hasn't grown in to his body so to speak. I think he is far more consistent than Bryant was in a young age, and Brown's defense at a young age is superior. I just think it is more likely for Tatum to reach his full potential compared to Brown.

Both players are very coachable though, and have bought in to Brad Stevens system 100%, so the sky is the limit for both of them. Their egos are in check, which is not typical of a young player with so much talent.....(see Ben Simmons).

To say they are "untradeable" is ridiculous, but for any of the players mentioned above to come available in a scenario where the Celtics are trade partners, to me, is highly unrealistic.

I have to say I disagree with almost everything you had in that post.  No way I would trade both Tatum and Brown for any one player in the league and especially not Giannis or Harden.
The trade list for Jalen is really funny.  Brown might be better right now than Butler, DeRozan. 

Excuse me while I go an poke my eyes out after that one.  I am impressed in your ability to go against the grain though.

exactly

the crazy thing is that they have barely scratched the surface

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2018, 03:43:09 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I don't think anyone on this roster is un-tradeable. With that said, there is absolutely no reason to trade anyone right now. You've got 3 max contracts, all of whom are worth their contracts (assuming Hayward and Irving come back at or near 100%, which I do). Then you've got at least two potential superstars coming through the pipeline that you'd need to bump up to max money around the time that your older stars are coming off their current contracts.

In other words, the Celtics are in fantastic shape from a salary point of view if they want to continue this run for the next 5+ years.

One related point... Keep in mind that trading either Brown or Tatum for a superstar like Leonard wouldn't just mean that you'd have to add a fourth max contract right now (which would make it almost impossible to avoid the luxury tax). It would also mean that you'd forgo the opportunity for a "cheap" max contract player or two. When Brown and Tatum sign theirs, they'll only be eligible for 25% of the cap. Guys with more experience earn 30% or 35% depending on how many years they've been in the league. That actually makes a significant difference if you're looking to round out your team with solid role players.

Celtics would be wise to sit tight. There is nothing they need to do this summer, other than maybe trading Rozier (which I would endorse) and re-signing Smart. Go into 2018-19 with five all-star-caliber players and a solid bench and see where the chips land.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2018, 03:04:15 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
The 4 players mentioned in the Brown+Tatum trades get us INSTANT hang-ups from those front offices with the offers. You are looney-tunes to think otherwise.

I wouldn't trade them for anyone.

Mark this thread. In 5 years from now, you're going to look very, very looney-tunes.

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2018, 03:07:33 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Mark this thread. In 5 years from now, you're going to look very, very looney-tunes.
these are the same people who wanted us to trade the #3 2016 draft pick for nerlens Noel

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2018, 03:11:15 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

these are the same people who wanted us to trade the #3 2016 draft pick for nerlens Noel

Or straight up for Okafor. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2018, 03:22:48 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45

Haha I hope you're right dude!

But right now, you guys are insinuating that Brown and Tatum are top 15 NBA players, you know, since there are no trades worth giving either of these guys up for.... ::)

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

But right now, you guys are insinuating that Brown and Tatum are top 15 NBA players, you know, since there are no trades worth giving either of these guys up for.... ::)

contracts, age and upside affect value as well

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2018, 03:40:57 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Actually, there is Giannis and Anthony Davis, and then they are the most valuable players, if you are going strictly in terms of long term team assets.

Kawhi Leonard was on that list, but he fell off this year. He might get back on if he comes back strong next year. The only other truly great players in the NBA are at least 7 years older than Jaylen. I really wouldn't give them up for anyone else.

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2018, 03:48:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

That's fair.

But then I'd say your the "same people" who didn't want to trade Big Al for KG. Because sending future 20/10 machine out for a washed PF was definitely a position that no small number of people argued.  ;)

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2018, 03:56:41 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

That's fair.

But then I'd say your the "same people" who didn't want to trade Big Al for KG. Because sending future 20/10 machine out for a washed PF was definitely a position that no small number of people argued.  ;)

I wish those threads weren't scrubbed out in the Great Purge.  Would love to go back and read though peoples' thoughts about that trade.   I certainly remember a contingent being anti-trade. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2018, 03:59:42 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

1. Kevin Durant
2. Anthony Davis
3. Greek Freak
4. James Harden

1. Karl Anthony Towns
2. Joel Embiid

1. Lebron
2. Curry
3. Westbrook
4. CP3
5. Wall

1. Kawhi
2. DeRozan
3. Jimmy Butler
4. Paul George
5. Boogie
6. Porzingis
7. Rudy Gobert

Lol, go against the grain???

You do realize that when Kyrie and Hayward are back that Brown likely becomes our 4th best player by default?

All of these players are teams #1/1A options. All-stars.

How much Kool-Aid have you had to drink since Game 1?

Karl Anthony Towns and Embiid are far more valuable than either one of Tatum and Brown, especially in a one-for-one trade scenario for our team, considering the rest of our roster. I would gladly trade either one of these guys to have a dominant center like Embiid/Towns to play alongside of Horford. It would make us unstoppable...

Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Horford/(Towns/Embiid)
Dude, you are so spun if you can't see how much more dominant that lineup would be for us...

Most of the list of seven I mentioned as Brown (but not Tatum) one-for-one trades would be almost snap calls to make, and even some would have to be considered for Tatum.

Or, you somehow think our 2 rookies are somehow top-10 players RIGHT NOW in the NBA, which I do believe is a very difficult argument to make.

Yech I wouldn't want to see Embiid anywhere near a Celtics uniform (right now at least). The dude is crazy talented and athletic no doubt but he's a man child, his attitude wouldn't cut it in Boston. Someone like Anthony Davis would be a much better fit IMO.

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2018, 03:59:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I wish those threads weren't scrubbed out in the Great Purge.  Would love to go back and read though peoples' thoughts about that trade.   I certainly remember a contingent being anti-trade.
Oh yeah, the purge eliminated a lot of good reading.

I was just a lurker back then though, so I can't claim I had any special foresight. I was just excited that KG was coming. Heck I think the first KG trade rumors (that he killed pre-draft) are how I found CBlog.

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2018, 04:01:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
CF033

We loved Rondo, love the Marci, and we'd have zero problems quickly loving Embiid.