Author Topic: Bryce Harper to Phillies  (Read 15747 times)

Bryce Harper to Phillies
« on: February 28, 2019, 03:00:48 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal
 Harper deal with #Phillies is for $330M, per @JonHeyman, @JimBowdenGM and others. Would set record for largest guarantee. Question will be how much of money is deferred.

Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan
 Bryce Harper’s deal with the Phillies will be for 13 years and $330M, league sources tell ESPN. It will not include any opt-outs.

Well, considering I'm a Mets fan, this is going to suck for us lol.

Yikes.

13 years? Holy moly lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Bryce Harper to Phillies
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 03:10:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Does that mean we are going to have to sign Mookie to 13 years?  Crazy.  $25M per isn't all that bad I guess.

Harper 13 years, 330 million - Phillies
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 08:10:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So he turns down 10 years 300 million from his current team to take a contract for 30 million more but 3 extra years.  Seems very odd. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Harper 13 years, 330 million - Phillies
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 08:13:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So he turns down 10 years 300 million from his current team to take a contract for 30 million more but 3 extra years.  Seems very odd.

Yeah, I’m a bit puzzled by the AAV. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 08:18:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Well, I guess in the end it is still an extra $30M. Maybe he finds it unlikely he will play past age 36 (10 years from now), so the guarantee makes the difference here. I also don't think he was looking to stay with the Nats from the start.

I am not a massive Harper fan so glad the Sox didn't pay that price. Not wanting to pay that price for Mookie either, though.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 09:53:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Well, I guess in the end it is still an extra $30M. Maybe he finds it unlikely he will play past age 36 (10 years from now), so the guarantee makes the difference here. I also don't think he was looking to stay with the Nats from the start.

I am not a massive Harper fan so glad the Sox didn't pay that price. Not wanting to pay that price for Mookie either, though.

Really? I would. I think Mookie is one of the best in baseball and is very likeable. I don't think the Sox let him get away and will do whatever it takes to keep him. He should be the face of the franchise.

I think they keep Mookie, Bradley, Sale, Porcello and Holt. I think Bogaerts and Martinez are goners after this year.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 09:54:25 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal
 Harper deal with #Phillies is for $330M, per @JonHeyman, @JimBowdenGM and others. Would set record for largest guarantee. Question will be how much of money is deferred.

Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan
 Bryce Harper’s deal with the Phillies will be for 13 years and $330M, league sources tell ESPN. It will not include any opt-outs.

Well, considering I'm a Mets fan, this is going to suck for us lol.

Yikes.

13 years? Holy moly lol.

My condolences  ;)

Actually, I went to a Sox game last season where they lost 8-0 to the Mets, so there's that. Thor pitched and was lights out.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 10:23:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Really? I would. I think Mookie is one of the best in baseball and is very likeable. I don't think the Sox let him get away and will do whatever it takes to keep him. He should be the face of the franchise.

I think they keep Mookie, Bradley, Sale, Porcello and Holt. I think Bogaerts and Martinez are goners after this year.

$330M for Mookie? Ughh, I know it's baseball and the luxury tax means nothing, but that is just a lot of money to spend. I agree that the Sox will do what they need to hang on to him, but that price is outrageous!

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 10:31:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

$330M for Mookie? Ughh, I know it's baseball and the luxury tax means nothing, but that is just a lot of money to spend. I agree that the Sox will do what they need to hang on to him, but that price is outrageous!

It is outrageous, but sadly this is what the market has come to in baseball. Which is why I think you're going to see the Sox return to heavily prioritizing player development along with keeping certain pieces of their core (like Mookie and Sale), similarly to how the Sox operated under Theo. Which probably means you'll see Dave D. cut back on trading prospects and trying to beef up the farm system with the occasional free agent signing or trade.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 10:35:33 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Giants fan here. Apparently, it all came down to California taxes.

Which is disappointing. I don't understand why my Giants would be willing to take Giancarlo Stanton's contract last year, but won't do a 12 year / $335 million for Harper (reportedly that's what they asked for from the California teams, because it's to offset the high taxes). That deal will still have a lower AAV that Stanton's contract, apart from the final two years.

Disappointed he didn't come to the Bay.

And what bugged me about this is NO OPT OUT? I thought Scott Boras is supposed to be this good agent? Mookie Betts and Mike Trout will reach $40 million AAV by the time they are free agents, so if Bryce Harper plays at an MVP level, he won't have a chance to make the same money with this deal. I think that's stupid. Manny Machado had an opt-out, because it makes sense to have one, but he can't get it?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 11:00:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Which is disappointing. I don't understand why my Giants would be willing to take Giancarlo Stanton's contract last year, but won't do a 12 year / $335 million for Harper (reportedly that's what they asked for from the California teams, because it's to offset the high taxes). That deal will still have a lower AAV that Stanton's contract, apart from the final two years.

And what bugged me about this is NO OPT OUT? I thought Scott Boras is supposed to be this good agent? Mookie Betts and Mike Trout will reach $40 million AAV by the time they are free agents, so if Bryce Harper plays at an MVP level, he won't have a chance to make the same money with this deal. I think that's stupid. Manny Machado had an opt-out, because it makes sense to have one, but he can't get it?

Yeah, that's disappointing. The Giants could've used Harper as the new face of their franchise, especially when you look at their weak outfield. If you add him to a roster with Posey, Belt, Panik, Crawford and Bumgarner as their ace, they could've been real contenders. Plus, I think Harper preferred the West Coast. Giants may have let one get away.

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 12:50:32 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

If they're gonna let Martinez walk, they'd better have a legit plan B, because we all know what happened the last time the Sox decided they could go a season without a big bopper in the lineup.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 04:11:24 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Stanton put up monster numbers the season before he hit free agency, Bryce put up pretty pedestrian numbers for a guy who’s supposed to be MVP caliber.

He’s had one really good FULL season, otherwise he gets injured or spends half the season in a slump.  One of the most overrated players in baseball if you ask me. 
Greg

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 08:56:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

He didn't want one.  He wanted to be able to say to other free agents that he isn't going anywhere and will be here for 13 years since he can't opt out and they can't trade him.  Allegedly he has been talking extensively with Trout and many around the sport believe Trout will end up in Philadelphia in a few years because of the deal Harper signed. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 10:20:13 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Stanton put up monster numbers the season before he hit free agency, Bryce put up pretty pedestrian numbers for a guy who’s supposed to be MVP caliber.

He’s had one really good FULL season, otherwise he gets injured or spends half the season in a slump.  One of the most overrated players in baseball if you ask me.

That's kind of how I feel. Harper is an awesome player, but MVP caliber? (He won it once, and has had some great seasons, but nothing above superstar numbers which is what Harper has been paid.)

He didn't want one.  He wanted to be able to say to other free agents that he isn't going anywhere and will be here for 13 years since he can't opt out and they can't trade him.  Allegedly he has been talking extensively with Trout and many around the sport believe Trout will end up in Philadelphia in a few years because of the deal Harper signed. 

Trout and Harper would be a devastating duo... I just hope Trout seriously doesn't look at Philly as anything other than a !@#$-hole.

Even if it is home.  :P ::)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different