Author Topic: This trade idea with the Pistons is pretty good.  (Read 3994 times)

Re: This trade idea with the Pistons is pretty good.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 01:00:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Agreed.  Ellington would be a good piece off the bench.  Don't like Plumlee's contract.

So Edwards plus a 2nd for Ellington would be a done deal, get it done DA.

We don't want Plumlee though.  If you're going for a big contract gotta get back a difference maker like a Vucevic or maybe a Jerami Grant.
Plumlee is on a 3 year $24.6m deal. Not big money at all.

In fact it's less than we're paying TT
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 02:19:37 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
I also don't get where the idea to swap TT for Plumlee comes from. He is 2 years odler, has a contract guaranty until he is 34, with still 6 million more guaranted. Good passer, stronger but for the rest I guess TT is better (rebounds, versatility/switchability, FT%....). So for me it is not an upgrade at all.
Ellington for Carsen and one second (not 2 for a 32YI expiring) it is OK and will put Green out of the rotation without expecting anything from Langford/Nesmith who would have to fight to take a spot. Ellington would be a good complemntary moove from the one with TPE but if they decide that it is not our year like last year (and it was already a mistake) and if we do nothing bigger, then don't do this trade and developp Nesmith and Langford. But so stop to play Green or players who have no future with us.

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 08:14:55 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So does Plumlee clearly play over Theis and Williams?   I don't think so.   

If the Celtics move Thompson it should either be to strengthen another position or if it there was a clear upgrade to the C position.   

I like Ellington as a small move to improve reliable shooting off the bench.   Offer Green or Edwards plus two 2nd round picks.   (one Celtic pick, one that they got from another team)

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 08:27:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Leaving aside the issue of trade value for a minute...  How do you think Brad would utilize Plumley’s passing skills? That’s a talent that he definitely has over Thimpson and Theis, and Williams too (despite flashes).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2021, 11:03:46 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
So does Plumlee clearly play over Theis and Williams?   I don't think so.   

If the Celtics move Thompson it should either be to strengthen another position or if it there was a clear upgrade to the C position.   

This is exactly how I feel.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 02:45:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Plumlee is a much better passer.  he is a comparable rebounder (very similar TRB% though Thompson is better).  Plumlee scores at a much higher percentage from 0-3' and shoots a much higher percentage of shots from 0-3' so he is a more efficient scorer, though has even less range than Thompson.  Plumlee blocks shots and generates steals at a much higher rater, but also turns it over at a much higher rate.  Plumlee has better WS and WS/48, a better BPM, a better VORP, etc.

In other words, I actually think Plumlee is slightly better than Thompson and he makes less, though has the extra year.  I don't think either does a whole lot to the actual wins and losses.  In a vacuum I'd swap Thompson for Plumlee and wouldn't give it much thought, but I wouldn't want to add any real value to the trade to get it done.  I like Ellington as well, but again not worth a 1st to get done.  If they wanted to do Plumlee and Ellington for Thompson, Green, cash (to cut Green or whomever), and BOS 21 2nd, I'd do that.  Would throw in the 22 2nd as well if I had to.  No 1st's and no young players (of any real value) though because there is no point in giving up real assets for such a nominal gain.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 03:54:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If we're trading a first round pick and trading away one of our centers, I would hope the deal would alleviate the logjam of 3 centers that we currently have.

Exchanging Thompson for Plumlee doesn't seem great to me, even though it would be nice to get Ellington.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain