Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238888 times)

Re: Robert Williams(Merged Threads)
« Reply #1020 on: September 17, 2018, 08:31:09 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
After Sully,Olynck,Zeller ,Horford and Baynes -why not get excited about a 20 year old that has a 7-6 wingspan, has the 2nd highest standing jump reach in world recorded by P3 and his lateral is just off the charts at P3.
Most of the big guys that have his potential go to poor teams and get thrown to the wolves.This guy can be brought along properly.
Nothing said can diminish his athletics and his lateral speed again measured by P3
He is also 240 not rail skinny.
Theis was killing it with rolls and so will Robert getting up with 12 ft 6 max vert for lobs from Marcus.
His favorite player as a kid Al Horford can't get much better role model.
This is the time of year to get excited  about a rookie shot blocker
Intrigue is better suited for Kyrie.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:53:59 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #1021 on: September 17, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I saw Bill Russell play NBA games. Live. Multiple times.

I saw him on TV multiple times.

Russ is my favorite professional athlete of all time.

There will never be a player as competitive as Bill Russell. Michael Jordan came close.

Robert Williams is not the second coming of Bill Russell.

But......

His size, skill set, and style of play is reminiscent of Russell. YouTube Russell’s games.

It is no disrespect to Russell to say this.

I have remarked in prior posts that the coaches have this kid study Russell on tape. He should also read Go Up For Glory and Second Wind, books written by Russell. Bill Russell’s greatness was less about his physical traits, which were phenomenal.

He put so much time and thought into figuring out how to beat his opponent. That is what all of team, coaches and players alike, should emulate. Including RW3.

« Reply #1022 on: September 17, 2018, 09:02:49 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Nothing said can diminish his athletics and his lateral speed again measured by P3

A small detail here is that the Celtics is a basketball team and not a Track and field team.

54% FT
no 3p shot
10p 9r for Texas

how can anyone be excited ???? Because his fav player is Horford ? And mine is Birb but i can't make a FT to save my life!!!

Even if he ends up the second big after Horford all this enthusiasm today is completely irrational.... You get excited about Tatum ... Maybe Brown... But for a projected lottery pick who fall all the way to 27 you don't get excited before he even plays a single game!

But it's been a very slow uneventful summer.....

« Reply #1023 on: September 17, 2018, 09:17:09 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

how can anyone be excited ???

It's called potential.  Elite athleticism always creates potential.  And the shot looks decent, so there's reasonable hope for improvement.

And great post Footey, thanks for your input on Russell.  I'm a little too young to remember him directly, but he's always been a favorite.

« Reply #1024 on: September 17, 2018, 09:28:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well, I am more excited to have Williams than I was Jordan Mickey, but I guess that's not saying much. I think the better word to describe how I feel about Williams is intrigued.

I am not going to put a lot of expectations of him becoming much, but from the 3-4 games I saw him play his freshman year, I thought he had immense potential. Sadly, he didn't seem to develop one bit in the 2 games I saw him play his sophmore year. That, of course, could be explained away to having a bad coach and having to play in basically a two center system. Really, he was poorly handled in college.

That all said, he is a number 27 pick. If he doesn't ever become much, I won't be surprised or disappointed. That's what happens with picks in the low 20's and beyond. But, if he becomes Clint Capella good, that wouldn't surprise me either as I think the kid has tremendous potential.

As Surferdad said earlier, I don't think we will know anymore next year at this time just how good he will be. It's going to be a slow process. He will spend some time in Maine this year for sure and get very, very, very limited minutes in Boston. I am pretty sure we won't know just how good Robert will be until his 3rd or 4th year. So practice patience everyone.

« Reply #1025 on: September 17, 2018, 09:31:39 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
His absolute ceiling is Bill Russel who can shoot and pass better, now i don't think he can be that good because he isn't that competitive and healthy, but he is much more a Bill Russel than a Sean Williams, definitely better than D.Jordon and Capela

I think that comparing to Bill Russell, who is the ultimate champion of the USA, won NBA titles, Olympic Title, 2 NCAA titles is ridiculous.  It just displays how poor a grasp of you have of Bill Russell accomplishments, which I think will never be duplicated.
I'm not comparing their achievement but as a player , achievement are related to their environment more than their abilities
It's still a ridiculous comparison. Russell is the second best rebounder of all time, the best defensive player of all time, and one of the better passing bigs of all time, all the while constantly having to leap over massive societal hurdles due to his race.

RWill's career college averages are roughly half what Bill did. Half.

You're also saying he's better than a top 5 post-2010 center of the NBA, and a guy coming off averaging a double-double while starting for the team with the best record in league, while RWill hasn't played a single NBA game yet
I literally said i don't think he can reach Russel's level(and the reason)

As for D.Jordon i think he is way overrated based on his achievement versus ability

AND by the way we are talking about his future not right now(i think it's pretty clear though)

« Reply #1026 on: September 17, 2018, 09:50:24 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
His absolute ceiling is Bill Russel who can shoot and pass better, now i don't think he can be that good because he isn't that competitive and healthy, but he is much more a Bill Russel than a Sean Williams, definitely better than D.Jordon and Capela

Now we know his work ethic is fine the only that can hold him back is his knee injury

What a ludicrous take.

You may try to backpedal, people tend to when they border on the absurd, but you're saying that a healthy Williams is potentially better than Russell. Clearly you aren't a historian of the game.
Season MVP - 5 times
1957-58, 1960-61, 1961-62, 1962-63, 1964-65

Rebounds Leader - 4 times
1957-58, 1958-59, 1963-64, 1964-65

All-NBA First Team - 3 times
1958-59, 1962-63, 1964-65

All-NBA Second Team - 8 times
1957-58, 1959-60, 1960-61, 1961-62, 1963-64, 1965-66, 1966-67, 1967-68

The cherry on top is the assertion that he's better than Jordan or Capela. Again, just absurd takes.

« Reply #1027 on: September 17, 2018, 10:09:15 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

Now we know his work ethic is fine the only that can hold him back is his knee injury

What a ludicrous take.

You may try to backpedal, people tend to when they border on the absurd, but you're saying that a healthy Williams is potentially better than Russell. Clearly you aren't a historian of the game.
Season MVP - 5 times
1957-58, 1960-61, 1961-62, 1962-63, 1964-65

Rebounds Leader - 4 times
1957-58, 1958-59, 1963-64, 1964-65

All-NBA First Team - 3 times
1958-59, 1962-63, 1964-65

All-NBA Second Team - 8 times
1957-58, 1959-60, 1960-61, 1961-62, 1963-64, 1965-66, 1966-67, 1967-68

The cherry on top is the assertion that he's better than Jordan or Capela. Again, just absurd takes.
As i literally said i don't think he can reach Russel because of competitiveness and healthy, other than that his physical tool and skill set and feel for the game/touch/BBall IQ i don't see why he can't reach Russel's level , can you educate me why not?

I think he is a much better prospect then Ayton and Bagley, we will see
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:23:32 AM by playdream »

« Reply #1028 on: September 17, 2018, 10:17:32 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
Well, I am more excited to have Williams than I was Jordan Mickey, but I guess that's not saying much. I think the better word to describe how I feel about Williams is intrigued.

I am not going to put a lot of expectations of him becoming much, but from the 3-4 games I saw him play his freshman year, I thought he had immense potential. Sadly, he didn't seem to develop one bit in the 2 games I saw him play his sophmore year. That, of course, could be explained away to having a bad coach and having to play in basically a two center system. Really, he was poorly handled in college.

That all said, he is a number 27 pick. If he doesn't ever become much, I won't be surprised or disappointed. That's what happens with picks in the low 20's and beyond. But, if he becomes Clint Capella good, that wouldn't surprise me either as I think the kid has tremendous potential.

As Surferdad said earlier, I don't think we will know anymore next year at this time just how good he will be. It's going to be a slow process. He will spend some time in Maine this year for sure and get very, very, very limited minutes in Boston. I am pretty sure we won't know just how good Robert will be until his 3rd or 4th year. So practice patience everyone.
If everyone is healthy RW will start as a 3rd string big, but if one of our big went down he may play as a 2nd big which can log him ~15mins or even more a game, of course will be depend on how quick he learns

« Reply #1029 on: September 17, 2018, 10:18:16 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Williams ?

« Reply #1030 on: September 17, 2018, 10:18:52 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

Williams ?
Yes

« Reply #1031 on: September 17, 2018, 10:40:18 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

If everyone is healthy RW will start as a 3rd string big, but if one of our big went down he may play as a 2nd big which can log him ~15mins or even more a game, of course will be depend on how quick he learns

If Williams earns time he will play this year.  CBS plays the players who earn it especially on the defensive end.  It doesn't matter how many years in the league.  If Williams works his ass off, shows out and is better then the guys ahead of him he will get PT.

« Reply #1032 on: September 17, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Russell was 22 coming into the league after two championships and a gold medal.
Bob Cousy was taking set shots and one hand foul shots College ball was mostly white and the Celtics led the NBA in breaking color barrier.
I played against Cousy in an exhibition game and scored on him the picture is still on my dresser.Russell bridged the modern era of basketball.Was a track and field guy high jump and 220.
.In two years with Boston coaching lets see where that athleticism leads Robert.
I think he has more BBIQ than people give him credit for.
Right now this kid is the number two in the world at jumping reach at 12ft-6 and has unheard off lateral movement.His wingspan is 2 inches greater than Russells.
When Russel hit the NBA it was CYO league by todays standards.
There was only one Russell doesn't mean the Celts can't teach this kid and harness that athleticism.

« Reply #1033 on: September 17, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Right now this kid is the number two in the world at jumping reach at 12ft-6

You keep saying this over and over.
 Some questions:

Where did you get that info?

Who's # 1?

Who's been tested, because I can think of guys like Davis, Giannis, Bamba, etc. that would probably surpass his numbers?

Was this done at a training institute that Williams is a client of?

« Reply #1034 on: September 17, 2018, 11:25:56 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Evans the dunk champ- and look it up
P3 sports science 112 ft from stadnstill 12-6 with approach
The head of bio mechanics did a video on his lateral.