Author Topic: Boston Garden Seat Review: AT&T Sports Deck (Grade B+/A-)  (Read 12325 times)

Boston Garden Seat Review: AT&T Sports Deck (Grade B+/A-)
« on: February 04, 2019, 12:31:57 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I wanted to do something a little different that I hope is helpful to people. Mods, feel free to move this thread somewhere else if needed to. My apologies for the picture quality. Blame Steve Jobs.

For yesterday's game, I bought tickets in the AT&T Sports Deck (SD for the rest of this post). I had some questions about it before the game, but there didn't seem to be a full review of it anywhere, other than a paragraph on Trip Advisor. Thus, here it is.

https://www.tdgarden.com/premium-seating/att-sportsdeck/

Price: We paid ~$150 per ticket on StubHub the day before the game. Of course, they added 20% in fees.  >:(

The "classy" experience starts at the entrance. Rather than wait in line with all the commoners, there is a separate set of metal detectors for those in the premium seats. Truthfully, it didn't move much faster than the regular line, but it made us feel special. Well, not really, but you get the point.

The SD is located all the way at one end of the stadium. I can never remember whether it's the north or south end, but it's over the basket that the Celtics usually shoot at in the first half (same side as the benches). It's on the fifth level, which is only accessible by a really slow elevator. There are also suites and a small "Celtics museum" on the level. Outside, there are three or four food vendors, with higher-end food than you would typically find downstairs (in addition to the traditional stuff). You probably won't need them, though. There are also reserved bathrooms for the level, although they still get busy during intermissions.

The SD is just off the elevators through a pair of glass doors. You must have SD tickets to enter and they'll give you a bracelet once you do so, which will let you come in and out without checking in. There are four rows of bar stool seats, although you can also buy SRO tickets. I was a bit nervous about how high up we are, but the view of the game was quite good.

We were in the fourth row. There are about nine seats in each row and they're packed pretty tightly together. Instead of climbing over people to the side, it was better just to scoot backwards and step out. There is a giant pole right behind Row 4, Seat 7, which impedes your ability to move backwards. Guess how I figured that out.  ::) Most rows, though, seemed to have a few unoccupied seats, which allowed people to move around and create space for themselves.

Food and Drink

The biggest advantage to the section may be that it offers free food and non-alcoholic drinks (You still have to pay for the good stuff.). They advertise it as "appetizers," but there was more than enough food that you never needed to leave the section. We paid exactly $0 for food for the game. Among other items, they offered a really nice cheese platter, fruit and crackers; four hot dishes; popcorn, cookies and brownies; clam chowder; a few other things that I've forgotten:

We got there about an hour before the game and were among the first in the section, so we were able to grab food right away. As more people showed up, it got a little busier, although there were food stations (same food at each, with the exception of the clam chowder, which was only at one end) at either end of the section. When there were a bunch of people going for food at the same time, it got a bit tight, but was never really an issue. They did tend to run out of the hot stuff frequently and the staff was constantly running back and forth to bring trays of food.

Our hot food choices were:

Garlic chicken wings
Grilled Cuban sandwiches
Crab Rangoon
Beer-batter bratwurst

Note: They take the food away at halftime.

Quality? Just like mom makes, if mom were cooking for 16,000 people. It's a ball game, not Per Se.

The bar was in the center of the action, although you could also have drinks delivered to your seat. They could definitely have used an extra bartender there to move things along, but everyone working there was extremely friendly. They also had big TVs over the bar, which meant that I paid $180 for my kid to spend half of his time watching the Bruins game.

The View

You're pretty high up, but the view is still very good (I tried to zoom my camera to give the same impression as what I saw.). Naturally, of course, we were still able to see every Oklahoma City foul that the refs missed.

Depending on where you are sitting, you may have an awkward view of either the scoreboard or the electronic statistics boards that are located on the balcony levels. For instance, we had the corner of the Jumbotron facing us, so we had to twist a little to see the player statistics. Also, the Jumbo obscured our view of the electronic data, which means that we could see OKC's team statistics but not the Celtics'. Nothing serious, though. If you are in the first row of the section, you have a little TV at your seat. Never found out what it was for.

The crowd was pretty much 20 and 30-somethings, although we were not the only family with a kid, either. Although the alcohol flowed pretty freely, it was definitely NOT the obnoxious drunk section.

What's Bad?

Not a lot to complain about, and I'm usually pretty good at that. Here are some of the things that irked me:

1. Once you're up on the fifth level, you're kind of stuck up there. There are escalators going down, but none coming up, which means that you have to wait for the elevator if you want to get back. That elevator is really, really slow.

2. Depending on where your seat is, your view may or may not have a few minor scoreboard obstructions. Nothing at all serious or that can't be solved by twisting your head. Oh, also, if you're in Row 4, Seat 7, you'll have a giant pole behind you.

3. The seats are packed in pretty tight. It would help the comfort level if they took out one in each row (which, of course, they can't really do, since those seats have been sold).

Overall

I'd happily sit in those seats again. My son was most impressed with all the free food/soda and the TVs at the bar, but there is a lot to like about having your own private section. And personally, I was most impressed by this:

Mike

Re: Boston Garden Seat Review: AT&T Sports Deck (Grade B+/A-)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 12:39:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Awesome post.  I'd love to see more of these seat reviews.  They're a great service for fans.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 01:03:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Funny you mention. I bought a 10 game premium package this season in that very same location. My seats are in row B, seats 45/46, section reserved in the AT&T sports deck.

The seats are great and alot more comfortable than the ones in the loge and balcony. You have more space between you and the person next to you and a ledge where you can rest your hands and eat. All in all, I am very happy. The only catch with this package is there's a 3 year commitment (not thrilled, one should have the choice to opt out after every season, but thought the pros outweighed the cons.) However, I was able to purchase the family plan which means all my games are weekend games and I do have access to playoff tickets (same section, though not necessarily same seats. Kind of a weird process, I can elaborate more once the playoffs start, but I am guaranteed two seats.)

The pros (as you mentioned): They have a spread with free food for all fans in that section, which is great. Also, the soda at the bar is free.

Also, there is waitress staff waiting on you with menus near your seats. It's basically food you would buy at the concessions, however it's nice that a waitress can bring the food to you instead (I recommend leaving a nice tip as the waitress will obviously recognize you at the next game.)

Also, just having a bar nearby is great in case you do want a brew or a mixed drink (no, that is not free, lol.)

Btw, I was also at the game yesterday.

Cons -

Both are traffic related.

When I drive in, the traffic on causeway street to get into the North station garage is horrendous. Yesterday, it did take at least a half hour. I suppose it depends on the game. The first few games in November/December weren't bad. The last 2 games (yesterday's Thunder game and the Warriors game last week were awful.)

Also, last week after the Warriors game,  I experienced a horror story trying to find my truck because there literally wasn't an elevator to bring me to the floor I was parked on. I'll just leave that alone and hope it never happens again.

Anyway, I also give these seats and the experience an A-. I would easily say A+, but I think the Celtics front office, Boston police and garage staff need to come up with a way to make the process of entering and exiting the garage MUCH easier. Not sure if this TD garden redevelopment project is playing a factor. For those who don't know, see link below
https://boston.curbed.com/boston-development/2018/11/12/18080276/td-garden-expansion-celtics-bruins

Hope this helps for anyone ever interested in buying seats to this section. I do recommend it.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:08:52 PM by gpap »

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 01:09:25 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I am going to the game tomorrow in Cleveland, for the first time not sitting all the way in the back.
Going to be on the 12th row from court (thanks to a friend) super excited!

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kudos for the review...TP!

I've sat in this section before (7 or 8 years ago) and didn't care for it other than the free 'buffet style' food.  I didn't find the experience worth it for the cost, especially since the seating isn't any more comfortable than the rest of the regular seating areas.  I also don't like sitting behind the basket, if avoidable, and would never pay a premium for it.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I am going to the game tomorrow in Cleveland, for the first time not sitting all the way in the back.
Going to be on the 12th row from court (thanks to a friend) super excited!

Enjoy! They'll probably be more Celtics than Cavs fans.

EDIT: Guess Kyrie isn't playing tomorrow because of another hip injury. Should still be a good game and a win for the good guys.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 02:12:47 PM by gpap »

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 01:45:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Kudos for the review...TP!

I've sat in this section before (7 or 8 years ago) and didn't care for it other than the free 'buffet style' food.  I didn't find the experience worth it for the cost, especially since the seating isn't any more comfortable than the rest of the regular seating areas.  I also don't like sitting behind the basket, if avoidable, and would never pay a premium for it.

Understood. It's not for everybody.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 02:44:32 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

I'll let you know next time I'm up there and buy you a bratwurst (or whatever else they are giving away for free).

We had three, myself, my brother and my 10-year old. It was great seating for everyone.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 08:36:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I'll let you know next time I'm up there and buy you a bratwurst (or whatever else they are giving away for free).

We had three, myself, my brother and my 10-year old. It was great seating for everyone.

Mike

Glad you guys liked it. The Cuban paninis were pretty good.