Author Topic: Kyrie is mind boggling  (Read 6250 times)

Re: Kyrie is mind boggling
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 10:28:47 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I like that we have the best ISO guy on the planet.

Did we trade for Harden? ;)
Ok top 2. No. 1 on some nights.

I'd rather have the ISO player with the best shooting percentage in those situations too. So you were correct, Kyrie is the best.

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 10:39:02 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'd rather have the ISO player with the best shooting percentage in those situations too. So you were correct, Kyrie is the best.

Sorry, not close.  Harden scores significantly more points per possession on isolation plays, while scoring about 3.5 times more points per game in iso.

Kyrie isn’t particularly close to #1.

https://stats.nba.com/players/isolation/?CF=PPG*GE*1:GP*GE*50&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=PPP&dir=1

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 10:46:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

to be fair neither Irving nor Harden were the best performers in the clutch last year. 

http://www.nbaminer.com/clutch-time-stats/

James scored by far the most points and shot a very good 55% doing so.  Antetokounmpo was at 61% (same as Tatum, though Giannis was 13th in points while Tatum was 30th and Giannis scored more than 30 points more than Tatum).  Irving scored the 3rd most points and shot a very respectable 47.5%.  Harden was 22nd in points and a shot a lesser, though still ok, 42.4%.  Ben Simmons shot a shockingly high 68.8% in the clutch last year, which was by far the best of any player with at least 35 clutch points (Chris Paul, Rubio, and then Tatum/Giannis round out the top 5 by % with at least 35 clutch points).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 10:50:00 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Watching Jason be so skilled,so young and Brown make his huge leap but it is the skill level of Kyrie that borders on a magical illusion that is mind boggling .Hayward and Al bring a sensibility to the game while Jason brings skills so refined at such a young age-his smooth long first step and Jaylen with his powerfiul quickness and improved shooting

But i always go back to Kyrie, is it the number of moves in a sequence?The variations or the  inexplicable finishes wrong footed and arsenal of spins off the backboard.The dagger threes.
Or his passing as he breaks down the defense.
They say that Cleveland won the trade by adding some solid young players but Boston got an otherworldly player .
Mind boggling definitions--
intellectually  or emotionally overwhelming
Astonishing,bewildering
Stunning,vivid
Staggering ,mind blowing
That sort of sums up Kyrie

The guy who makes you watch what he did again and again on slo-mo - and you're still not entirely sure how he did that.

ESPN put up a stat that he has the best shooting percentage in the league on shots taken after 10 dribbles. Sounds right...

I hate that stat to be honest. With the way Stevens wants to run his offense (a lot of movement and passing) that speaks to ISO ball. Hopefully there weren't many attempts on this shot after 10 dribbles stat.

I agree with that. We don’t want any one guy holding the ball too long with so many offensive options.

Kyrie is gorgeous to watch when he's on but toward the end of his season I was starting to get very frustrated with him just holding the ball over and over again on offense, especially in the late game. Even when the results were good the offense was stagnating around it.  If he can mix in some healthy ball movement in with the isolation our team can go to the next level.

I agree that I'd rather have fewer dribbles; I complained when he took over games in the 4th quarter last year. But it's a weapon to have so long as he chooses his spots.

If it helps, he's also second-best shooting percentage on shots after 5 dribbles.

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 11:16:19 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Kyrie's real estate acumen is apparently mind boggling.  ;D

https://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/Kyrie-Irving-Gets-Dunked-On-NBA-Star-Sells-Ohio-13307792.php

Bought his Cleveland area house in 2014 (from Boobie Gibson) for $800k.

Tried to sell it in 2017 once he was traded to Boston for $1.7m

Dropped the price to $1.17m in July

Just sold for $755k.

Always think it's cool to see the houses of the stars.  And the realtor.com link for anybody interested in seeing further details (like $17k in property taxes).

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2431-Cornerstone_Westlake_OH_44145_M43703-58652#photo0

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 11:19:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

https://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/Kyrie-Irving-Gets-Dunked-On-NBA-Star-Sells-Ohio-13307792.php

Just sold for $755k.

Always think it's cool to see the houses of the stars.  And the realtor.com link for anybody interested in seeing further details (like $17k in property taxes).

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2431-Cornerstone_Westlake_OH_44145_M43703-58652#photo0

Beautiful home with a handful of terrible / tacky design choices.

I'm shocked that it went for that modest of a price.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 11:51:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Just sold for $755k.

Beautiful home with a handful of terrible / tacky design choices.

I'm shocked that it went for that modest of a price.
Westlake is an ok area (obviously this house is in the nicest part), but it isn't one of the super wealthy/super exclusive neighborhoods in the Cleveland area either.  That house also doesn't have very much land, only 0.6 acres, which is pretty small for that price range on homes.

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 05:52:22 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Sorry, not close.  Harden scores significantly more points per possession on isolation plays, while scoring about 3.5 times more points per game in iso.

https://stats.nba.com/players/isolation/?CF=PPG*GE*1:GP*GE*50&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=PPP&dir=1
Consider that Kyrie played the season on basically one leg until he was shut down for the season.
(Cleveland's doctors aren't the best ones at their job)

Stats are nice, but I look at it like this:
- amazing shooter mid range/3pts/FTs
- has the best handle, perhaps ever
- great driver and finisher left/right/over the top/2nd rim/floater
- every player that spoke about guarding him said that he is unguardable
- creative, he can invent a new play on the fly
- has a track record of being great in the clutch

As I said prior, his ISO heroics will come in handy plenty of times, even more so during the playoffs.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 07:35:22 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Consider that Kyrie played the season on basically one leg until he was shut down for the season.

As I said prior, his ISO heroics will come in handy plenty of times, even more so during the playoffs.

He has a great handle, and he’s a very good finisher. There’s just no evidence that he’s top-two.  Top-10, yes, but not the best.

Kyrie’s weakness on drives compared to Harden is that he doesn’t draw contact.

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 07:52:07 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

He has a great handle, and he’s a very good finisher. There’s just no evidence that he’s top-two.  Top-10, yes, but not the best.

Well on a team with LeBron he got the biggest possible shot (championship-winning shot). That was definitely, like everything else, approved by LBJ, and of course Ty Lue.
So we saw the pecking order right there.

Harden is the "professor" no doubt about that, but I'd say that Harden's weakness is that last 5 playoffs he always looked depleted by the 2nd round. Each player has a weakness.
I also saw many times (last year against us especially, Marcus Smart game)  that referees swallow whistles on minor contact. Therefore decreasing that particular skill of his.
I'd rather have Kyrie.
Please say who are the other top 8/10 ISO guys
KD, Curry...

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 08:23:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Well on a team with LeBron he got the biggest possible shot (championship-winning shot). That was definitely, like everything else, approved by LBJ, and of course Ty Lue.

Harden is the "professor" no doubt about that, but I'd say that Harden's weakness is that last 5 playoffs he always looked depleted by the 2nd round. Each player has a weakness.
I also saw many times (last year against us especially, Marcus Smart game)  that referees swallow whistles on minor contact. Therefore decreasing that particular skill of his.
I'd rather have Kyrie.
KD, Curry...
That shot was with a minute left in the game.  I'm not sure it tells you anything about the pecking order, especially when every single possession started with Lebron James and ended with a Lebron James decision (either a shot by him or a pass to someone else that shot it).  Irving made what ended up being a game winning shot in game 7 of the Finals, but that doesn't tell you much of anything other than Irving is a very good shooter.

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 08:35:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'd rather have Kyrie.
KD, Curry...
That shot was with a minute left in the game.  I'm not sure it tells you anything about the pecking order, especially when every single possession started with Lebron James and ended with a Lebron James decision (either a shot by him or a pass to someone else that shot it).  Irving made what ended up being a game winning shot in game 7 of the Finals, but that doesn't tell you much of anything other than Irving is a very good shooter.

Yes, I think that everyone knows what the pecking order in Cleveland was.

Also, the argument itself doesn’t make a ton of sense historically. I mean, was Steve Kerr higher in the Bulls’ pecking order than MJ?

Regardless, Kyrie is a great dribbler and shooter. He’s just not the best iso scorer.

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 09:12:51 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

I'd rather have Kyrie.
KD, Curry...

Yes, I think that everyone knows what the pecking order in Cleveland was.

Also, the argument itself doesn’t make a ton of sense historically. I mean, was Steve Kerr higher in the Bulls’ pecking order than MJ?

Regardless, Kyrie is a great dribbler and shooter. He’s just not the best iso scorer.
I remember it vividly.
Timeout Cleveland.
Give the ball to Kyrie.
Clear the side.
Let him work.
Swish.

On the next play, LBJ gives the ball to Kyrie.
And on the play after that, Kyrie penetrates and feeds the cutting Lebron, who gets fouled by Green.
In the last minute of game 7, the safest option was Kyrie, 3 times in a row even with LBJ on the team.
It happened because Kyrie is a better outside shooter, better ballhandler and better free throw shooter.

Let's not try to change history.

Tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgVOgGLtPtc&t=347s

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 01:59:49 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Kyrie passes on Sports Illustrated cover with Hayward and Horford unless the team can be included He did a big three cover with Cleveland
.Lets get some wins as a team.

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2018, 02:05:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Kyrie passes on Sports Illustrated cover with Hayward and Horford unless the team can be included He did a big three cover with Cleveland
.Lets get some wins as a team.

Yeah, I think this was cool.

Kyrie has been a big “branding guy” over the last couple of years. Between committing to Boston and this team-oriented approach, I love it.