Author Topic: Celtics 2020 Draft picks  (Read 56375 times)

Re: Celtics 2020 Draft picks
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2020, 08:16:04 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
NBA Draft.net has us taking RJ Hampton at 17. 

Anyone have any thoughts on him? I like his speed and play-making. Needs to improve his shooting.

Really cool scouting breakdown with him and Mike Schmidt, see below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKmuRF--jQI

If Hampton is available at #17 the big is a no brainer for me. He has a lot to work on but is one of the higher ceiling prospects in this class and the Cs have a roster construction that allows for gambling. Very similar to drafting Langford last year the talent is there it just needs to be developed.

the stats say he's 6'5 with a 6'8 wingspan.  what am I missing that makes him a big?  He's shorter than Vassell without as good a shot and a shorter wingspan

The joys of posting from a cell phone,   Was supposed to say “ the pick is a no brainer”
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2020, 04:11:19 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Would like ainge to draft at least one of these FSU kids. That FSU team played with unstoppable grit and looked ready to win the national championship. I wonder if they would get picked much higher had that happened. Nbadraft has us projected to take vassell with pick 30: https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28957 :-X719/fsu-freshman-patrick-williams-declares-nba-draft

Florida State forward Patrick Williams announced Thursday he will forgo his sophomore season to enter the NBA draft.

The 6-foot-8, 225-pound Williams averaged 9.2 points and 4.0 rebounds in his freshman season.

He is the 20th-ranked prospect in ESPN's draft prospect rankings.

Williams is the second FSU player to declare his eligibility for the draft. Sophomore guard Devin Vassell, who led the Seminoles with 12.7 points per game this season, also has said that he'd enter the draft.

The NBA draft is scheduled for June 25, but following worldwide suspensions of basketball activities amid the coronavirus outbreak, NBA front-office executives and others in the industry told ESPN they are bracing for the potential impact of a delayed 2020 draft with a heavily reduced pre-draft process.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28942980/devin-vassell-entering-nba-draft-two-years-florida-state

Florida State guard Devin Vassell, projected as a potential first-round pick, has declared his eligibility for the NBA draft.

Vassell announced on social media on Monday that he would be leaving the Seminoles. Vassell is projected as the 19th-best available player on ESPN's draft board.

"What an incredible two years, Nole Family," he wrote. "It is with a heart full of gratitude that I am entering my name in the 2020 NBA Draft. I'll never forget the amazing ride of these last two years, and I'm excited to see what the future holds."

Vassell, seems like a very safe pick who fills a highly sought after 3-D wing role. I wouldn’t be shocked if a later lottery team like NO drafts him as he easily fits in with the young core they are building.

Williams, very interesting player. He hits a lot of the statistical markers that indicate an NCAA player should be a good pro 1.5+ blk/stl per 36min and good ft% at 83%. He also possesses a clear nba frame/ build and is one of the youngest players in this draft. He role will be a little in clear. His measurements will be interesting he is listed at 6’8 225 with 6’11 wingspan, this makes him same size as Aaron Gordon. On offense I think he is more of a wing while on defense I think he will be a Grant Williams type undersized 4/5. Given his age and current build it isn’t a stretch to think he could easily bulk up to 240s and thrive as a small ball 5.

Williams falls into group along with McDaniels and Achiuwa who I think have a wide range of draft landing spots. I could absolutely see DA drafting him as a longer term developmental project.

I would target P. Williams if I were the C's. 

« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2020, 06:38:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
a good bet would be a short guard who can't shoot  ;D

« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2020, 08:52:16 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
This particular exercise is constructive.

Having three first rounders turns us into 15th through 30th experts this year.

My point is, the Celtics have a young, cheap bench.

Are any of these picks better than Semi? Perhaps with 2 or 3 years of development, but, Semi has played in more than 30 playoff games and "didn't lose" any of them.

My guess is Edwards will stay as he has upside and can shoot the lights out...ahem....in Portland, Maine. Edwards and Waters seem vulnerable after rough rookie seasons, but, Ainge didn't pick them to cut them after a year.

Romeo looks better than any of these draft picks simply because he has most of a rookie year of dumb mistakes out of the way and is wicked talented...I hope. His ceiling is closer.

I don't want to give up on Timelord, but, he is injury prone.

Speaking of Williams's? Grant looks like a legit rotation guy...despite being a half a foot too short for his announced position.

Thus, Ainge should trade in, up or out this year and the player(s) he does pick? Should be an outright gamble...upside city. He's good at that, well, you know what I mean.

(TP to shaqattack for "short guard who can't shoot")

« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2020, 01:11:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like these picks for the Celts

17.   Jaden Mcdaniels - 6'10 and really scrawny at the moment.  But is an exceptional ball handler, passer and scorer. Can get off his jump shot off quickly and over players.  Would be nice to have someone like this come off the bench and provide some scoring

23 (trade 26 and 30). Isaiah Stewart - Reminds me a tad of Al Jefferson. But tad more athletic and explosive.  Strong as an ox.  But lacks a perimeter game.  However is a very good FT shooter and is not turnover prone.  Not the kind of stretch big Brad Stevens likes to incorporate in the lineup. However he made it work with Enes Kanter this season. 

2020-2021 lineup

C- Kanter/Timelord/Stewart
F- Tatum/Grant Williams/McDaniels
F- Hayward/Mcdaniels/Semi
G- Brown/Langford/Edwards
G- Walker/Smart/Waters

« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2020, 02:43:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

17.   Jaden Mcdaniels - 6'10 and really scrawny at the moment.  But is an exceptional ball handler, passer and scorer. Can get off his jump shot off quickly and over players.  Would be nice to have someone like this come off the bench and provide some scoring

23 (trade 26 and 30). Isaiah Stewart - Reminds me a tad of Al Jefferson. But tad more athletic and explosive.  Strong as an ox.  But lacks a perimeter game.  However is a very good FT shooter and is not turnover prone.  Not the kind of stretch big Brad Stevens likes to incorporate in the lineup. However he made it work with Enes Kanter this season. 

2020-2021 lineup

G- Walker/Smart/Waters

Both those players are from University of Washington.  From a friend who’s an alum and follows them very closely, my understanding is that McDaniels has motivation/maturity issues, but Stewart has a great future.

« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2020, 02:43:51 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Triboy TP for two count'em two kids from the same team. Talk about time savings!

Since you can't do anything nowadays, I just spent waaay too much time watching Washington Huskies basketball.

Jaden McDaniels looks kind of good. He's got some hops for 6'9" 200. He's got a handle. The three looks like a possibility. The FT% has a chance of betterment.

He should be able to learn NBA defense, but, looks like some offensive potential here. He's not a linebacker, but, if he can't get thicker? He could be a good 6'9" two.

Stewart looks ok also, but, I kinda like McDaniels.

« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2020, 02:57:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

2020-2021 lineup

G- Walker/Smart/Waters

Kanter your starting center next season? What happened to Theis.  We're screwed.

« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2020, 02:59:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

2020-2021 lineup

G- Walker/Smart/Waters

I doubt you would need to trade up to get Stewart. Plus do we want an old school Greg Monroe center?  I don't think so.

« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2020, 03:49:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

2020-2021 lineup

G- Walker/Smart/Waters

I doubt you would need to trade up to get Stewart. Plus do we want an old school Greg Monroe center?  I don't think so.

They are similar but different

Stewart is a beast and more mobile/athletic than Monroe.  Also is a better perimeter defender

Bread and butter is elite strength and motor. He can wear opponents down

Btw you mention Theis but you know he is only a bandaid solution at the moment. And who knows if the team can even pickup his option for next season with the way things are going now

Stewart highlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXYHT1KgG7k&t=161s

« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2020, 04:05:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Alternative to Isaiah Stewart

Precious Achiuwa and Reggie Perry are decent looking PF/C and should be available in the 20s

- However Achiuwa is a poor FT shooter (59 percent).  I do like his motor, strength and tenacious rebounding ability

- Perry reminds me of a shorter poor man version of Lamarcus Aldridge.  Strong and skilled but kind of floating out on the floor at times. 

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:13:30 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2020, 04:43:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Sporting news mock draft picks for Celtics

17. Isaiah Stewart

26. Leandro Bolmaro (draft and stash)

30.  Aleksej Pokusevski (draft and stash)

I would be cool with this.  Landro Bomaro reminds me of Bogdonovich from the Kings.

« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2020, 04:59:08 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Sporting news mock draft picks for Celtics

17. Isaiah Stewart

26. Leandro Bolmaro (draft and stash)

30.  Aleksej Pokusevski (draft and stash)

I would be cool with this.  Landro Bomaro reminds me of Bogdonovich from the Kings.
Looks like 3 wasted picks..rather trade 2 of those picks..roster full anyhow
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2020, 09:34:00 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

2020-2021 lineup

G- Walker/Smart/Waters

I’m not a fan of McDaniels at #17, he has the talent to be an NBA player but he has a profile that seems to have a high bust rate. His lack of strength is my first red flag for him. Looking back how skinny Tatum was when drafted and comparing it to McDaniels who is 1-2” taller and at least 10lbs lighter worries me. My second red flag is his first step, it appears adequate for a face up big man but at his size and with his perceived skill set he will be expected to play on the wing. Hey as a wing I worry his first step and lack of strength will prevent him from getting any separation vs the average 6’5-6’7 long armed strong cores NBA wing. Brandon Ingram is equally skinny but he has a freakish wingspan to help him finish where McDaniels is listed just under a 7’ wingspan. Good but not great

Stewart I would love in the late first. He isn’t likely to develop into a 25+ mpg starting center but should be a productive rotation level big for many years in the NBA. His length, strength, and FT% are great building blocks for a solid pro. I envision him as a Perk like player who may be out of style in today’s NBA but should still be able to carve out a nice role providing physicality in the paint.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2020, 09:44:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Word from an AD from a school that played Washington before their conference schedule tells me stay far away from Stewart. There are behind the scenes questions on the kid.