Author Topic: Doc: "We have to find the right combo or some people have to go"  (Read 30281 times)

Re: Doc: "We have to find the right combo or some people have to go"
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It's clear to me that Bass and Green have both been infected with a common NBA malady - paid-itis. 

That may be true for Bass, but I don't think that applies to Green at all.  Green has been a bad rebounder but his defense has been pretty good and so has his offense, given that Doc basically never runs a play for him.

Mike

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2013, 11:07:32 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I actually would prefer Doc would focus on coaching and leave the GM work to Ainge.  He should focus on his own job. Sometimes it seems like with his love for veteran players that he does not really like to coach.  Unless Doc means that guys can go to the bench (which should be the bottom line) he should not make it more difficult for Ainge to find trading partners by trashing his players.

Ainge is going to have to determine whether Melo will be able to contribute during the stretch run. If he knows he could contribute he has to not give Doc another veteran option to block his chance.  Personally, I think he could be a decent upgrade over what Ryan Hollins gave us last year.

I think we're beyond concerning ourselves with a stretch run for this year.  I suspect Doc's beyond threatening changes in the rotation and doing so privately.  There's not much further he can go with these guys.

I think he would be one of the harder coaches to be a role player under.  He seems to be big on limiting the roles of the guys he wants to do most of the dirty work. Most of these guys are on multiple year contracts now so maybe they are starting to tune Doc out.

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2013, 11:34:10 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I just have one request to Doc.

PLay Jeff Green on the top of the key, give him an ISO once in a while. He's athletic enough to beat his defender off the dribble.

As for the right combo, I really believe we need a Center and move KG back to PF. Collins isnt cutting it (ya don't say).
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
It's clear to me that Bass and Green have both been infected with a common NBA malady - paid-itis.

Really?  Green's always played like this, inconsistently, averagely.  Unless he was infected with paid-itis from the beginning of his career, he has not yet come down with that common NBA malady that ravages the sack of worthless bums that populate the NBA.  How do these lazy bums even make the NBA in the first place, ya'know?  Must have been their helicopter parents.

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2013, 11:51:24 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
As for the right combo, I really believe we need a Center and move KG back to PF. Collins isnt cutting it (ya don't say).
Gosh, the team is slow enough already.

There are not many centers talented enough for me to put KG back to the PF position. I would much rather pursue a power forward and keep Garnett at the five if at all possible.

Team speed is a major issue for this team. 

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2013, 01:49:06 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Let me first say that I did not watch the Detroit game so I cannot say who Doc is most upset with, though I can tell he is disgusted with the way this team plays in the 1st quarter of games.  And I am too.

Having said that:  I think we are making a too much of this.  Sometimes a coach just has to lay into his players, and that's basically what Doc did (at the same time criticizing himself, ever the players' coach).

It wasn't that long ago that Doc said he liked his team and thought they were getting better.  He wanted to see consistency...day-in, day-out.  Obviously that did not happen in the New Orleans or Detroit games.  The Chicago game was a tough fought game they should have won.

I don't take anything away from this talk about people not taking losing seriously enough.  Who cares about attitudes after losses?  What matters is the attitude on the court, the level of play.

I also don't take anything away from Doc's threats that "guys have to go."  Doc is not the GM.  Danny is.  Danny will definitely trade the whole freaking roster if this team doesn't act and play like a contender.  We don't need Doc handing out threats to make this a reality.

I am glad Doc is p---ed, but if it doesn't make the team play better than all he has done is shown they don't respond to him anymore.  That is what I am most worried about.

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Doc: "We have to find the right combo or some people have to go"

Does that include Doc?  He is, after all, the one that can't find the right combination.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2013, 02:09:46 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

There are not many centers talented enough for me to put KG back to the PF position. I would much rather pursue a power forward and keep Garnett at the five if at all possible.

I don't think our team speed really has to do with our personell but just the style and pace we are playing with. No matter who we do or don't get that is a fundamental change that needs to happen

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Green, Bradley, Lee and Rondo are fast enough.

We need someone to protect the rim when KG is not on the floor, or someone who can take the pounding so KG can be the help defender.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Green, Bradley, Lee and Rondo are fast enough.

We need someone to protect the rim when KG is not on the floor, or someone who can take the pounding so KG can be the help defender.

Barbosa can move a little bit and so can Bass. This should be the most athletic team we have had in this era.

It's just not translating into consistent wins.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2013, 02:36:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think the C's effectiveness on the defensive end of the floor is based around quickness and mobility. Largely led through the exceptional athleticism of Bradley + Rondo in the backcourt and the quickness/mobility of Garnett anchoring the defense. Putting more defensive quickness around those guys will create very good results.

I don't think a slow or mediocre quickness center with KG sliding back to PF will be as impactful an addition defensively as many people hope it will. And offensively, unless that center is reasonably skilled, I think it threatens to take a lot more off table than is added defensively.

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
why does everyone seem to think that Sullinger plays hard all the time ? i rewound the DVR a few times on a play the Bulls scored a layup on the other night. Sullinger's man (Noah) breaks across and then down the lane, receives a pass and drops in a layup.

Sully wasn't even close to seeing the ball and his man and was standing flat-footed without a hint of a basic defensive stance (all fundamentals a good high school player knows to do). he should have easily beaten Noah to the spot and denied the pass. either lazy or clueless about basic defensive fundamentals or both.
You're judging sully's hard work with that one play? Then you haven't seen him play hard then. He plays hard and only limited and stop by bad foul calls.

of course i'm not summing up Sullinger's ability/effort based on one play - i see him (and Green too for that matter) constantly looking around befuddled after their man cuts without the ball, then receives a pass for an easy layup.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2013, 04:35:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
why does everyone seem to think that Sullinger plays hard all the time ? i rewound the DVR a few times on a play the Bulls scored a layup on the other night. Sullinger's man (Noah) breaks across and then down the lane, receives a pass and drops in a layup.

Sully wasn't even close to seeing the ball and his man and was standing flat-footed without a hint of a basic defensive stance (all fundamentals a good high school player knows to do). he should have easily beaten Noah to the spot and denied the pass. either lazy or clueless about basic defensive fundamentals or both.
You're judging sully's hard work with that one play? Then you haven't seen him play hard then. He plays hard and only limited and stop by bad foul calls.

of course i'm not summing up Sullinger's ability/effort based on one play - i see him (and Green too for that matter) constantly looking around befuddled after their man cuts without the ball, then receives a pass for an easy layup.
looking around befuddled doesn't mean you aren't trying hard.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
This message was clearly aimed at Bass and The Jet.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

you aren't paying attention even stars can have mental breakdowns the kid is a rookie afterall but he is busting his butt out there
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk