Author Topic: Cheaper center options  (Read 5786 times)

Re: Cheaper center options
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2020, 08:46:00 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If Kanter does leave or gets traded, I would still really like Ainge to get another quality rotation big man. (...) As mentioned by others, both Plumlee and Baynes would fit those qualifications as talented veterans who may be willing to come off the bench, but also could contest for serious minutes.
Nerlens Noel would be an interesting option as well.
Does Nerlens still have deluded ideas about what he's worth? He'd be exciting, but not sure he offers much different to Timelord. Would rather try and lock up a big-bodied banger like Baynes
I'd rather have Baynes too.

Assuming we dump Kanter for a future pick + cap relief, I'd be willing to offer Noel the taxpayer MLE (like we did with Kanter). Not sure whether it would be enough.

Insert Baynes instead of Kanter, and we are quite a bit better.  Baynes / Theis / Williams is a much better big trio
Would Baynes be willing to sign for the taxpayer MLE? This is the question. It seems likely that we won't be able to offer him more than that. Imo, Noel and Plumlee are probably more realistic options.

Again, this is assuming we trade Kanter for future pick(s) + cap relief (or he opts out and walks).

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2020, 12:39:47 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If Kanter does leave or gets traded, I would still really like Ainge to get another quality rotation big man. (...) As mentioned by others, both Plumlee and Baynes would fit those qualifications as talented veterans who may be willing to come off the bench, but also could contest for serious minutes.
Does Nerlens still have deluded ideas about what he's worth? He'd be exciting, but not sure he offers much different to Timelord. Would rather try and lock up a big-bodied banger like Baynes

Assuming we dump Kanter for a future pick + cap relief, I'd be willing to offer Noel the taxpayer MLE (like we did with Kanter). Not sure whether it would be enough.

Insert Baynes instead of Kanter, and we are quite a bit better.  Baynes / Theis / Williams is a much better big trio
Would Baynes be willing to sign for the taxpayer MLE? This is the question. It seems likely that we won't be able to offer him more than that. Imo, Noel and Plumlee are probably more realistic options.

Again, this is assuming we trade Kanter for future pick(s) + cap relief (or he opts out and walks).
If Baynes wants more than MLE I wouldn’t be opposed to a sign and trade proposal to the suns ... something like send them Romeo and timelord ( keep Kanter ).
I feel bad for Romeo and TL as I think they are wasting their development here. Their ceiling is not super high but with playing time on the suns they can become good contributors and get decent second contracts.

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2020, 12:54:27 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

If Baynes wants more than MLE I wouldn’t be opposed to a sign and trade proposal to the suns ... something like send them Romeo and timelord ( keep Kanter ).
I feel bad for Romeo and TL as I think they are wasting their development here. Their ceiling is not super high but with playing time on the suns they can become good contributors and get decent second contracts.
Wow, I mean WOW....sure glad you are not the GM!

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2020, 06:11:03 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Yes, WOW indeed.

Is NKY fan actually a missspelling for NYK fan. Only the Knicks would do something stupid like that.

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2020, 06:17:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
maybe we should just go " centerless "   :P

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2020, 06:21:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I d definitely give Cousins a look.   Big body that can shoot a decent outside shot .   Kanter looks ruff .

besides , he never is boring to watch on court.

He looks cooked. Practically a Shaq in 2011 Celtics. One wrong fall or bad run full-court and his foot will give up.

he is no more a glass doll than Hayward ....who may break every year AFTER he is resigned .    Kinda .....the way its going to be its going to turn out for Nets with kD and Irving ....both will never see time on the floor together past mid season.

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2020, 06:34:24 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Yes, WOW indeed.

Is NKY fan actually a missspelling for NYK fan. Only the Knicks would do something stupid like that.
Would you rather use Baynes tomorrow Vs 76rs or timelord + Romeo ?
Would you rather have them rot on the bench and Maine and discuss every minute of garbage time they get vs having a good NBA center on the team ?
Yabu was also a star in the making then a week later he got cut.

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2020, 06:46:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yes, WOW indeed.

Would you rather use Baynes tomorrow Vs 76rs or timelord + Romeo ?
Would you rather have them rot on the bench and Maine and discuss every minute of garbage time they get vs having a good NBA center on the team ?
Yabu was also a star in the making then a week later he got cut.
Given that our best players are 22 and 23 years old, that's not really relevant. We're beating Philly with Timelord and Romeo, so there's literally no point to the discussion. Giving up on a lottery pick for an injury-prone 260+lbs big man who turns 34 soon is such a terrible move
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2020, 07:03:58 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
1. Imo, this would be a massive overpay. I wouldn't even trade one of Timelord/Romeo for Baynes, much less both of them.

2. If a team participates in a sign and trade, it becomes hard-capped at the apron for the rest of the season. Assuming Hayward opts in and we target Baynes via a sign and trade, we'll probably end up above the apron, hence we won't be allowed to finilize the sign and trade.

3. Even if we manage to stay below the apron at the conclusion of the trade, it's possible that the trade still wouldn't work because of the Base Year Compensation rule.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q93
Quote from: Larry Coon's CBA FAQ
If a team re-signs its Larry Bird or Early Bird free agent in order to trade the player in a sign-and-trade transaction, the player's new salary is greater than the minimum, he receives a raise greater than 20%, and the team is at or above the cap immediately after the signing, then the player's outgoing salary for trade purposes is either his previous salary or 50% of his new salary, whichever is greater. The team receiving the player always uses his new salary.

The Suns would have to sign Baynes via their cap space. Hard to say whether they'd be willing to do so. We don't even know the final cap figures yet. Alternativelly, the C's would have to offer Baynes less than $6,543,936 in year one (120% of his current salary), at which point I don't see why he'd sign with us.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 07:33:07 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2020, 10:16:09 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Myles Turner is the perfect center option for Brad's system and this Celtics team. Stud on defense, spreads the floor.

I don't see the numbers matching up to get him however.

We'd need to get to roughly 14,300,000 mil to send out in a trade. Without touching Marcus, Kemba, JT, Brown, Hayward, that's tough. The luxury of having three first round picks however is nice. We can send out some of our youth and replenish those roster spots with the picks.

If we kept Theis we'd literally have to make an offer of Kanter, Porier, Langford, G Williams, Ojele, and one of our firsts this year.

Indy gets a plethora of youth and Kanter plus a pick but why take on so many fringe guys when you're a playoff team? It doesn't make sense for them but would be great for us.

Kemba/Waters/Wanamaker
Brown/Smart/Green
Hayward/FA
Tatum/FA
Turner/Theis/RW3

For a rotation of something like:

Kemba 32/Waters 16/Edwards
Brown 18/Smart 30/Green
Hayward 34/Brown 16
Tatum 34/Theis 14
Turner 30/Theis 10/RW3 8

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2020, 10:20:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Myles Turner is the perfect center option for Brad's system and this Celtics team. Stud on defense, spreads the floor.

I don't see the numbers matching up to get him however.

We'd need to get to roughly 14,300,000 mil to send out in a trade. Without touching Marcus, Kemba, JT, Brown, Hayward, that's tough. The luxury of having three first round picks however is nice. We can send out some of our youth and replenish those roster spots with the picks.

If we kept Theis we'd literally have to make an offer of Kanter, Porier, Langford, G Williams, Ojele, and one of our firsts this year.

Indy gets a plethora of youth and Kanter plus a pick but why take on so many fringe guys when you're a playoff team? It doesn't make sense for them but would be great for us.

Kemba/Waters/Wanamaker
Brown/Smart/Green
Hayward/FA
Tatum/FA
Turner/Theis/RW3

For a rotation of something like:

Kemba 32/Waters 16/Edwards
Brown 18/Smart 30/Green
Hayward 34/Brown 16
Tatum 34/Theis 14
Turner 30/Theis 10/RW3 8

RW3 8 min per game. Wow. You have pretty low opinion of his future.