Author Topic: Expect the unexpected.....which star could wear green in December?  (Read 7425 times)

Re: Expect the unexpected.....which star could wear green in December?
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2020, 10:37:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Do you not think that Lavine could be a product of two of the worst NBA environments in the league?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2020, 08:54:45 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Do you not think that Lavine could be a product of two of the worst NBA environments in the league?
Possibly. It doesn't really matter though. I mean, if he had been drafted by a team like the Spurs, it's possible that he would have become a different player. That's irrelevant by now. LaVine ain't a prospect anymore. He's a 6-year NBA vet. His approach to the game won't change all that much in the future. Obviously, he puts up great numbers. Good for him. I couldn't care less to be honest. The way he plays, he makes everyone around him worse. At the end of the day, he makes his team worse. That's all that matters.

Here's how I would describe his game

Pros

- He's super athletic

- He's an efficient ISO scorer

- He's an above average shooter off the dribble which is a very important skill for an ISO scorer (36.4% from 3 this season in 4.7 attempts per game)

Cons

- He's a ball hog

- He's terrible at reading the game on both ends of the court. His assists to t/o ratio is 1.44 (=3.6/2.5), which is a way below average number for a ball-dominant guard.

- He's only capable of playing at a breakneck pace. Whenever the game slows down, he makes one stupid mistake after the other.

- He's a lazy defender. Bad 1-on-1 D, bad team D.

LaVine kind of reminds me of Westbrook. I never liked Westbrook's game. I don't like LaVine's game either.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:08:41 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2020, 04:36:27 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Possibly. It doesn't really matter though. I mean, if he had been drafted by a team like the Spurs, it's possible that he would have become a different player. That's irrelevant by now. LaVine ain't a prospect anymore. He's a 6-year NBA vet. His approach to the game won't change all that much in the future. Obviously, he puts up great numbers. Good for him. I couldn't care less to be honest. The way he plays, he makes everyone around him worse. At the end of the day, he makes his team worse. That's all that matters.

Here's how I would describe his game

Pros

- He's super athletic

- He's an efficient ISO scorer

- He's an above average shooter off the dribble which is a very important skill for an ISO scorer (36.4% from 3 this season in 4.7 attempts per game)

Cons

- He's a ball hog

- He's terrible at reading the game on both ends of the court. His assists to t/o ratio is 1.44 (=3.6/2.5), which is a way below average number for a ball-dominant guard.

- He's only capable of playing at a breakneck pace. Whenever the game slows down, he makes one stupid mistake after the other.

- He's a lazy defender. Bad 1-on-1 D, bad team D.

LaVine kind of reminds me of Westbrook. I never liked Westbrook's game. I don't like LaVine's game either.

Ya I mean at least with Westbrook he showed he could be the best player and major driving force on a team that makes the playoffs in the western conference, Lavine has so far showed he can put up numbers on 30 win teams.

Honestly I wouldn't take LaVine if the Bulls offered him for free just taking on his contract. Doesn't positively impact winning.

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2020, 04:38:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Lavine is the ultimate "empty calorie" guy in today's NBA.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team