Author Topic: Keep Al, Sign Kemba idea that works within cap rules  (Read 24363 times)

Re: Keep Al, Sign Kemba idea that works within cap rules
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2019, 06:28:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Apparently Kevin O'Connor just said on The Ringer podcast that he's hearing Horford is likely going to Philly

That'd be a gut punch. Was happy with Al going elsewhere for bigger money, but if he goes to Philly on similar money, that's pretty effed up, especially because I do not like that fit at all. Al is starting to lose a step as he ages, and there's no way he can play PF full-time now with how small everyone has gone.

Like I said, I think it's quite possible that Al just wants to move on.

It also could be that he got p---ed at one of Danny's lowball offers.  That's why he left Atlanta, after all.

He seems like a quiet dude, but he's also prideful.  We saw Ray do the same thing in reaction to a perceived slight.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2019, 06:28:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Apparently Kevin O'Connor just said on The Ringer podcast that he's hearing Horford is likely going to Philly

It is not that easy.  They would have to renounce a bunch of players.  If they are able to keep Harris and Butler and add Horford, they are pretty good but if they lose Butler in all of this but add Horford, I am not all that worried.

« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2019, 06:34:30 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

It is not that easy.  They would have to renounce a bunch of players.  If they are able to keep Harris and Butler and add Horford, they are pretty good but if they lose Butler in all of this but add Horford, I am not all that worried.

Sounds like Butler wants to go to Miami, so I'm wondering if they'll cooperate in a sign & trade.

Either way, Philly lost. I love Al, but they squandered a ton of assets for half a season of Butler and Harris.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2019, 06:37:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We can’t do sign and trade of Al to Philly. Unless that’s the only way they can sign him?

« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2019, 06:39:11 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

That'd be a gut punch. Was happy with Al going elsewhere for bigger money, but if he goes to Philly on similar money, that's pretty effed up, especially because I do not like that fit at all. Al is starting to lose a step as he ages, and there's no way he can play PF full-time now with how small everyone has gone.

If the concern is Al losing a step, shouldn't you be glad if he ends up with a rival?

I'm speaking about him primarily playing the PF position. I think he's a full-time center at this point, as he can't be out on the perimeter full-time at this stage in his career. Doesn't make sense as a fit next to Embiid to me.

« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25

If the concern is Al losing a step, shouldn't you be glad if he ends up with a rival?

I'm speaking about him primarily playing the PF position. I think he's a full-time center at this point, as he can't be out on the perimeter full-time at this stage in his career. Doesn't make sense as a fit next to Embiid to me.

And with Harris at the 3.

The glass half-full perspective is that Horford is an improvement over Harris at the 4.  Harris can match the weaker opponent wing. They'll be very long and super dominant on the boards. Make opponents' offense one-and-done. And offensively it can be a spectacular fit.

Curious to see who is going to play the other perimeter position if they indeed replace Butler with Horford. They must try to find a good defender, better than Ennis, SImmons, etc.

« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2019, 07:29:13 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Hearing that there is possibility the the Nets could revive S&T talks with the Boston Celtics for Kyrie Irving.

Deals are agreed to, but a ton of moving parts for how these deals are actually executed before anything can be official on 7/6.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1145473012487139329

« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2019, 07:31:25 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Hearing that there is possibility the the Nets could revive S&T talks with the Boston Celtics for Kyrie Irving.

Deals are agreed to, but a ton of moving parts for how these deals are actually executed before anything can be official on 7/6.

Asked in another thread, but is he reliable (Keith Smith)? Guy has changed his stance on this like 5 times already
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2019, 07:36:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Asked in another thread, but is he reliable (Keith Smith)? Guy has changed his stance on this like 5 times already

Not reliable, but with a week to go I doubt anything is "dead".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2019, 07:39:37 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
There was a rumor about the Nets doing a sign and trade with GSW for Russell.  That deal makes no sense.  Why would GSW want to pay Russell?  This seems to me to be the ploy by the Nets to get Boston and Charlotte to up the ante so to speak, make it seem like they have another deal they can go to.  This 3-way makes too much sense for it to fall apart.  I will remain hopeful.

The 2-way with Charlotte only works if we renounce Horford which is not the end of the world but much better if we can sign and trade him and get something.  I am like everyone else.  I don't know how the Rozier piece fits in under that scenario.

« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2019, 07:40:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Any update on Al?  Seems like he is tied into Kawhi. Otherwise why the delay? Seems like the original Clipper rumor could bear out.

« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2019, 07:40:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I personally don’t think he’s that reliable.  I haven’t really found him respectable since the easily debunkable Danny Ainge is secretly meeting Blake Griffin rumors from three summers ago that he thought he broke.

Essentially my theory has been this: the Nets want a first. The Celtics aren’t going to do that unless they have something worth a first lined up.  Right now they don’t.  If it’s Horford (either returning or out via a S&T that brings them something useful) then they probably send out a 1st (likely Milwaukee’s, perhaps their own with some protection).  Otherwise they just do the deal with Charlotte and move forward.  Or perhaps if Horford goes elsewhere the Nets drop their asking price, because they recognize there is less value for the C’s.

« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2019, 07:43:48 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Any update on Al?  Seems like he is tied into Kawhi. Otherwise why the delay? Seems like the original Clipper rumor could bear out.

Stone cold silence on him thus far. I'm hoping he's working with Danny to find a number that works for them both.

« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2019, 07:44:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I personally don’t think he’s that reliable.  I haven’t really found him respectable since the easily debunkable Danny Ainge is secretly meeting Blake Griffin rumors from three summers ago that he thought he broke.

Essentially my theory has been this: the Nets want a first. The Celtics aren’t going to do that unless they have something worth a first lined up.  Right now they don’t.  If it’s Horford (either returning or out via a S&T that brings them something useful) then they probably send out a 1st (likely Milwaukee’s, perhaps their own with some protection).  Otherwise they just do the deal with Charlotte and move forward.  Or perhaps if Horford goes elsewhere the Nets drop their asking price, because they recognize there is less value for the C’s.

What are we trying to accomplish? Being able to sign Al, or creating space to sign a good FA big like Favors? What would the Brooklyn sign and trade accomplish? Our ability to do either? Confused.

« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2019, 07:46:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

What are we trying to accomplish? Being able to sign Al, or creating space to sign a good FA big like Favors? What would the Brooklyn sign and trade accomplish? Our ability to do either? Confused.

Actually Saltlover you already explained in your response. Sorry.