Author Topic: Sam Hinkie was a genius. He's 100% right now.  (Read 36969 times)

Re: Sam Hinkie was a genius. He's 100% right now.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 12:25:08 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Things look good for them at the moment, but they haven't won anything yet, or even come close. And I still expect Embiid to get injured again.
We have won anything yet or even come close either.

Exactly. If you take off the green tinted glasses, their young core is just as good as ours is.

No, we haven't, but I didn't say we had (not that you did, just saying that I didn't). They have a good young core, but only time will tell the full tale, for them and for us.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 12:51:01 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
They are just hot right now... it won't last long

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 01:06:23 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I never understood why they fired him. Why would you allow him to execute a 7 year plan but not give him 7 years? IIRC he offered management a 3 year, 5 year, and 7 year rebuild and they chose the 7 year plan, but then fired him 3 years in. Doesn't make sense.

Because he would have continued his blatant tanking even after acquiring franchise players. It was only in Collangelo's tenure that the organization decided to stop tanking by signing solid veteran players. Part of the Sixer's success this season are veteran presence like Amir, Reddick and Bellinelli.
Maybe, but who's to say that's a better strategy. It simply doesn't make sense for the 76ers management to endorse a 7 year plan, and then only give him 3.

Sixers showed no improvement during his 3-year tenure. I would fire someone too if I see no improvements with the team in that time span.  At least with Danny, we see improvements every year. Let's not forget he have wasted two top 10 picks already for nothing. That's like praising the Cavs management for drafting Lebron James when it was a no-brainer.
You're missing the point. If the 76ers wanted improvement within 3 years, they should have gone with the 3 year plan. Since they chose the 7 year plan, you would think they would let him try to implement the plan that management chose. Instead they fired him not even halfway into the 7 years. I don't know why you're not grasping this concept.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 01:16:57 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I never understood why they fired him. Why would you allow him to execute a 7 year plan but not give him 7 years? IIRC he offered management a 3 year, 5 year, and 7 year rebuild and they chose the 7 year plan, but then fired him 3 years in. Doesn't make sense.

Because he would have continued his blatant tanking even after acquiring franchise players. It was only in Collangelo's tenure that the organization decided to stop tanking by signing solid veteran players. Part of the Sixer's success this season are veteran presence like Amir, Reddick and Bellinelli.
Maybe, but who's to say that's a better strategy. It simply doesn't make sense for the 76ers management to endorse a 7 year plan, and then only give him 3.

Sixers showed no improvement during his 3-year tenure. I would fire someone too if I see no improvements with the team in that time span.  At least with Danny, we see improvements every year. Let's not forget he have wasted two top 10 picks already for nothing. That's like praising the Cavs management for drafting Lebron James when it was a no-brainer.
You're missing the point. If the 76ers wanted improvement within 3 years, they should have gone with the 3 year plan. Since they chose the 7 year plan, you would think they would let him try to implement the plan that management chose. Instead they fired him not even halfway into the 7 years. I don't know why you're not grasping this concept.

I don't know where did you get those 7 year plan from. The standard plan was to develop players and improve the team which Hinkie didn't do. Sixers just lucked out with the ping pong balls. That sure paved off for now, but that's not a hard thing to do when luck bounces your way.

So you're gonna ignore the part where I said they have wasted the talents of both Noel and Okafor? They couldn't even get a decent return for them. It's okay when someone waste mid-late 1st rounders. Its another when its in top 10 lottery, especially if you tanked hard for those.

So in short, the OP is wrong when he said Hinkie is 100% right. Its more than a luck than a calculated move.

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 01:36:05 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

I don't know where did you get those 7 year plan from. The standard plan was to develop players and improve the team which Hinkie didn't do. Sixers just lucked out with the ping pong balls. That sure paved off for now, but that's not a hard thing to do when luck bounces your way.

So you're gonna ignore the part where I said they have wasted the talents of both Noel and Okafor? They couldn't even get a decent return for them. It's okay when someone waste mid-late 1st rounders. Its another when its in top 10 lottery, especially if you tanked hard for those.

So in short, the OP is wrong when he said Hinkie is 100% right. Its more than a luck than a calculated move.
Lol you've never even heard of Hinkie's 7 year plan and yet here you are arguing. If you don't know what you're talking about, there's no reason to try to create something out of nothing. Go do a little research and then come back with what you find.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 01:39:43 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Classic early overover reaction thread. A 7 year tank job is a fan nightmare. That team is going to be good, but to early to tell, plus, when embiid plays 70 games in a season, I will be convinced that he can be healthy enough to make them a contenser. Simmons is better than advertised, but how eill he and fultz coexist is beyond me.
Lebron joining them, thats a whole different animal, but still, Boston will be a killer team with star/superstar players in kyrie/al/hayward/brown/tatum/smart
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 02:26:51 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Hnkie is not the only GM who managed to rebuild the team in 5y. In fact the way he took was the one who demanded the least GM talent. In fact imho he didn't actually do that good. When you draft that high you cannot miss half of your picks. Simmons and Embiid are studs , we are waiting for Fultz and Noel and Okafor were huge misses. All top3 picks (at the same time Ainge gets heat for poor drafting at the end of the first round!)

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/4/9/17214238/philadelphia-76ers-process-sam-hinkie-nba-playoffs

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 02:59:47 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Hnkie is not the only GM who managed to rebuild the team in 5y. In fact the way he took was the one who demanded the least GM talent. In fact imho he didn't actually do that good. When you draft that high you cannot miss half of your picks.

Agreed, people are just desperate to be proven right.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 03:01:34 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Doesn't take a genius to TANK for 7 years...Danny Ainge is a Genius. We'd be a Top 2 team, with no injuries...Looking at Ring 18
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 03:10:00 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
A lot of sour grapes in this thread. Give credit where it's due: Sixers have a really good young core and will be a factor in the East for years to come.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 03:42:04 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
A lot of sour grapes in this thread. Give credit where it's due: Sixers have a really good young core and will be a factor in the East for years to come.
Even I can pull the 7 year tank and get some nice young core
Their best MAX player is made of glass, 2nd and 3rd player can not shoot outside the paint and on the line lol

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 04:09:23 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Credit is one thing ... Calling him a genius though is too much.

One way or another he turned sixers into good team with bright future. That is true. But acting like  he is me magician GM who turned coal into diamonds is silly especially when other GMs have done it without turning their teams into an embarrassment first 

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 06:19:18 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
7 years is a long time.  If I add 7 years to my age I'd seem like an old man.  I'd never want the Celtics to wait that long to contend.  That's a pretty big chunk of my life.

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 07:32:32 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Credit is one thing ... Calling him a genius though is too much.

One way or another he turned sixers into good team with bright future. That is true. But acting like  he is me magician GM who turned coal into diamonds is silly especially when other GMs have done it without turning their teams into an embarrassment first

I agree with your takes. Hinkie isn't a genius; he just actually had the nerve to continue to lose year after year. Being in a stable market like Philly probably helped a lot, too. If he had been in say NOP or MEM and did such a thing, the teams probably would have packed up and moved to Seattle or Vegas.

It worked out even better for him that the most of the top players he took were injured for a year plus. It ensured that they couldn't possible improve their record by playing actual good players.

I understand that things seem to be working out for PHI, but look no further than our own Danny Ainge when searching for an NBA GM genius. He continues to pull off the most lopsided of trades and has proven to be a very good evaluator of talent in the draft. Heck, the Cs were even rated as the team with the best free agent pitches across the league.

Frankly, two of the best moves I think Hinkie made were to trade MCW for the Lakers pick and take on Landry, Thompson, and Stauskas for the Sac pick. Those were actually shrewd moves.

And as far as Lebron goes - just about any team would become a championship contender with him on their team! We had max cap space for each of the last two seasons, too; wouldn't it have been pretty cool if Lebron wanted to sign with us?

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 07:39:02 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Hinkie did a good job cleaning up the old mediocre Sixers roster for assets to build a real contender with.  Though I feel he went a little overboard with the tank job and some of his high risk lottery drafts haven't panned out. This means Colangelo had an easier job than most to turn a young team into a contender than most

Hinkie did a decent job, but to call him a genius who was 100% right is a bite much
Banner 18 please 😍