Author Topic: Patriots 2017 season  (Read 76876 times)

Re: Patriots 2017 season
« Reply #165 on: December 04, 2017, 04:09:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Looks like Gronk is being suspended one game, but will appeal it.

Rob Gronkowski suspended one game.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/937778786501787648

« Reply #166 on: December 04, 2017, 04:12:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Sounds fair.

Glad it wasn't 2+ games, and happy that he will be available in 2 weeks for that huge game @Pittsburgh.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2017, 04:20:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Sounds fair.

Glad it wasn't 2+ games, and happy that he will be available in 2 weeks for that huge game @Pittsburgh.
Honestly glad for the rest.

If we beat the Steelers we can drop one of the other 3 and I think we beat Miami easily even without gronk.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2017, 04:22:35 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It was a cheap shot. 

I think one game is a fair punishment for that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2017, 05:02:33 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
Another game Belichick is leaving Brady and Gronk and various other guys in there way way too long because he either doesn't have confidence in Hoyer or his defense or both. I wish just one journalist or reporter had the guts to call him on it but none of them do.
Someone called him for it last week and Belichick shut them down pretty quick. He wasn't nice about it either.
He had cop out answers and someone should say that to his face. "Tell me the play he'll get hurt on."  What a stupid thing to say. And this from the guy who routinely holds players out of preseason games and has had plenty of seasons ruined by injuries.
Belichick has had a bunch of seasons ruined by injury? They have been to 11 AFC championships, 7 Superbowls and won 5 Superbowls. Kinda hard to say he had too many seasons ruined by injury.
Well there were the Gronk arm seasons. There was the Brady ACL season.  This season things don't look great on the injury front.

By "ruined"  I mean there was an opportunity to do better there.

Did those seasons get ruined by leaving guys in too long? I don't think so. But there have definitely been seasons where injuries played a significantly negative part
Maybe I read it wrong but it sure seemed to me that you were saying that Belichick was somehow responsible for injuries that "ruined" seasons for the Pats. If you aren't saying that then what is your point?

Injuries are part of the game. You deal with them much like they did with Gronk last season and with how they are dealing with injuries to Edelman and Hightower this year. The only way you can complain about Belichick leaving guys in too long is if someone gets injured in blowout garbage time. I don't think that's ever happened.
I don't think a Pats season has ever been ruined by an injury that Belichick was responsible for. I don't think he was responsible for Brady's knee, nor when they targeted Gronk's knee. I do think he was responsible for having Edelman out there in a meaningless preseason game, but this season isn't ruined by that. If we get to the Super Bowl and the other team just covers all our guys and nobody can get open.....it would be a stretch, but I think under that circumstance you could say "Shouldn't have had starters in a meaningless preseason game they didn't need to be in."

I agree I can't think of a time a player ever got hurt in garbage time (unless you see preseason as garbage time) but just because it doesn't happen doesn't mean it never could.
I am torn with preseason games. The games definitely help players get up to game speed and provides time to get your body, timing, and instincts up to what you want. They are also necessary for the coaches to assess talent and teach the system in gam situations.

On the other hand, long time vets probably need this less if they are committed to being in shape during the offseason. And, with 4 games, it just increases the chances of injury.

Not sure I would blame the coach for having a vet playing in the preseason and getting hurt. Again, its part of the game and I am sure most vets want to get some preseason playing time in to assess where they are and what they have to do moving forward.
You've also gotta remember that it was a completely non contact play where he got injured, not like he was out there getting smacked around by a defense. He could've just as easily tore his acl in pregame warmups or practice. Can't keep these guys bubble wrapped all the time, they gotta get reps in.

And honestly as far as preseason goes I'd be willing to bet Bill plays his starters the least minutes in the league. Usually no starters play week 1, then maybe the first half of weeks 2 and 3 and then off again week 4. He's constantly evaluating the talent of the new and young guys on the team fighting for a spot. Just look at all the undrafted and late draft picks that become important pieces on his team's over the years
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2017, 05:03:04 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
So are games are:

@ Miami
@ Pittsburgh
vs. Buffalo
vs. New York Jets

I think this comes down to when the appeal hearing is scheduled.  The Buffalo game may be the best one for him to miss.  He can appeal, wait for the appeal to be scheduled, drop the appeal after the Pittsburgh game, serve it against Buffalo, and get ready for the playoffs.  Now if the appeal is scheduled before Pittsburgh, just serve it against Miami.  One game is fair, I don't see how an appeal will change this.

« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2017, 05:05:35 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
That was dirty, Gronk. Just sit it out. Don't appeal, or you're gonna face what Zeke is facing which will drive us all a headache.

Get your rest next week and bring your 200% against the Steelers.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2017, 05:07:55 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Sounds fair.

If we beat the Steelers we can drop one of the other 3 and I think we beat Miami easily even without gronk.

No easy cakewalk. Patriots historically struggles winning in Miami at this time of year. Then they gotta play at one of the most hostile environments in the NFL in Heinz Field. Next they play the Bills again who may want revenge, followed by the Jets who like to push the Pats to the edge plus they may rest their starters to get ready for the playoffs.

Division games are gonna be rough. I think the Pats will drop 2 of those 4 games. @MIA and vs NYJ.

« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2017, 05:16:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Sounds fair.

No easy cakewalk. Patriots historically struggles winning in Miami at this time of year. Then they gotta play at one of the most hostile environments in the NFL in Heinz Field. Next they play the Bills again who may want revenge, followed by the Jets who like to push the Pats to the edge plus they may rest their starters to get ready for the playoffs.

Division games are gonna be rough. I think the Pats will drop 2 of those 4 games. @MIA and vs NYJ.

Eh I honestly think if we lose the final game to NYJ, it will be because we already clinched the 1 seed and pretty much rested everyone.

Can't see them losing that game @Gillette Stadium if a 1 seed is on the line.

« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2017, 05:16:42 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
So Buffalo escapes with the OT win today leaving it up to the Pats if they are going to clinch the East this week.

Big Sunday night game.  If Steelers lose tonight and Pats win on Monday, I think Pats can clinch home field next Sunday.   Not positive about that as Jacksonville and Titans are both 8-4.  Jags and Titans play each other Week 17. One of them could end up 12-4. 

« Reply #175 on: December 10, 2017, 08:26:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Not Patriots related, but YIKES.. was watching the Rams-Eagles game (great game btw), but looks like Wentz may have torn his ACL and could be done for the season  :(

Really hate to see that happen, especially with the season he was having.

That may shift the NFC picture a ton, as Foles is decent but he's no Wentz. Sucks for Eagles fans, they were HUGE SB favorites heading into this week.

I think, despite the loss to Carolina today, this makes it more likely the Vikings are favorites in the NFC, or maybe an NFC South team (whoever wins the division, which is real tight between NO, ATL, and CAR, though personally I think NO and CAR are the better teams).

« Reply #176 on: December 10, 2017, 08:39:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Not Patriots related, but YIKES.. was watching the Rams-Eagles game (great game btw), but looks like Wentz may have torn his ACL and could be done for the season  :(

That may shift the NFC picture a ton, as Foles is decent but he's no Wentz. Sucks for Eagles fans, they were HUGE SB favorites heading into this week.

I think, despite the loss to Carolina today, this makes it more likely the Vikings are favorites in the NFC, or maybe an NFC South team (whoever wins the division, which is real tight between NO, ATL, and CAR, though personally I think NO and CAR are the better teams).
Only team that scares me in the NFL is Jacksonville.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2017, 08:53:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Same. Though I wouldn't want to play Baltimore in AFC Divisional Game either (that team just seems to give us trouble every time we play them in the playoffs lol...)

Vikings defense could be tricky in the Super Bowl but that's obviously looking way far ahead.

« Reply #178 on: December 10, 2017, 09:40:48 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Jacksonville beat the Seahawks, in which the Seahawks handily beat the Eagles.

I see Jacksonville as the New York Giants of 2011. Ugh, why are they in the AFC.

« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Jacksonville beat the Seahawks, in which the Seahawks handily beat the Eagles.

I see Jacksonville as the New York Giants of 2011. Ugh, why are they in the AFC.
Jacksonville beat Seattle in Jacksonville.

the Seahawks beat the Eagles in Seattle.

Important context I think.