Author Topic: Nocioni to Boston rumored by Marc Stein!  (Read 27047 times)

Nocioni to Boston rumored by Marc Stein!
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:55:59 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
From his Twitter :
@STEIN_LINE_HQ Where do we turn next for our NBA trade chatter now that Stephen Jackson has been moved. We're hearing of a potential new three-way deal 39 minutes ago

And this part :

@STEIN_LINE_HQ Word is this is an exploratory discussion at the minute, but the key elements would be Nocioni to BOS, Dalembert to SAC, Cap Relief to PHI 36 minutes

Re: Nocioni to Boston rumored by Marc Stein!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 05:59:16 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Hmmmm ... this has got the wheels turning upstairs ... very interesting. (TP)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 06:05:37 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
There is an article about it on TrueHoop :

There is some hope, according to NBA front-office sources, for a three-way deal that is currently in the exploratory-discussion phase.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Philadelphia 76ers and Sacramento Kings, in considering the feasibility of a Samuel Dalembert-for-Kenny Thomas swap, have discussed expanding that concept with Boston by trying to draw in the Celtics on a potential three-way deal that would land Andres Nocioni with the Celts.

Sources further stressed over the past 48 hours that this should be classified as an ongoing conversation as the teams involved decide how much they like what’s on the table.

But the full deal as it stands, if it eventually gets that far, would send Nocioni to Boston, Kenny Thomas, Tony Allen and Brian Scalabrine to Philadelphia and Dalembert and J.R. Giddens to Sacramento.

Taking the teams one by one:

*Boston has had interest in Nocioni from the minute Sacramento acquired him in February in the deal that dispatched Brad Miller and John Salmons to Chicago. That said, Boston has also been hesitant since February about acting upon that interest because Nocioni has three years and more than $20 years left on his contract after this season. That’s a lot of long-term cash for the Celts to take on -- even if Nocioni turned out to be a James Posey-style Mr. Versatile for them -- after they just signed Rajon Rondo to a lucrative extension and with decisions about the futures of Paul Pierce and Ray Allen looming. So Boston pulling out because of financial concerns likely ranks as the biggest impediment to this deal.

*Philadelphia’s determination to trade away Dalembert’s contract is a months-old story, which would appear to make Philly the most eager of the three teams to get this done. Thomas, Allen and Scalabrine are all on expiring contracts. Dalembert is making $12 million this season and is scheduled to earn nearly $13 million next season. The Sixers, frankly, don’t care who comes back in a Dalembert swap as long as their contracts drop off the payroll at season’s end.

*The Kings have interest in securing another big man to join Spencer Hawes and the fast-developing Jason Thompson in their frontcourt rotation and have pondered the merits of gambling on Dalembert for some time. And trading for Philly’s out-of-favor center certainly makes more sense than a deal for New Orleans’ Emeka Okafor, who has four years and nearly $40 million left on his contract through the 2013-14 season. It’s believed that Sacramento, even if these three-way talks go no further, will continue to field offers for Nocioni, given the Kings’ desire to have cap space in the summer of 2011 and the promising early development of rookie Omri Casspi.

More forthcoming as we get it.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 06:16:33 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I like the sound of this on the surface, just not sure what it will mean financially down-the-road ... I want to be able to insure the Big 3 retiring here, and this would make that, (and other things), difficult.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 06:17:30 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Hopefully there's some truth to this.  Adding more depth, shooting, and toughness would be a good thing.  Nocioni isn't perfect, and he's overpaid, but he could help this team.

Just using the principles involved, something like this would work:

Boston trades: Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine, J.R. Giddens
Boston receives: Andres Nocioni

Philadelphia trades: Sam Dalembert
Philadelphia receives: Kenny Thomas, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine

Sacramento trades: Andres Nocioni, Kenny Thomas
Sacramento receives: Sam Dalembert, J.R. Giddens

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 06:20:37 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Haha.  I didn't see the update from Stein as I fiddled around with the trade machine.  So pretty much, it's exactly like I proposed.  Sweet. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 06:22:53 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
I've not seen Nocioni play enough to know what he is really good at but I'm not fond on the idea of trading for him because of his huge contract.

Roy, you can probably give me some insight on this but if the C's acquire Nocioni, will they have the opportunity of re-signing Ray, Marquis, House and Williams this summer? How many money will they have left without using the MLE?

Basically, does acquiring Nocioni means goodbye to Ray next summer? If yes, I'm all against this deal.

Otherwise... it still adds lenghth and shooting to our 2nd unit and gives a real backup to Paul. I'm not sure about the "toughness" you talked about, though. And I don't feel like Nocioni is the type of player who would fit in the "we, not me" mentality.

So, mixed feelings about this possible trade, mostly because of the financial implications. But I think that Paul's injury (he could miss tomorrow's game) could make the deal happen because the Celtics may have realized that they won't get enough rest to Ray AND Paul during the season with Marquis as their only backup.

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 06:23:49 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Do it Danny!

Nocioni is a perfect fit here!

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 06:25:24 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I've not seen Nocioni play enough to know what he is really good at but I'm not fond on the idea of trading for him because of his huge contract.

Roy, you can probably give me some insight on this but if the C's acquire Nocioni, will they have the opportunity of re-signing Ray, Marquis, House and Williams this summer? How many money will they have left without using the MLE?

Basically, does acquiring Nocioni means goodbye to Ray next summer? If yes, I'm all against this deal.

Otherwise... it still adds lenghth and shooting to our 2nd unit and gives a real backup to Paul. I'm not sure about the "toughness" you talked about, though. And I don't feel like Nocioni is the type of player who would fit in the "we, not me" mentality.

So, mixed feelings about this possible trade, mostly because of the financial implications. But I think that Paul's injury (he could miss tomorrow's game) could make the deal happen because the Celtics may have realized that they won't get enough rest to Ray AND Paul during the season with Marquis as their only backup.

I agree, D ... not sure what limitations it would put on the team financially, but if it works, I really like it ... Nocioni would be a perfect fit for this team ... the more I think about it, the sweeter it sounds. ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 06:31:47 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

In a nutshell...  it depends.  Under the rules of the NBA, we'd be able to re-sign Ray without a problem.  The thing that might limit a move like this is our internal budget (which we don't know).

This year, we have approximately $85 million committed in salary.  Next season, if Pierce doesn't opt out, we have around $64 million (counting Rondo's new deal).  That means, if we want to keep the same budget, Danny could add $21 million in payroll.

Nocioni makes $6,850,000 next season.  Adding him means the team would have around $14.1 million, if the Celts want to spend as much next year as it is spending this year.  Obviously, they can have a reduced budget next year, or an increased one.

Let's say Ray takes $8 million.  That would leave us with $6.1 million to spend, and the following players under contract:

Perk
KG
Pierce
Ray
Rondo

Rasheed
BBD
Nocioni
Walker
Hudson

We'd have approximately $6 million or so (or roughly the amount of the MLE) to fill out the rest of the roster, with guys like Eddie House, Marquis Daniels, and Shelden Williams as free agents.

In other words, it would be tight, but doable.  If Wyc agreed to add another $5 million in salary, though, it would obviously be very feasible.  That's probably the debate the Celts are having currently.

(Keep in mind, adding $5 million in salary means adding $10 million in payroll, since we're over the luxury tax.  It's a lot of money.  One way to potentially get Wyc some relief would be if Pierce opted out and agreed to a salary for around $5 million less next year, in return for a longer deal.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:44:25 AM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 06:55:11 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
Thanks for all the details and explanations, Roy!

Basically, I think that if Danny does the deal it means that he has Wyc's approval to spend even more next season. Sure, a lot can happen between here and then but if we get Nocioni and then can re-sign Ray and our bench for lower prices (I think they will be willing to) then I would do the Nocioni trade in a heartbeat. It will be interesting to see how the discussions evolve!

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 07:01:25 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2419
House + Daniels + Nocioni + Sheed = excellent nine man rotation

I don't think the trade rumour has any legs to it though. Interest not intent. That's how I think Danny is approaching the situation. That contract is very poor,  it's hard to see Danny taking it on.

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 07:05:52 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
At first i didn't find this necessary but the more i think about it, and watch him play.... I think it could be good. Especially since PP has already knocked his knee up.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 07:11:37 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
(Keep in mind, adding $5 million in salary means adding $10 million in payroll, since we're over the luxury tax.  It's a lot of money.  One way to potentially get Wyc some relief would be if Pierce opted out and agreed to a salary for around $5 million less next year, in return for a longer deal.)

Roy, didn't Pierce say not long ago that he would be willing to opt out at less money in order to be able to retire in Boston? (I thought I read something to that effect recently). That would obviously make management more willing to consider this deal.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 07:13:46 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Roy, didn't Pierce say not long ago that he would be willing to opt out at less money in order to be able to retire in Boston? (I thought I read something to that effect recently). That would obviously make management more willing to consider this deal.

He indeed said that (although I can't remember if he linked it to retiring in Boston or not).  Of course, talk is cheap, and we're not sure what the preconditions of him opting out would be (i.e., how many years, and how much money, would he want in an extension.)