Author Topic: Consolidate the roster? (trade idea)  (Read 1790 times)

Consolidate the roster? (trade idea)
« on: June 29, 2020, 07:30:49 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
 The Celtics currently posses the 17th, 26th, 30th, & 46th picks in October’s NBA Draft. Out of the 17 roster spots available in a season, every Celtics player has the potential to return next year (with the exception of Brad Wanamaker).

16 players + 4 upcoming draft picks = 20 players. That means 3 players can’t make the roster.

Candidates to cut:

Vincent Poirier, Tacko Fall, Semi Ojeleye, Javonte Green?

Personally, I’d like to keep Javonte and Semi on the roster if possible. I expect Tacko to sign another two way deal and continue his development. I could honestly see Poirier getting traded or cut.

I love what Daniel Theis has done this year. He’s the best screen setter on the team, and our most productive big man on both ends of the court. His contract will be up after next season though. Will Danny Ainge be willing to offer Theis an extension (let’s say the number is 8M-$10M)? Or will he lean towards finding an upgrade OR a cheaper option?

For this post, my proposal is to find upgrade. Christian Wood would be a good fit with the Celtics, but the Celtics won’t have the cap space to sign him outright this offseason. It would take for Gordon Hayward or Kanter to opt out of their contracts (unlikely). 

Assuming Kanter opts in & Theis’ team option is picked up:

SIGN & TRADE PROPOSAL

Pistons receive: Enes Kanter, Daniel Theis, Vincent Poirier (waived), 30th pick.

Celtics receive:

Christian Wood ($13M-$14M per year)

Why for the Pistons?

The Pistons are compensated for facilitating Wood’s deal to the Celtics. If Wood seriously wants to win, as he recently tweeted, he should consider a contender like Boston. The Pistons could be at risk to lose him in free agency. A cap space team like the Knicks may be willing to pay Wood north of $14M a year. A substantial offer could force the Pistons hand.

Why for the Celtics?

Yeah they’d be trading their best rebounder in Kanter. As well as their best defensive big man/screen setter—Theis. But the upgrade from Theis to Wood; as well as consolidating the roster—makes the deal worth it in my opinion.

Updated Roster:

Walker, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Wood
Waters, Smart, Langford, G.Williams, R.Williams
Edwards, Green, Ojeleye, Tacko

That’s now 14 roster spots taken. 3 more available. 3 draft picks remaining. Signing picks 17 & 25 would give us a 16 man roster.

With the final roster spot, we could either sign the 46th pick; or one of the many veteran bigs available in free agency: Aron Baynes, DeMarcus Cousins, Ian Mahinmi, Bismack Biyombo?

Thoughts?

Re: Consolidate the roster? (trade idea)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 07:45:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Theis is more valuable to this team than Wood.  So I wouldn't do it.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:12:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wood was averaging 23/10/2/1 once Drummond was traded. I don’t think they’ll trade him for anything less than an All-Star, unless we gave them all 3 of our first rounders
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 08:13:31 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm a fan of Wood's game. Having said that, it's highly unlikely that we could make the trade work.

Whenever a team makes a sign-and-trade, it becomes hard-capped at the apron for the rest of the season. The team cannot exceed the tax apron at any point during the rest of the league year.

If projections hold, the tax apron for next season is gonna be $145,000,000. Mind you, this figure was released prior to the pandemic. Chances are the actual figure will end up considerably lower than that.

1. Kemba $34,379,100
2. Hayward $34,187,085
3. Brown $23,883,929
4. Smart $13,446,428
5. Wood $13,000,000
6. Tatum $9,897,120
7. Langford $3,631,200
8. Grizzlies pick (#17) $3,178,440
9. G. Williams $2,498,760
10. Celtics pick (#26) $2,182,440
11. R. Williams $2,029,920
12. Semi $1,752,950
13. Edwards $1,517,981
Yabu $1,039,080
Jackson $92,858

Total: $146,717,291 > apron, hence we wouldn't be allowed to complete the sign and trade

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 08:15:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
i dont really know squat about wood so i cant say much here. i did look up his stats and saw he has played a total of 113 nba games, and 62 of those came last year. that is not a lot. until this last year or so he wasnt doing much on the court and even in his last year he played 21 minutes a game.

he might be a great player. but based upon his stat history alone and meager time in the nba i would not be surprised if he doesnt turn out to be much.

theis we know is a very good two way center who fits with CBS game plans on offense and defense. it would be tough to give him up.

has anyone here seen wood play much? i would like to know more about him.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 09:11:16 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
i dont really know squat about wood so i cant say much here. i did look up his stats and saw he has played a total of 113 nba games, and 62 of those came last year. that is not a lot. until this last year or so he wasnt doing much on the court and even in his last year he played 21 minutes a game.

he might be a great player. but based upon his stat history alone and meager time in the nba i would not be surprised if he doesnt turn out to be much.

theis we know is a very good two way center who fits with CBS game plans on offense and defense. it would be tough to give him up.

I'm not gonna act as if I've seen him play a lot. I mean, the Pistons sucked this season. I've mostly seen him in youtube videos, plus I've read some scouting reports.

He's very athletic. He tries to dunk everything whenever he's close to the basket. He's a good screener. He's a beast in the pick n roll (1.5 PPP!). He's a threat in the pick n pop. He can shoot the 3.

He's an above average defender. He can do a little bit of everything on D. He protects the rim, he defends the perimeter, he defends the pick n roll/pop. Again, his pick n roll numbers are eye popping: allows 0.64 PPP!

Talent-wise, he'd be a considerable upgrade over Theis (at least imo).

Btw, we already know that Danny is a fan of Wood's game. In fact, the C's were after Wood at the trade deadline this season.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/events/1225450057542946817
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:34:39 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 10:37:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I'm not gonna act as if I've seen him play a lot. I mean, the Pistons sucked this season. I've mostly seen him in youtube videos, plus I've read some scouting reports.

He's very athletic. He tries to dunk everything whenever he's close to the basket. He's a good screener. He's a beast in the pick n roll (1.5 PPP!). He's a threat in the pick n pop. He can shoot the 3.

He's an above average defender. He can do a little bit of everything on D. He protects the rim, he defends the perimeter, he defends the pick n roll/pop. Again, his pick n roll numbers are eye popping: allows 0.64 PPP!

Btw, we already know that Danny is a fan of Wood's game. In fact, the C's were after Wood at the trade deadline this season.

I've followed Wood for a while now.

I've been the biggest fan of him. But I gotta be honest. His defense is awful. For someone who's boasts uber athleticism, he doesn't have the IQ or lateral quickness to keep up.

He has great handles and shooting touch for his size. I forgot who was on our team years ago, but he was of a similar skill set to Wood, and he didn't pan out either due to effort on defense.

That's the same issue I see with Wood. He's so talented, gifted, and has all the measurements you want in a prototypical modern 4.

But he lacks the intensity and will power to push himself on the defensive end. Either he really hates playing defense or his fundamentals are sorely lacking.

I think Wood can easily be like 18/7/2 kind of guy. The problem is his effort.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 10:43:20 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
That package wouldn't even get close to Wood. Wood is going to be in the Pistons long term future. They'll trade Blake this offseason (if they can find a taker) and insert Wood into the starting lineup.

Wood has a great statline for an awful team in an incredibly small sample size. I am not sold on him as an overall talent, especially in terms of translating those stats to wins. His price would be too high and the reward could be a bust.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 10:55:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I've followed Wood for a while now.

I've been the biggest fan of him. But I gotta be honest. His defense is awful. For someone who's boasts uber athleticism, he doesn't have the IQ or lateral quickness to keep up.

He has great handles and shooting touch for his size. I forgot who was on our team years ago, but he was of a similar skill set to Wood, and he didn't pan out either due to effort on defense.

That's the same issue I see with Wood. He's so talented, gifted, and has all the measurements you want in a prototypical modern 4.

But he lacks the intensity and will power to push himself on the defensive end. Either he really hates playing defense or his fundamentals are sorely lacking.

I think Wood can easily be like 18/7/2 kind of guy. The problem is his effort.
I see him in a very similar mould to John Collins. Both modern day Amare Stoudemire type players, except more range and less vertical spacing (due to the modern game more than anything). Great offence, wowing athleticism and bad defence. Can be covered by good defensive players though (like Marion)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)