Author Topic: BC upsets #1 UNC in Chapel Hill...then loses to Harvard!  (Read 10364 times)

Re: BC upsets #1 UNC in Chapel Hill
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 10:37:29 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
That was a great game and a huge upset. I loved how comcast decided to have tecknical difficulties with 1:30 left, and a 5 point game. When it finally came back on their was 4 seconds left. Thank god BC came out on top.
Not just Comcast but RCN too.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 11:12:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Skinner doesn't get the credit he should for having always to recruit from the basketball factories' rejects and turn them into a program. He has kept this a Top 25 caliber program for a decade and considering his budget and against the budgets he competes against in the ACC, he is phenomenal. If he was ever given the job at a place whose budget was that of one of the basketball factories(UNC, Texas, Kansas, UCLA, Michigan, Ohio State, etc.) he'd probably be putting up multiple national championships before long. He is that good.

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 11:33:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Skinner doesn't get the credit he should for having always to recruit from the basketball factories' rejects and turn them into a program. He has kept this a Top 25 caliber program for a decade and considering his budget and against the budgets he competes against in the ACC, he is phenomenal. If he was ever given the job at a place whose budget was that of one of the basketball factories(UNC, Texas, Kansas, UCLA, Michigan, Ohio State, etc.) he'd probably be putting up multiple national championships before long. He is that good.

Agreed about Skinner, Nick.  Year in and year out, this guy keeps BC hoops competitive.  He seems to find those hidden gems out there and, oftentimes, gets the most out of them. 

I remember early on in his tenure back when I was at BC, there were real question marks about this guy but what he has proven to have done in the last 8 or 9 years or so has been nothing less of remarkable. 

I don't know if this team will make the NCAAs this season but this is a HUGE win for the BC program.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 12:07:40 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Skinner is no doubt the master of finding the "diamond in the rough" recruit. If he wasn't, BC would be the doormat of the ACC every year. The one issue I have with him that I've never gotten the chance to discuss with anyone (I don't know very many BC fans, Boston's a pro sports town) is the issue of his offensive system. His version of the flex has a way of keeping his undersized, less athletic teams in games, giving them a chance to truly be able to win any given game, no matter the opponent. However, I'm not sure it's a system that would suit a program that is able to recruit some of the country's top high school players. It's just too constricting. Do you agree? Do you think that's what is preventing him from moving on to bigger and better places (assuming he wants to)? Do you like watching BC's offense? I think that it is often painful to watch, and that Rice scores approximately 0% of his baskets within the offense.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 10:38:50 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
the freshman Reggie Jackson (whose game reminds me of former Oregon star Aaron Brooks) was fearless, pitching in I believe 17 points.

He is a very good shooter like Brooks but what i really like about him is that he is 6'3 with a legit 6'11 wingspan and is a very good athlete. He is like Rondo with his length, very good on defense and can make alot of crazy layups on offense, he is a sg though. He came into BC as the #2 HS SG on the entire west coast, his upside is very high and itll be fun to follow him over the next few years.

Rakim Sanders is awesome but very inconsistent. If he can start to put it together on a consistent basic he really reminds me of Josh Howard. A strong SF who can shoot the ball and play very good defense, he had 7 steals and 2 or 3 blocks yesterday including that awesome block on the fastbreak.

Of course with BC nothing can get to good without bad so as Donoghus posted a link about last night, at some point today their football coach will be getting fired because he broke a clause in his contract and interviewed for another job.

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »

Offline BigRedDog423

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
As a BC student and fan for years, I love how Skinner recruits. He gets talented, hard working players who all play defense.

But having said that, the flex offense is painful to watch. Especially with this team, it is not a good fit. This team is made up of highly athletic shooters who can run the floor as well as anyone. They don't have very good bigs yet they are constantly forced into a slow moving half court offense. If this team were able to run, they would terrify every opponent. With Rice acting as the Steve Nash, this team could be the college version of Seven Seconds or Less.

Re: BC upsets #1 UNC in Chapel Hill...then loses to Harvard!
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 10:11:45 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
This is why sports is great.

Harvard had a 7-6 record in the Ivy League, and BC just beat the #1 team in the nation.  Harvard has a banged up team and walks into the Conte Forum and beats #17 BC by 12. The Crimson's first win over a ranked team EVER!
Yup

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 10:16:59 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Harvard had a huge recruiting class this off-season, amid allegations that not all as above board....so this isn't your typical Harvard team - even though they were only 7-6 coming in.

BC's young and prone to ups and downs...and they've played lousy against some weaker teams so far this year.  So last night wasn't a total shock -- though if they did it again tonight, BC would probably win by 30.

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 10:23:21 AM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
Harvard upsets UNC!!!!

I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.