Author Topic: 49ers suspend analyst. Political correctness run amok?  (Read 11684 times)

Re: 49ers suspend analyst. Political correctness run amok?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 10:36:41 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Announcer's comments were stupid and deserved reprimand but aren't the kind of thing to make a long-term flap about or follow him in his career. I would say a better example of political correctness run amok is the 49ers' former quarterback being blacklisted from the league for 3 years for speech, but this kind of angst about speech being punished tends to overlap pretty heavily with who's speaking and who they're speaking about for some reason.

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 10:54:37 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The observation makes sense and seemingly was said without prejudice but no, you can’t say it these days.  Just don’t bring up skin color if you want to keep your job.
It is pretty apparent and globally accepted that people have different skin pigments, but once you say it...watch out.
That is really lame when you think of it.

What will be next, folks won't be able to say that someone 5 feet tall is short, that toothless folks have an unappealing smile and that 400 lbs folks are obese?

Oversensitivity is not sensitivity.

Given the context of the conversation, it doesn't seem that the announcer meant anything maliciously so in my view, it's not as a big view as it's meant. Instead, it's more of a lesson to be aware of how you speak, especially in a public forum. There are many things that said in public is not a big deal but we wouldn't say in public. You can joke around about somebody having an unappealing smile or that a 400lbs being obese, but you wouldn't make that statement in a public setting since somebody might take offense to it. That's just reality.

For example, I work at a gym and there's a member that has been saying something things about other female members. Basically he's checking them out and saying inappropriate comments to others. I have to speak to him because that is just not appropriate given the setting. Can he see other members and think they are attractive? Of course he can. However, when he verbalizes and place others in an uncomfortable position, that is just unprofessional and inappropriate. It is being sensitive to other feelings and that is not being oversensitive but rather being a decent human being in a public setting.

Going to back to the original comment, the saga can be used as a learning tool. If you didn't think that equating somebody's complexion to darkness is inappropriate, well there are people saying it is and we can just take their word for it. Learn from it and avoid saying it in a public setting, especially when that setting involves thousands of listeners. It's not that hard to be mindful of others when speaking.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 10:57:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think the guy is naive, but the statement alone doesn't make him racist, obviously.

I am not surprised that he got suspended. 

I feel the grounds for firing the Thunder play by play announcer for using ""cotton pickin' mind" to be much more ridiculous, however.  That one still is a head scratcher for me.

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 11:26:32 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think the guy is naive, but the statement alone doesn't make him racist, obviously.

I feel the grounds for firing the Thunder play by play announcer for using ""cotton pickin' mind" to be much more ridiculous, however.  That one still is a head scratcher for me.

I agree that the 'cotton picking' incident does seem a lot more far-fetched than this current topic, but some context should be given. Davis (the announcer) was actually only suspended for one game and then returned to announce all of the playoff games. His contract was up after that season and apparently the Davis/Cage announcer team was pretty horrible (ranking 29th out of 30 on awfulannouncing.com prior to this). The timing does seem peculiar, but the Thunder might have been considering going in a different direction prior to the gaffe.

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 12:24:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
dumb thing to say pure and simple.  I didn't take it as the speaker being a racist, just pretty obtuse about how his words would be interpreted.

when I heard this, what flashed through my mind was the quote that got Jimmy the Greek canned from national broadcasts.   

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 02:24:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I agree that the 'cotton picking' incident does seem a lot more far-fetched than this current topic, but some context should be given. Davis (the announcer) was actually only suspended for one game and then returned to announce all of the playoff games. His contract was up after that season and apparently the Davis/Cage announcer team was pretty horrible (ranking 29th out of 30 on awfulannouncing.com prior to this). The timing does seem peculiar, but the Thunder might have been considering going in a different direction prior to the gaffe.

Thanks for clarifying this. I did not realize that. I thought he was canned because of the comment.

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 02:52:27 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Absolutely zero need to bring up skin color. None whatsoever. And in doing so, the analyst really messed up. The comment stinks of that old racial trope that it's hard to see black people in the dark. He messed up and he should consider himself lucky if he gets to keep his job.
i agree. and keep in mind that statements such as this need historical context. were there to be no history of hundreds of years of discrimination, slavery, lynchings, and more (and racism still does exist) then yes perhaps such a statement might not be so egregious.

but that point is that such a history does exist and such statements are to be viewed within such a context.

So it doesn't matter how I say something and what I actually mean but how anyone else understands it?

Not necessarily but, in today's society, people out there are going to take what you say and develop their own context around those words whether you like it or not.  Cancel culture in a nutshell.

Its certainly not fair but the reality is that you really need to think before you speak due to the possible ramifications.

Shockingly this is not a new concept. Republicans buy sneakers too.

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 03:09:59 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I think people get too sensitive on these topics, but how can someone in his role be so stupid.  I'm no sjw, but those words would never come out of my mouth.  And I highly doubt that there is any truth in what he said.  Players can't tell if he has the ball because of his skin color,  huh?  So dumb.  If it's such an advantage, why don't white players wear brown sleeves that match the color of the ball?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:48:08 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 06:14:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I’d say the guy deserved to get suspended and probably should’ve been fired. Not sure how someone can think otherwise. As much as I hate political correctness, I hate ignorance that much more.

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 06:25:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Dumb thing to say, for certain.

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 07:10:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’d say the guy deserved to get suspended and probably should’ve been fired. Not sure how someone can think otherwise. As much as I hate political correctness, I hate ignorance that much more.

For saying that a brown football is harder to see against a dark background (Jersey, hand)?  Is that really ignorant, or just insensitive?

I bet Belichick is looking into the claim right now. Next game the Pats will be wearing brown uniforms with Brady wearing brown sleeves and gloves.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 07:43:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

For saying that a brown football is harder to see against a dark background (Jersey, hand)?  Is that really ignorant, or just insensitive?

I bet Belichick is looking into the claim right now. Next game the Pats will be wearing brown uniforms with Brady wearing brown sleeves and gloves.

If you’re trying to intelligently articulate why someone in any endeavor is so effective and prolific at their respective craft, mentioning their skin color as a factor is NOT very tactful. It sounds callous and thoughtless. And someone who is a public figure acting as an alleged “radio analyst” should know better.

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 07:54:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is that really ignorant, or just insensitive?

Seems to me to be a bit of both. Ignorant of how such a statement could be perceived by others given the racial history of the country and insensitive to the fact that he is saying part of the reason Jackson is successful is skin color.

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 08:07:25 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Definitely not ignorant and probably a thoughtful analysis since it makes perfect sense, but if so many people are offended or acting as if they are offended it shouldn’t have been said.  You are joking about Belichick but you know that he has thought about the announcer’s theory.

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 08:28:59 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Definitely not ignorant and probably a thoughtful analysis since it makes perfect sense, but if so many people are offended or acting as if they are offended it shouldn’t have been said.  You are joking about Belichick but you know that he has thought about the announcer’s theory.
I wonder if there is a rule about making a glove that actually looks like a football not just the color.