Author Topic: Brutal Reality Check: This Team Won't Win Championship this Season  (Read 6709 times)

Re: Brutal Reality Check: This Team Won't Win Championship this Season
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 10:45:21 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
oh....my

what will I do

No championship .....ugh

say it an't so.  :D

I echo this. My expectation going into this season wasn't that they'd win the title. Rather I was hoping they could win the East and this a right to get beaten by GSW.

Like it or not, Ainge is focused on the long term. Not saying the organization was happy wasting a year, but I'm sure they realized the odds were stacked against them in 18-19.

Meanwhile, those Sixers that everyone thought was destined for a decade of greatness might lose two of their four superstars in the offseason, after using up pretty much their entire stock of draft capital to obtain them. After the Finals are done, you'll understand why Ainge elected to hold onto his war chest.

So what else is new? If Ainge were driving a car, he'd crash right into a tractor trailer while aimlessly gazing at the sidewalk. He needs to start worrying alot more about the present and less on the future otherwise, both are going to go up in smoke in front of his face.

Also, the expectations of this team were extremely high before the season.

Many people had us pegged going to the finals. Now, we might not even make it past the 1st round.

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 10:49:29 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Now that Baynes is going to (again) miss significant time - I'll be happy with making it through Round 1 of the playoffs.  And I'm not optimistic about that happening.  Baynes is going to miss significant time - and without him any team with some size and rebounding creates big problems with 2nd chance points. 

But beyond that, the team is flawed.  They're a jump shooting team without enough players who can score driving to the basket.

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 10:53:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The free throw disparity isn't on the refs. The Celts are a really, really bad team at generating free throws. It is an enormous flaw of this team.
this is a critical flaw IMO.  C's have had a number of cold shooting nights this year and do not have any offensive philosophy other than continuing to chuck jumpers instead of working the post or driving to the hoop.  either would (should) generate FT attempts that would put points on the board during scoring droughts.

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 11:04:15 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I actually got this reality check 20 games into the season  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 11:09:30 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The free throw disparity isn't on the refs. The Celts are a really, really bad team at generating free throws. It is an enormous flaw of this team.
this is a critical flaw IMO.  C's have had a number of cold shooting nights this year and do not have any offensive philosophy other than continuing to chuck jumpers instead of working the post or driving to the hoop.  either would (should) generate FT attempts that would put points on the board during scoring droughts.

We just don't have guys that want to take the ball to the rim.  Brown does it, but he never gets the ball.  Smart is good at it too, but he is more often distributing.  Smart is especially good at the post ups and that should be a bigger part of our offense. 

Most of the other guys are good when they decide that they want to attack the rim.  Al, Tatum and even Morris are good attacking the rim, but they RARELY do it.  This should be a huge point of interest from the coaching staff.  Maybe it is?  Sure doesn't show up in games though.

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2019, 11:12:04 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
This Celts team may not win the championship this season, but if the Celts win the AD sweepstakes, next season will be a championship season for the Celtics.

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2019, 11:26:12 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

We just don't have guys that want to take the ball to the rim.  Brown does it, but he never gets the ball.  Smart is good at it too, but he is more often distributing.  Smart is especially good at the post ups and that should be a bigger part of our offense. 

Most of the other guys are good when they decide that they want to attack the rim.  Al, Tatum and even Morris are good attacking the rim, but they RARELY do it.  This should be a huge point of interest from the coaching staff.  Maybe it is?  Sure doesn't show up in games though.

I wouldn't call Morris good at attacking the rim.  Occasionally he can get there, but too often he settles - and when he's not hitting (which has pretty much been the case since early January) he becomes next to useless because the ball never moves after it winds up in his hands.

As far as the other guys you've mentioned, I do think it's fair to question the coaching this season.  The issue hasn't gone away and it seems like the 'solution' that they're advocating is to keep chucking.  Stevens and his staff have certainly done nothing to address the problem.  Or maybe they've tried and the players haven't responded.

As a result the only conclusion is that this edition of the Celtics is flawed - probably fatally flawed.

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 11:32:13 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I wouldn't call Morris good at attacking the rim.  Occasionally he can get there, but too often he settles - and when he's not hitting (which has pretty much been the case since early January) he becomes next to useless because the ball never moves after it winds up in his hands.

As far as the other guys you've mentioned, I do think it's fair to question the coaching this season.  The issue hasn't gone away and it seems like the 'solution' that they're advocating is to keep chucking.  Stevens and his staff have certainly done nothing to address the problem.  Or maybe they've tried and the players haven't responded.

As a result the only conclusion is that this edition of the Celtics is flawed - probably fatally flawed.

I keep saying that but others here argue it's because of coaching.

I totally agree that Morris is only average, at best, at attacking the rim.
His whole career Morris has never been known as someone who's a strong finisher at the rim.

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2019, 11:32:30 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
This team beats Golden State Warriors in a 7-game series (literally built to beat them), but they ain't beating the Raptors, tough Bucks, or the physical Pistons in the East.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2019, 11:35:30 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
This team beats Golden State Warriors in a 7-game series (literally built to beat them), but they ain't beating the Raptors, tough Bucks, or the physical Pistons in the East.

True.

That's that's why this team needs a reboot.

Get rid of some of the wing players and draft picks and convert them into Anthony Davis.

Imagine a Celtic team with Kyrie, AD, Horford, and Hayward.
Doesn't matter who are the supporting cast as long as the Celts have all those 4 players I mentioned for next season.

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2019, 12:08:45 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Physical Pistons team? Seriously? I think some people need to take a step back from the cliff and start thinking rationally.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2019, 12:11:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Physical Pistons team? Seriously? I think some people need to take a step back from the cliff and start thinking rationally.
I do think being fearful of Detroit is a bit pessimistic, but Casey has had them playing well over their last 10
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 12:16:27 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I do think being fearful of Detroit is a bit pessimistic, but Casey has had them playing well over their last 10
True, but I think it's just them taking advantage of a weak schedule they've had recently (Except Toronto, the Pistons have their number for some reason lol).
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2019, 12:51:14 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
This team might not make it out of the first round.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2019, 02:02:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This team might not make it out of the first round.

Considering that baynes will probably miss the first round I think it's quite likely.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain