Author Topic: Stop worrying about KG, the team's all right  (Read 4663 times)

Re: Stop worrying about KG, the team's all right
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 03:22:13 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
give thanks that we have a 7 game 1st round and that they really drag the playoffs out.   hopefully we don't go 7.   

we do have time on our side, with the best case scenario is KG gets a bit of his game legs in the first round. 
Amen.

I expect a more prominent sense of urgency to end series quickly this year.  Let's hope that works out.  Rounds 1 and 2, if held to 10 to 12 games instead of 14 would be very helpful come the ECF should we be there (as I say we will).

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 03:32:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I believe the team is fine for the playoffs.

There's no real drop off, in quality of play, if Garnett comes in, ~18 mins per playoff game. The big man body count is MM, Powe, BBD, and Perks. I don't see many teams with a similar level of depth at the 4/5 spots.

My only hope is that Starbury explodes for a major game or two, 20ppg - off the bench, and then our bench is virtually unstoppable with House/Starbury, as the best *backup* back court in the league today. Add two stars, Rondo/Ray Ray and then perhaps it's the best backcourt combo since the days of Monroe/Frazier.

Sure, we're a little weak at the 3, meaning Pierce's sub, but everyone else is weaker, all around, including the illustrious Cavs.

we are a little better than a .500 team since he has been out.....we should worry.

I think we're like 13-6 without KG this year. Only 3 other teams (Cavs, Lakers and Magic) have a higher winning percentage than that.

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I think we're like 13-6 without KG this year

Also, those losses were earlier on, when the team was learning how to deal w/ KG's absence and in rotating the other bigs. In essence, it was BBD and Perks coming of age when they were asked to step up and in the end, they delivered. PP and Ray Ray, however, were delivering the goods continuously for the whole time period.

What that does is give us a tremendous edge, in the playoffs, even if KG comes in with reduced minutes. Our boys are men!

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Why do we keep getting conflicting reports on the actual injury.  First it was called a sprain, then it was said to be a bone spur pressing on a ligament, now in today's Herald it is called a strain.  Whats going on here???  I'm hoping its not the bone spur.

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 03:06:11 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Well, the *sprain* story is a general catch-all for anything other than a hairline fracture which in that case, would be a flat out lie.

So the bone spur, may be the ultimate cause/effect but the sprain makes for general coverage w/o needing to dig in any further (no pun intended).

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 03:08:02 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Why do we keep getting conflicting reports on the actual injury.  First it was called a sprain, then it was said to be a bone spur pressing on a ligament, now in today's Herald it is called a strain.  Whats going on here???  I'm hoping its not the bone spur.

bone spur is almost better long term, they tend to be dealt with easily in all but the worst case scenario's. Strains tend to linger/ turn into tears.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 03:36:20 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'm excited about the team finally getting together - getting the emotional, defensive anchor of the team back. If he can give us 20 mpg, we have a shot at this. ...I'm still worried about his health.

A sweep of the first round would be fantastic.

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 03:57:30 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I don't think the team is all right without KG. He's too important for that. But I'm not worrying him either. I just have a ce que sera attitude right now.
As long as he's fine in the long run, the rest of the team stays healthy, the young ones continue to impress and the team comes back strong in the fall, I'll be happy no matter how this season ends.
That said I'd be ecstatic to see the whole team healthy for the playoffs of course
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 04:09:17 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
I think we're like 13-6 without KG this year

Also, those losses were earlier on, when the team was learning how to deal w/ KG's absence and in rotating the other bigs. In essence, it was BBD and Perks coming of age when they were asked to step up and in the end, they delivered. PP and Ray Ray, however, were delivering the goods continuously for the whole time period.

What that does is give us a tremendous edge, in the playoffs, even if KG comes in with reduced minutes. Our boys are men!

Without actually looking at the schedule, I'm pretty sure most of the losses started to come when Rondo got hurt and we had like 4-5 guys injured at a time.

When KG first got hurt, we were fine. We kept winning until more injuries started to come (Rondo, Scalabrine, and Powe). It just pushed us over the edge.

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 04:27:23 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
If KG can't play in the playoffs, I want him on the bench, getting in people's ears, making Big Baby cry, etc. I'm pretty sure that if KG had been on the bench for the first half of that Orlando home game, among others, we wouldn't have played so terribly. He wouldn't have allowed it and the others would have been too afraid.

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 05:20:50 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Are you kidding me? Some regular season wins late in the season do nothing to negate KG's ultimate importance for playoff success, everyone's gunning at the defending champs. Don't sleep on the guy just because we're used to him, and don't give BBD more credit than he deserves, he can fall apart in a heartbeat. If KG for whatever reason couldn't play I'd down my celebration champagne the second word got out because I'd have to drown my sorrows.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~