Author Topic: What about Grant Hill?  (Read 3096 times)

What about Grant Hill?
« on: April 05, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13
Grant Hill was recently interviewed by ESPN and he said that he still wants to play, but doesn't know what's going to happen in Phoenix next year.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090404-05

He's been one of my all time favorite players in the league. Sounds like a great guy and really still has a passion for the game.  He can still play at his age too.  What do you think about bringing him here next year to back up Pierce and Allen? I'm sure he would be fine taking a bench role if it gives him a chance to chase a ring.

Re: What about Grant Hill?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 04:23:13 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
He'd be the ideal guy off the bench for us. He would probably take the minimum salary, and he's a consummate team player. Grant Hill was on my free agent wish list last summer. I'd love to see this guy close out his career in green and with a winner. He deserves it.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 05:02:29 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
He would be a perfect fit for this team, he is a true professional but he stated he would like to re-sign with Phoenix if I'm not mistaken.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:06:48 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
I'm not sure he would come here.  He still has the ability to start for several playoff teams in the league.  He'd be an upgrade for the Jazz (CJ Miles), Lakers (Luke Walton/Trevor Ariza), Hornets (Julian Wright), and Blazers (unless Fernandez starts) at the starting SF position, and these teams are just off the top of my head.

I'd love it if he came here, but I just think he could get a bigger role - and probably more money - elsewhere.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 05:22:09 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I'm not sure he would come here.  He still has the ability to start for several playoff teams in the league.  He'd be an upgrade for the Jazz (CJ Miles), Lakers (Luke Walton/Trevor Ariza), Hornets (Julian Wright), and Blazers (unless Fernandez starts) at the starting SF position, and these teams are just off the top of my head.

I'd love it if he came here, but I just think he could get a bigger role - and probably more money - elsewhere.

I don't think it bothers him to be a bench guy because he's had this role many times with the Suns and he showed he could fill in this role perfectly. Plus he isn't asking for much money and he would have a chance to get a ring before he retires so I think Boston would be one of one his first choices. With the Suns out of the playoffs this year I'm not sure he will really want to play for the team next season but on the other side he seems to have real fun there and he is loyal, so it's hard to tell...

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 05:29:22 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680

I don't think it bothers him to be a bench guy because he's had this role many times with the Suns and he showed he could fill in this role perfectly. Plus he isn't asking for much money and he would have a chance to get a ring before he retires so I think Boston would be one of one his first choices. With the Suns out of the playoffs this year I'm not sure he will really want to play for the team next season but on the other side he seems to have real fun there and he is loyal, so it's hard to tell...

I hope so.  We'll see... like I said, I'd love to have him in green.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 05:52:41 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Biggest X-factor in getting Hill is Phoenix's training staff.  After all those injuries and playing (probably) all 82 games this year, he's going to be very wary of putting his health in someone else's hands again.  Plus Hill strikes me as putting being in a good environment with his family over uprooting for a chance at a ring.  I think he stays put if the Suns want him - question is whether they'll want him after they likely blow up the team this offseason.

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 06:32:14 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I like Grant Hill but would prefer Danny trading Powe or Davis (sign and trade) for a younger player to help keep the minutes down on the big three. As I mentioned in another thread, I would love to go after Travis Outlaw.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
While I certainly wouldn't complain about Hill, getting someone with a little more of a reputation as a defensive stopper would be ideal to me.  While I wouldn't call Hill a slouch on defense, I'm not sure he has the quickness he used to keep up with quicker 2/3s. 

Then again, we don't live in an ideal world, so I'd be plenty happy if Hill was playing 20-25 mpg next year backing up Allen and Pierce. 

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 08:45:02 PM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
While I certainly wouldn't complain about Hill, getting someone with a little more of a reputation as a defensive stopper would be ideal to me.  While I wouldn't call Hill a slouch on defense, I'm not sure he has the quickness he used to keep up with quicker 2/3s. 

Then again, we don't live in an ideal world, so I'd be plenty happy if Hill was playing 20-25 mpg next year backing up Allen and Pierce. 

While you're probably right about the defensive end, I think Hill would add a lot to our second unit on the offensive end.  If for instance, we don't sign Marbury next year and allow Gabe Pruitt to develop into the back up, we will still have some offensive deficiencies on the second unit.  I think Hill, with his basketball IQ and ability to play "point forward" will take the pressure off of House and Pruitt.   

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I like Grant Hill but would prefer Danny trading Powe or Davis (sign and trade) for a younger player to help keep the minutes down on the big three. As I mentioned in another thread, I would love to go after Travis Outlaw.
I agree,even though i like both Powe and BBD,the Outlaw idea works for me.tp

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 10:16:42 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

While you're probably right about the defensive end, I think Hill would add a lot to our second unit on the offensive end.  If for instance, we don't sign Marbury next year and allow Gabe Pruitt to develop into the back up, we will still have some offensive deficiencies on the second unit.  I think Hill, with his basketball IQ and ability to play "point forward" will take the pressure off of House and Pruitt.   

If we land Hill, I think it's a bad idea to play Pruitt and House together in the backcourt.  That not only makes Hill a liability at the 3, it makes House a defensive liability at the 2.  I'd much rather see House play the "1" with Hill handling the ball.  That would allow us to play Tony Allen or Bill Walker at the 2 spot, which would certainly upgrade us defensively, and in my opinion, both present an upgrade over Pruitt on the offensive end as well. 

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 10:28:58 PM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser

If we land Hill, I think it's a bad idea to play Pruitt and House together in the backcourt.  That not only makes Hill a liability at the 3, it makes House a defensive liability at the 2.  I'd much rather see House play the "1" with Hill handling the ball.  That would allow us to play Tony Allen or Bill Walker at the 2 spot, which would certainly upgrade us defensively, and in my opinion, both present an upgrade over Pruitt on the offensive end as well. 

That would be fine with me.  Either Walker, Giddens or T.A. could be the designated defensive wing stopper on the second unit.  I just think Hill could add a lot of versatility to this team.

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 10:38:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Hill would be a nice fit.  His playmaking ability allows House to be the PG while Hill runs the offense when the bench is in.  That way, Pierce/Ray/KG can still be the guys being set up instead of having to be the creaters/scorers at the same time.

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 10:44:29 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Providing we could sign him, I think we would see Grant Hill in a 'Posey like' role. By this I mean as the first guy off the bench and likely playing PF/SF for 15-20mpg. Of course he doesnt have the defensive abilities Posey has, but he can still hit an open jumper and play very smart team defense.

My biggest problem with Grant Hill is his age and injury history. I think we should be getting younger and more athletic with our wing depth, he just doesnt fit that bill anymore.

Did I mention he can still handle and pass the ball quite well?
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku