Author Topic: Epiphany...for better or worse...  (Read 2532 times)

Epiphany...for better or worse...
« on: May 14, 2008, 03:04:25 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I had an epiphany today and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it sooner. If I were coaching tonight's game, I would give serious thought to the following lineup for my starters or I would at least definately us this lineup within the game and give it a good long look.

Perkins > on Zadrunas ( Perk struggled but he'll be fine)
Garnett > on Wallace or Varejo
Pierce > Szerbiak
Posey > on James
Rondo > on DWest

Why I like this:

1. I love the defnse and rebounding that squad is capable of

2. Pierce has been really struggling on offense because he is expending so much energy guarding LeBron.

3. Posey Plays LeBron just as well or better than Pierce.

4. Posey is shooting from distance just as well or better than Ray right now

5. Pierce can guard Szerbiak blindfolded and he should be able to completely abuse him in the block and elswhere offensively.

6. LeBron will still have to guard Pierce. So he'll have to deal with Posey on one end and then go guard Pierce on the other.

7. Ray Allen will provide a great offensive lift off the bench

8. Posey brings a real toughness to the start of the game

Couple questions:

1. Some say Posey plays best off the bench. If this is the case, then I'd just move to this lineup as early as possible and give it a good long hard look.

2. Could Ray handle coming off the bench? Manu could in San Antonio, so why shouldn't Ray be able to if it beneifts the team? That's what unbuntu is all about right?

I really like that lineup. Pierce and Garnett carry the offensive load and Posey can definately spread the floor just like Ray.

The defense would be off the hook.

LeBron would be working overtime on both ends.

Does anyone even remember Doc trying this lineup ever?

My ideal off the bench in this situation would be:

PJ
Powe
Pierce or Posey
Ray / TAllen
House / Cassell

I'd really like to see a combo of EHouse and TAllen back again. I like that energy they bring.

Thoughts on this idea or what you would do tonight if different...

Re: Epiphany...for better or worse...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 03:17:02 PM »

Offline BuckeyeCelt

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
I made this same argument today at work...

I agree, especially with making LeBron work on both ends...

That being said...it won't happen.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 03:25:30 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Who guards Lebron when Posey and Pierce need a break? 

I am of the feeling that Posey would wear out if he had to cover Lebron for an entire game.  He is great against him in short bursts....an entire game could be a different story.

Lebron is already working hard on both ends (Pierce is playing very good D).

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 03:43:47 PM »

Offline IowaGuy

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
That is the exact line up i've been waiting for to start the game.  I know LBJ will still guard PP but I think with that line up they should throw Posey on the block against Wally.  Not his strong suit but I have confidense Posey could really work him down there.  After a few quick scores I think they would start to double him down in the box which would open up everybody else.  I'd bring in Ray Ray at about the 4-5minute mark of the 1st for Posey. Let PP switch over to LBJ and tell Ray Ray to just let it fly.  Wally will be gassed by then if Posey has done his job of abusing him in the block which will give Ray Ray that step back that he has been missing.  When PP needs a blow bring Posey back in to guard James.  I'd like to see us use TA to completely take Gibson out of his flow (cassell can't even stay CLOSE to him).  I'd also use E. House as the primary back up point, but only give him about 8-10mins.  the last 2 of the 1st quarter, the first 3mins of the 2nd.  Same in the 3rd quarter and 4th if he is doing well.  Rondo should be able to play an easy 40 mins a night.  I also like E. House's defense worlds more than Sam I am's.  Eddie plays a high energy defense which get's everybody going and he has extremely active hands in the passing lanes.  We need energy and he's our energy guy.....USE HIM.  I would also try to only use one big off the bench, that being Leon and only use PJ if Perk gets in foul trouble (or KG god forbid). 

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 04:13:04 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

I am of the feeling that Posey would wear out if he had to cover Lebron for an entire game.  He is great against him in short bursts....an entire game could be a different story.

Tony Allen doubled by perk and BBD
during quarters 2 to 3
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 04:20:29 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129

Tony Allen doubled by perk and BBD
during quarters 2 to 3

This would leave Z/Joe Smith open to hit their mid range jumpers that they like to hit. 

Posey would be immediately doubled by DWest leaving Rondo open for a jumper.

Celtics win this game if Rondo can hit his shots