Author Topic: Five Points - can I get an assist?  (Read 1801 times)

Five Points - can I get an assist?
« on: May 13, 2008, 11:59:53 PM »

Offline DrD

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
I have a couple of points to make here if you'll allow me to.

1) I'd like your (fellow Celtic fans) input on some things. Since I have, and still do play ball, (though obviously nothing at all like the level of these two teams) I can take a bit of personal experience to put behind my words.

Let me preface this by saying, I love Kevin Garnett. I am thrilled with what he has brought to this team. I have watched 99% of all Celtics games for years - including last year - so please don't question my loyalty.

However, on the statement dunk last night when LeBron posterized KG, here is what I saw. Someone tell me I am wrong.
Pierce got picked off of the play; then Posey, who was the second man to defend, went inside as Lebron faked and drove outside and past him. That left KG one on one with LeBron. What I saw from there I didn't like. I saw KG look at LeBron, then immediately get out of the way, allowing LeBron to make his crowd raising slam. Why didn't the Defensive Player of the Year challenge him? You know how anytime a shot is put up towards the basket after a whistle is blown that KG jumps and intercepts the ball not allowing it to go in? Kinda of like a mini-statement.

Why do you not get in James' face, give him a hard foul and say, "not on my watch". Kinda like a major-statement of this is who we are!

Is it because LeBron is too big and strong and Garnett didn't want to get hurt. Or maybe I'm thinking he could have challenged when in reality he was not in good position to. Since when I play, I play the guard position, perhaps my expectations are too high for the big man. I don't know. But I can tell you I found myself uttering more than a few words at the television and somewhere in there could be heard the term chicken-hearted, etc. Though trust that it was more emotional than that.

2) I realize the game was close throughout until the last 3-4 minutes, but will some one of the three-petes please, please take control. It probably has to be PP because Ray is being shut down by whats-his-name (any one will do), and whenever KG gets the ball down low he gets paralyzed and can't go to the hoop. So by default it must be Paul. If that's the case, they better take some of the pressure off of him on the defensive end and let him use his energy on the offensive side. Please.

3) Right now, this team is in a mental whirlwind of bad karma. It will be very difficult for them to come out of this series alive, home court or not. They can't see the forest for the trees right now and there is nobody there to lead them out. What happened to Ubuntu? With only one day between games it will be difficult, if not impossible to climb out of the mental rut they are in. And with Doc juggling the players around as he has done since the playoffs began, it only leads to more discontinuity.

4) The glass half full people will say that we're 2-2 with home court advantage. The glass half empty people blame Doc, Danny or anyone wearing green and say that we're done.

The realist that I believe I am, says it will be difficult. They will only come through this series by drawing on the intestinal fortitude and will that they had demonstrated throughout the season, against tougher teams than Cleveland. But, with the confusion coming from the coaching staff (which players get minutes?) and the confusion coming from the players (as I said they are in a bad mental state right now) we fans should not be surprised if they don't pull it out.

5) One more thing: Don't anyone tell us that this team hasn't been playing together long enough to establish a good rhythm, etc. They've been together all season AND the Cavs team that they are playing has barely been together half as long.

Like you, I am just not ready for this season to come to a disappointing close. It has been such an oasis in the desert of the past twenty years.

So Paul, brush your ass off, get back on the court and lead this team. Show us what you got!

Re: Five Points - can I get an assist?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 12:22:56 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Totally agree, esp. about Paul and the help he might need. 

I'll root for these guys and root hard, but I can't say I'm not disappointed.  Can't say I'm not nervous either.

Re: Five Points - can I get an assist?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:02:36 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Really great post, DrD ... you just saved me a bunch of typing, as you've nailed most of my views of this team on the head. Really great work, and I agree wholeheartedly! (TP)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *