Author Topic: Who would you rather have? Wally/ Delonte or Ray Allen  (Read 13039 times)

Re: Who would you rather have? Wally/ Delonte or Ray Allen
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 01:16:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I was very surprised the Sonics were able to get a top 5 pick for Ray Allen at his age and with his contract. C's have passed on a lot of talent to take a small window shot with this group. We passed on the CP3/Pierce draft day trade a few yr ago, pased on Brandon Roy and traded the pick, traded this past yr's lottery pick, and traded Al Jefferson. personally, i would have gone the other way and made the Pierce trade. I think a CP3/jefferson/Roy trio would have set us up better, and imo would have been more exciting.

Ray Allen was probably worth a top 5 pick when he was on the Bucks. That Ray Allen would have been great to have. And honestly I'd of loved to of had a younger KG too. he's about to lose something really quick too.
You can't be serious - "probably worth a top 5 pick when he was on the Bucks"?

He would have been worth way more than a single lottery pick. The guy is an 8 time all star and you are talking about his prime.

I think I have to discount your whole post based on that alone. Your credibility is shot.

It also isn't very insightful to say, "looking back, I would have made all of these moves...", especially without mentioning all the silly moves you also would have made at the time. Are you going to pretend you wanted Jefferson when he was drafted? Even if you truly wanted the PP trade and to keep Roy, how would you have known that Jefferson was the way to go?

The silliest posts are the 'should have done X' posts where people pretend they knew all along all the moves that should have been done.

I agree, this post is silly, as well as inaccurate.  First off the C's did not "pass on CP3".  By all accounts Ainge was rabid for him, but either Portland backed off, or Pierce let it be known he didn't want to go to Portland.  Also, who thought Brandon Roy was going to be the stud that he is.  He slipped to the 7th pick in the draft.  It was only his strong showing in the tourney that got him up that high.  He also had injury concerns, and had the reputation of being good at a lot of things, but not being great at anything.

Finally I agree with Guava Wrench.  Playing the "what if" game is pointless.  What if the C's had taken T-Mac with one of their 2 top picks in the Duncan Draft.  What if they had not exercised their Phoenix pick the year before and drafted Amare in the 02 draft.  What if they had held onto Joe Johnson.  There are always what-ifs.  And if you play that game enough, you can put together an Olympic All-Star team, but it's not reality.

C's did pass on the trade.  Ainge really wanted Outlaw, Portland wouldn't budge.  Might have still gone forward if Pierce wasn't making claims he wasn't going to report (I'm sure he eventually would have, but it probably would have cost the C's more like when Payton didn't show up for his physical the Lakers had to rework that deal).  Of course had we had CP3, the C's likely wouldn't have been drafting in the 7 spot in the following draft.  Maybe they get the first pick, maybe they get the 10th pick, who the hell knows. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip