Author Topic: Who would you rather have? Wally/ Delonte or Ray Allen  (Read 13037 times)

Re: Who would you rather have? Wally/ Delonte or Ray Allen
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 02:09:53 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
ray allen. no question.

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 02:21:23 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Wally and Delonte, while decent role players, are limited.  This should become evident during the remainder of this series.

Personally I think Ray is starting to slip a little -- but that was the risk when they brought him in -- and as Reggie Miller proved -- you can stick around a long time if you can shoot 3's.  Of course whether he'll be good enough to justify his contract next year and beyond, I tend to doubt it.

He's struggling right now though, that's for sure.

As far as trading him, he would be tough to deal due to his contract.  I don't think he's going anywhere.

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Wally and Delonte, while decent role players, are limited.  This should become evident during the remainder of this series.

Personally I think Ray is starting to slip a little -- but that was the risk when they brought him in -- and as Reggie Miller proved -- you can stick around a long time if you can shoot 3's.  Of course whether he'll be good enough to justify his contract next year and beyond, I tend to doubt it.

He's struggling right now though, that's for sure.

As far as trading him, he would be tough to deal due to his contract.  I don't think he's going anywhere.

still dont get this snap judgment, shooting beter than his career average and scoring 17 per on 10 shots as the third option offensivly. but, since roy has dragged out the numbers countless times and people still don;t seem to care, we'll have to agree to disagree on his year.

His postseason has been bad no question, but i think thats due to bad play design as well. He had plays run for him last night and he converted.

Doc always says "i think we get away from what we do, and we struggle" well doc, sometimes, teams adjust to you after a few games, and you have to change what you do. just a thought. liek mabey, one time, you could run a screen to rondo's side when delonte leaves him, while rondo runs back at west to cross him over.

i haven't seen one backside screen for pierce or allen yet, and the cavs literally don't have anyone over there with rondo. it would work 9/10 times until the cavs shaded back to that side to cut off pierce or allen running through and catching the pass from rajon.

but, apperntly 4 games isn't enough time for doc to figure out his guys are playing 4 on 5 because delonte is abandoning rajon.

There's ways to punish a team for doing that, but i guess we can't be bothered. Instead we'll let them have an extra defender to clog up that side, and let them double team KG and load up on paul while our PG sits in the corner not taking "hero shots" ::)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 02:45:17 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If you are going to play this game, play it to the end.

1) no Ray Allen

then

2) KG does not want to come to Boston.  No KG

therefore

3) Pierce demands a trade.  No Pierce.

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 02:50:44 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I think a lot of the people asking questions like this are new fans, no offense to you if I am wrong, but I don't understand how anyone that watched last season, would rather have that team back. Any one that thinks Wally is half the player that Ray Allen is, simply doesn't know basketball.

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 06:10:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
At the end of the season, win or lose, Ainge should seriously think about trading Ray Allen for some draft picks.  He has alot of money owed to him and we can use that to sign one of the many fantastic available free agents

Unless the team we're trading Ray to is $17 million under the cap, we'd have to take back roughly equal salary in trade; you couldn't really trade him straight up for picks. 

Think about Antwan Jamison over Ray Allen.  What about Joe Smith?  If you thought the defense was good this year, imagine how good it would be with a young Smith in the line-up.  If one thing Atlanta showed us was that we need some athletic young players on this team.

What are some other free agents we could use next year in place of Allen?

Even if we were able to shed Ray's salary (which we can't), we'd still have around $57.5 million in salary committed for next season.  That puts us at or over the salary cap.  We'd have to shed another $15 million or so before we could make a run at Jamison or Josh Smith (I'm assuming you meant Josh.)
[/quote]

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 06:12:12 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
if we didnt acquire ray, then we would never have landed kg!

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 06:39:02 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9

But if you think in Hypothetical terms with hindsight being 20/20. I wonder if KG is thinking, I wish I came over and the C's kept Wally Delonte and the pick. Sure Ray Allen is the best player of that lot but he is getting older by the day and his contract is a killer. The C's window looks shorter and shorter.

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 07:38:19 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Ray Allen, definitely. Ray is a better shooter than Wally and a slightly better defender and Wally has more injury concerns then Allen does. Delonte would be a better back up than Cassell.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 07:45:35 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

But if you think in Hypothetical terms with hindsight being 20/20. I wonder if KG is thinking, I wish I came over and the C's kept Wally Delonte and the pick. Sure Ray Allen is the best player of that lot but he is getting older by the day and his contract is a killer. The C's window looks shorter and shorter.

hypotheticals arent real.  my previous statement is factual.  kg himself stated that he agreed to come here after the celts landed ray allen to go alongside pierce. 

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 07:50:31 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Who would you rather have? Wally/ Delonte or Ray Allen 

Chauncey and Joe Johnson  ;D

but stop complaining and crying over the spilled milk,
and start rooting for the Cs
Wenesday is an important day for us Cs
lets root for our team.

Please  :P
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »

Offline chrismcc13

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I think a lot of the people asking questions like this are new fans, no offense to you if I am wrong, but I don't understand how anyone that watched last season, would rather have that team back. Any one that thinks Wally is half the player that Ray Allen is, simply doesn't know basketball.

Tommy point for you.  That's what I've been tryin to convey on another thread, anyone who actually PLAYS lots of team basketball and understands/watches it knows that Ray Allen is a very important player, much more so than wally world.  I am very glad wally is gone.  While he was a decent teamate, he isn't half the player Ray is, as you said.  It's hysterical that because of a few made shots and 3 pointers, all of a sudden everyone wants wally back.  You think KG could stand playing with wally again?  If Doc actually encouraged Ray to do what he did in Seattle (drive more, create own shot instead of spot up shooter; also run more screens and curls for him) then he wouldn't be struggling.  His defense is fine.  What, so Joe Johnson made some improbable shots in round 1, and wally made a few, now sudden Ray is a defensive liability?  I know people have been saying that all season, but I think some people read the media stories like it's the bible or something.  Sure he's not the best perimeter defender, but remember how well he guarded Kobe the first time they played the Lakers this season? (I didn't catch the second time they played them in December)  I'm surprised with the amount of loose balls/rebounds he comes up with on the defensive end as well.  He's a great team player, good passer, doesn't try to "get his" too much, and god I wish him and KG would do more pick and rolls, they worked beautifully all season.  The one thing I was dissapointed with was a few transition fast break plays he screwed up (game in Pheonix is the only one that comes to mind), but no one is perfect every time. 
Even though Ray's ankles are held together with scotch tape and his legs are hurting, I would MUCH rather have him than wally, and especially would rather have him and Big Baby than wally, Delonte and Jeff Green.  I live in Boston, and I hate how quickly couch potato/fans put down their own players when they get the chance.

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 08:01:27 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Ray Allen by a whisker.
I'm not here to defend the original poster, but to some others who are jumping on him with comments like "anyone who doesn't think Ray Allen is better than Wally doesn't know basketball"(paraphrase), maybe he's basing it on the present and not on reputation?  Because for the last couple of games Wally has been better.
NO, I don't want Wally back, but if he's healthy he's a good fit for Cleveland.  I just wish Allen(and PP, and Rondo, and Sam) would all play just a little bit better and end this series.

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 09:40:23 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I was very surprised the Sonics were able to get a top 5 pick for Ray Allen at his age and with his contract. C's have passed on a lot of talent to take a small window shot with this group. We passed on the CP3/Pierce draft day trade a few yr ago, pased on Brandon Roy and traded the pick, traded this past yr's lottery pick, and traded Al Jefferson. personally, i would have gone the other way and made the Pierce trade. I think a CP3/jefferson/Roy trio would have set us up better, and imo would have been more exciting.

Ray Allen was probably worth a top 5 pick when he was on the Bucks. That Ray Allen would have been great to have. And honestly I'd of loved to of had a younger KG too. he's about to lose something really quick too.

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 09:44:34 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Two games doesn't make Wally the Vowel or West worth more than Ray Allen.

Knee-jerk thread.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."