Author Topic: Ainge: "Realistically, I don’t see major changes coming"  (Read 8731 times)

Re: Ainge: "Realistically, I don’t see major changes coming"
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He'll either make a small change or two or none.   But , I'd bet my paycheck if a REAL impact BIG  like Smith, Love, Cousins, ect becomes available ...Danny will pull the trigger with only Pierce and KG protected.

Since the C's don't seem likey to go far with what they have (based on results so far) , don't think that will stop him from going after a star... 

Re: Ainge: "No Trade Likely"
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Also doesn't look like we have anything, we are willing to move, that the Lakers would be looking for in return for Pau.

Adrian Wojnarowski: Trade market for Pau Gasol complicated because Lakers have made clear that they don't want back long-term money in deal, league sources say. Even the Lakers - flush with cash - don't want the tax burden of Dwight Howard (assuming he signs), Kobe Bryant and a third massive salary. Twitter @WojYahooNBA

I could potentially see Dallas as a spot for him though. I wish there was a way Ainge could have signed a lot of our guys to shorter deals.

Update:
Miguel Angel Paniagua: Rumor with some legs from Charlotte: Bobcats could be considering a trade package of DeSagana Diop, Ben Gordon and a draft pick for Pau Gasol. Twitter @pantxopaniagua
I wonder if what I heard on the radio this morning has an impact?  Pau's 19 mil comes off the books at the same time as lebron's deal in MIA.  Connect the dots and it might make some sense.

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 02:06:27 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I just think that we can't take anything from what DA says in public about the possibility of trades.  It isn't in our best interest to light up the neon sign open for business.

I don't think this statement has anything at all to do with the reality behind the scenes.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
There is no way he would come out and say a huge trade is probably gonna happen.

Hopefully something is in the works though, because we look awful.

Like what?

With the way teams are in regards to the cap... I mean who do you really think we can get for these guys? You're watching how they have been playing. Well, so are all the GMs and owners.

I don't think Ainge is going to move Sully and AB. He could but I doubt it.
Is it 2001? Sully and/or AB for this years Rogers and Delk? That didn't work then, wouldn't work now. I think Danny knows that.

Of the others on the roster, I don't see realistic trades that really help the C's short or long term. Maybe Danny finds something by the deadline, I doubt he will.

OTOH, this group *has* gone as far as it is going to go. Even if it catches fire if won't get all the way through the playoffs to the finals, much less win them. Maybe they can eek into the playoffs and give Sully, AB and (maybe) Melo some experience this year, but I think the rebuild has started and its pace will accelerate.

Last time Danny kept Pierce and Rondo as building blocks and everyone else was an asset to be traded for KG/Allen. This time maybe it's Rondo and...??? Maybe it's not even Rondo. And I don't know who the targets are...no idea. I don't expect the big deals to happen this year, though. Next summer, maybe, the summer of 2014 is more likely.

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 02:14:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Also doesn't look like we have anything, we are willing to move, that the Lakers would be looking for in return for Pau.

Adrian Wojnarowski: Trade market for Pau Gasol complicated because Lakers have made clear that they don't want back long-term money in deal, league sources say. Even the Lakers - flush with cash - don't want the tax burden of Dwight Howard (assuming he signs), Kobe Bryant and a third massive salary. Twitter @WojYahooNBA

I could potentially see Dallas as a spot for him though. I wish there was a way Ainge could have signed a lot of our guys to shorter deals.

Update:
Miguel Angel Paniagua: Rumor with some legs from Charlotte: Bobcats could be considering a trade package of DeSagana Diop, Ben Gordon and a draft pick for Pau Gasol. Twitter @pantxopaniagua
Wow, I can not believe that's something the Lakers would do.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I just think that we can't take anything from what DA says in public about the possibility of trades.  It isn't in our best interest to light up the neon sign open for business.

I don't think this statement has anything at all to do with the reality behind the scenes.

The thing is though, Danny never even says he isn't open for business.  All he really says is the trades are hard to do in the NBA.  He is stating the obvious and trying to quell fan expectations. 

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Update:

Depends on the pick.  If they are getting the Bobcats lottery pick this year (not sure if they can trade that, since they owe a future pick to the Bulls), then it makes some sense.  Gordon is a quality player who comes off the books next year, and would be a great fit in the D'Antoni system, and Diop is an expiring deal.

Considering the way they have killed Pau's value, I could see that being the type of offers they are getting.  Quality starter/expiring contract/lottery pick. 

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 02:21:11 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Update:

Depends on the pick.  If they are getting the Bobcats lottery pick this year (not sure if they can trade that, since they owe a future pick to the Bulls), then it makes some sense.  Gordon is a quality player who comes off the books next year, and would be a great fit in the D'Antoni system, and Diop is an expiring deal.

Considering the way they have killed Pau's value, I could see that being the type of offers they are getting.  Quality starter/expiring contract/lottery pick. 
Yeah I guess if that turns out to be the number one pick that would make it a good deal for the Lakers.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 02:23:19 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Update:

Yeah I guess if that turns out to be the number one pick that would make it a good deal for the Lakers.

And a horrible trade for the Bobcats. Attaining Gasol goes against everything they've been doing the last few years.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 02:28:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I wonder if Denver would trade Iguodala for Pau Gasol. They badly need some skilled size to balance their frontline and create good spacing for their perimeter players.

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 02:29:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Realistically, i don't see us winning a championship this year with this team.

Do you always know who will win the title by the middle of the season?

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 02:35:02 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I wonder if Denver would trade Iguodala for Pau Gasol. They badly need some skilled size to balance their frontline and create good spacing for their perimeter players.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=az4kd28

Gasol and Sacre for Iggy and Mozgov.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 02:40:22 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Danny says this literally every year, both before the draft and near the trade deadline.

Right, and all he is doing is citing the rule of averages.  Yeah, trades are hard to do, and chances are, a big one won't happen.  But that doesn't mean he isn't trying really, really hard.

This. It's like when he denies Rondo trade rumors... he says things like:

"I anticipate Rondo being here for a long time". Sounds convincing.

Only after the rumors got so strong last year that his value was getting trashed did Ainge have to come out and say "Rondo is not being traded" to stop the bleeding....

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Danny says this literally every year, both before the draft and near the trade deadline.

Right, and all he is doing is citing the rule of averages.  Yeah, trades are hard to do, and chances are, a big one won't happen.  But that doesn't mean he isn't trying really, really hard.

Only after the rumors got so strong last year that his value was getting trashed did Ainge have to come out and say "Rondo is not being traded" to stop the bleeding....

I remember reading somewhere that those rumors were started by teams hoping to trade for Rondo to a) lower his value and b) alienate Ainge and Rondo so I'd take most of the rumors with a rather large grain of salt.

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I remember reading somewhere that those rumors were started by teams hoping to trade for Rondo to a) lower his value and b) alienate Ainge and Rondo so I'd take most of the rumors with a rather large grain of salt.

Point is how Ainge chooses his words, not the rumors themselves.

The phrase "realistically, I don't see major changes coming" means almost literally nothing regarding the Cs hopes or intentions.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)