Author Topic: Amir Johnson to Celtics  (Read 72595 times)

Re: Amir Johnson to Celtics
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2015, 04:45:49 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I like the player but not the money. Me thinks we can get him for $4 million less. But he's atleast an upgrade defensively, AND athletically over any of our bigs.

But man, $12 million per year, that's a tough first year, cap wise, unless we move some players.
Some players are going to get moved.

« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2015, 04:47:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I like the player but not the money. Me thinks we can get him for $4 million less. But he's atleast an upgrade defensively, AND athletically over any of our bigs.

But man, $12 million per year, that's a tough first year, cap wise, unless we move some players.

I think Ainge probably paid more per annum to keep the years down to 2.

Maintain flexibility rather than locked in to a long term deal at better rate per year.

« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2015, 04:47:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
UPDATE!
Deals w/Amir Johnson and Jerebko have non-guaranteed 2nd years. Full story on Celtics' FA pursuits just posted. http://bit.ly/1FScuee - Steve Bulpett
That's great news! Johnson will be a good trade asset to have if he doens't pan out in Boston!

Nice!  Yeah this is a mix between addressing some team needs and adding a spreadsheet asset that can be used in a variety of ways to enable other moves.

This makes me feel a lot better about both signings - with no big FAs coming here, we can afford to give up this year's space, and the nonguaranteed part makes these valuable contracts to flip as well.

« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2015, 04:47:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Every time I see Johnson, I like how he plays.

Now that I check his stats, I expected to see more blocked shots.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2015, 04:48:13 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Because they already did the blow up/bottom out thing.  That ship has sailed.  It's been pretty apparent that blowing it up again isn't the direction this organization is headed.  People can advocate "bottoming out" again until they're blue in the face but its not happening in '15-16.
I guess Danny has a lot of faith in his ability to make prime rib out of ground beef.

He made it happen once. But since then, nothing. Granted he didn't have the cap space or the assets to do something big. This year was his chance. So far, the draft pick and the signings have been under-whelming, imo.

The media/reporters praised him for getting all those assets, as did I, but it looks like those assets are worth flea market material at the moment.

Only to those who weren't reading the writing on the wall.  Having #16, #28, and a limited amount of cap space weren't exactly a recipe for a fireworks filled summer.
I thought that all along, but 12 million a year for Amir Johnson is just totally nutso.

It's only two years.  Not ideal but not exactly crippling, either.

Yeah, people need to chill out. With cap going up, his contract will be looking good next year. And this year it *might* be a bit expensive, but who cares? Given that we weren't getting a big FA, the only one who should be upset if anyone is the one who actually pays the salary, that is Wyc.

« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2015, 04:48:20 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I think we end up liking the guy but 12 mil a year???????

« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
UPDATE!
Deals w/Amir Johnson and Jerebko have non-guaranteed 2nd years. Full story on Celtics' FA pursuits just posted. http://bit.ly/1FScuee - Steve Bulpett
That's great news! Johnson will be a good trade asset to have if he doens't pan out in Boston!

Agreed, wasn't a fan, but this gives a lot of flexibility.

Makes it clearly a good move in my opinion. So what if we're paying him a bit more than we would if the second year was guaranteed. Not much use for cap space this year anyway.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2015, 04:48:44 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
UPDATE!

Wow. That's two great moves by Danny.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2015, 04:49:10 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Every time I see Johnson, I like how he plays.

Now that I check his stats, I expected to see more blocked shots.
Was thinking the same thing. Maybe he alters more shots.

« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
UPDATE!

so I guess c's aren't going to offer Harris a full max according to that article

Sources from other teams and within the player rep community say the C's are also in play for Tobias Harris and Corey Brewer, but in those cases the club is said to have its limits. There are salary and length-of-contract parameters for each that Boston will not exceed.

It is interesting to note that, from all accounts, the Celtics have had no contact at all with several other free agents with whom they've been linked in media reports.

In some of these cases, it's said to be because they are not particularly fond of the player's game, while in others it's because they've become aware the player is seeking more than they are willing to spend -- and may get it elsewhere in the open market.
[/b]

« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2015, 04:49:24 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
UPDATE!

I feel better after reading this.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2015, 04:49:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
So the question is, do we still have the money to get Harris?

Smart/IT
Bradley/Young
Harris/Turner
Sully/KO
Johnson/Zeller

That's actually a fairly intriguing young core. It'd be interesting to see how Brad could make that team run.

« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2015, 04:50:20 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
UPDATE!

Wow. That's two great moves by Danny.

Amazing how one update completely changes the perspective on these moves.

I'll take it.

« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2015, 04:51:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
UPDATE!

Nice!  Yeah this is a mix between addressing some team needs and adding a spreadsheet asset that can be used in a variety of ways to enable other moves.

This makes me feel a lot better about both signings - with no big FAs coming here, we can afford to give up this year's space, and the nonguaranteed part makes these valuable contracts to flip as well.

I was speechless, wondering why we tied up so much money in very 'meh' guys for the next two years. If we aren't going to acquire anybody good this offseason, then at least we maintain our flexibility beyond the year.

I can breathe again...but still bummed we couldn't have more of a splash.

« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2015, 04:51:29 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
UPDATE!

A bit more palatable. Hopefully Johnson will play with a chip on his shoulder and turn into a keeper, or more likely, a useful trade piece.