Author Topic: Amir Johnson to Celtics  (Read 72599 times)

Re: Amir Johnson to Celtics
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2015, 04:31:19 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

Because they already did the blow up/bottom out thing.  That ship has sailed.  It's been pretty apparent that blowing it up again isn't the direction this organization is headed.  People can advocate "bottoming out" again until they're blue in the face but its not happening in '15-16.
I guess Danny has a lot of faith in his ability to make prime rib out of ground beef.

He made it happen once. But since then, nothing. Granted he didn't have the cap space or the assets to do something big. This year was his chance. So far, the draft pick and the signings have been under-whelming, imo.

The media/reporters praised him for getting all those assets, as did I, but it looks like those assets are worth flea market material at the moment.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2015, 04:33:40 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Noooooooo!  Why!!! :(

« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2015, 04:34:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Because they already did the blow up/bottom out thing.  That ship has sailed.  It's been pretty apparent that blowing it up again isn't the direction this organization is headed.  People can advocate "bottoming out" again until they're blue in the face but its not happening in '15-16.
I guess Danny has a lot of faith in his ability to make prime rib out of ground beef.

He made it happen once. But since then, nothing. Granted he didn't have the cap space or the assets to do something big. This year was his chance. So far, the draft pick and the signings have been under-whelming, imo.

The media/reporters praised him for getting all those assets, as did I, but it looks like those assets are worth flea market material at the moment.

Only to those who weren't reading the writing on the wall.  Having #16, #28, and a limited amount of cap space weren't exactly a recipe for a fireworks filled summer.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2015, 04:34:36 PM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
This ends our free agency Jerebko and Johnson

We are at 59 mil and I expect Crowder to get 8 mil with all the crazy deals going on and that would put us over the cap.

You did it again Danny fireworks  >:(

Think you are right on this one.  These signings aren't made without a plan or deal for Harris already in the works if he is coming here.  I was ok with Johnson but seeing JJ resign so quickly tells me we are no longer a player for a big name.  5 million a year deals for middling talent usually come after the big/important deal is done.

« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2015, 04:37:01 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I like this signing. The money is a bit much (IMO) but I'll continue to trust in DA and CBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Ln8gjRIPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bkgM8YPcV0

This is just a touch of what Amir can do...looking forward to seeing how CBS utilizes him.

Welcome to Boston, Amir :)

« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2015, 04:37:59 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Quick, someone start following Sully's twitter! Idk how to do the twitterbug or I would... but it would be epic to see a reaction to this.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2015, 04:39:46 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

Only to those who weren't reading the writing on the wall.  Having #16, #28, and a limited amount of cap space weren't exactly a recipe for a fireworks filled summer.

Are you saying you expected Danny to tie up $17 mil on Amir and Jonas this off-season?

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2015, 04:40:36 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
This is the worse signing I could have imagined. When I heard about this guy being a target I figured MLE $. Hate to say it but I hear that "Fire Ainge" drum pounding louder!! >:(

« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2015, 04:41:18 PM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
Actually we could stretch Wallace for 7 mil and let Crowder go to keep the other 9 million free to get to 16 and max out Harris, don't see it though.

« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2015, 04:42:04 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Anyone else p---ed off about this signing?

I'm at least ... perplexed.

Signing Amir to such a huge deal signals that the team does not expect to be much of a player in the free agent market.  Not a great surprise.

But it means that despite not being a major player, the team is willing to spend money on stop-gap options that will keep the team closer to the middle.

Settling for mediocrity does not make me happy at all.  Go big or jettison the extras and let the young guys play.

Instead we're spending $12 million per year to replace Bass with a slightly taller guy who is worse offensively and slightly better defensively.

Unless, as Who worriedly ponders, Johnson is on a permanent decline, he's a far superior defender to Bass and at worst an equivalent offensive player.
Bass was one of our better defensive bigs last year and was a lot cheaper.

Bass is a lot smaller though. An undersized PF. 6 foot 7 PF. Good for matching up against PFs and some SFs but struggles defensively at C because he is not a shot-blocker and is often too small to defend skilled Cs.

Amir Johnson is 6-11 240lbs. He has the size and athleticism to defend the center position. He gives Boston a different type of defensive presence. More shot blocking and interior defense around the basket.
It's time for Bass and his stone hands to move on.  Personally I'm fine with dropping him, Sully AND KO and finding some better options.  Nothing against Bass btw.  He was a solid player here.  It's just that where this team is now, its time to move on.  He can still help a good team and I hope he gets that chance. 

Team had to get bigger and more defense oriented at the 4-5.  This seems like a step in that direction.  Of course Johnson is now making more than Curry apparently.....

« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2015, 04:42:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I thought that all along, but 12 million a year for Amir Johnson is just totally nutso.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2015, 04:42:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Are you saying you expected Danny to tie up $17 mil on Amir and Jonas this off-season?

I didn't expect something "big" this summer.  I figured on more stop gap measures which is kinda what we're seeing.  Not necessarily Amir & Jonas in particular but given the FA market, I thought it was pretty far-fetched that they were going to do something big and my expectations from the draft were pretty tempered given the draft slots.  I thought the trade avenue would be something more explored this coming season. 

« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2015, 04:42:44 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
UPDATE!
Deals w/Amir Johnson and Jerebko have non-guaranteed 2nd years. Full story on Celtics' FA pursuits just posted. http://bit.ly/1FScuee - Steve Bulpett
That's great news! Johnson will be a good trade asset to have if he doens't pan out in Boston!
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2015, 04:43:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I thought that all along, but 12 million a year for Amir Johnson is just totally nutso.

It's only two years.  Not ideal but not exactly crippling, either.

« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
UPDATE!
Deals w/Amir Johnson and Jerebko have non-guaranteed 2nd years. Full story on Celtics' FA pursuits just posted. http://bit.ly/1FScuee - Steve Bulpett
That's great news! Johnson will be a good trade asset to have if he doens't pan out in Boston!

Agreed, wasn't a fan, but this gives a lot of flexibility.