Author Topic: Amir Johnson to Celtics  (Read 72593 times)

Re: Amir Johnson to Celtics
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I think they could start him with either Sully or Olynyk, but I would have rather we brought in a true 5 like Robin Lopez than Johnson.
I have been saying for the past few months that I think Robin Lopez will get $15-19 million per annum this summer with the new salary cap coming in.

I haven't seen any estimates yet in the press about how much R.Lopez is looking for but I still believe that he'll cost something in that range ... or at the very least, considerably more than Amir Johnson + R.Lopez will likely have wanted a full 4 year deal instead of the 2 year deal Amir Johnson just signed.

I think that financially the differences between the two are why Amir was picked ahead of R.Lopez.

« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2015, 04:08:52 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Brandon Bass measured in at:

6 foot 6 and a quarter inches without shoes
6 foot 7 and a quarter inches with shoes

According to Draftexpress pre-draft measurements.

Here is a photo of full-grown Amir standing next to a hunched over man that is actually 6'11"

« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2015, 04:10:57 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Solid move? Solid rim protector?

Every player signed by the Cs automatically becomes a "solid" something. Excitement over marginal improvement? I don't get it.

On the bright side, he doesn't seem to remind anyone here of Marcus Banks.

« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2015, 04:11:18 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Are people confused? The cap is going UP. Not DOWN.

Most of the deals signed today league-wide will look great when the cap is adjusted.  Chill out.

I love the signing. Time to let Bass walk to a real contender. Or I wouldn't mind keeping Bass as long as we got rid of Olynyk.

As of right now we have 5 pfs signed on the roster Sully, KO, Johnson, Mickey, Jerebko and I would choose all 4 over Johnson and heres the kicker they are all much cheaper.

Where is he gonna get play time?? Why would we get rid of any of these guys when they are younger, better at the moment, and cost less?

Sullinger has a knack for being injured at inopportune times.
Bass will likely walk away to a contender.
KO is KO and I wouldn't shed a tear over losing a guy who who plays like a guard and not like a big.
Mickey is a rookie so there's that.
Jerebko...I'm all in. Love Jonas.

I'm not so sure Bass and Olynyk will be around in November so does 3 PFs sound so bad?
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2015, 04:12:46 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Jay King on Amir Johnson/Celts

Haven't found one NBA person yet who dislikes it for the Celtics.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2015, 04:13:12 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I think this was a Stevens pick. Seems like he prefers players with some toughness.

Moves since Stevens.

Smart, Rozier, Amir, Jerebko, Crowder, resigned Bradley.

Definitely see a pattern and the type of player Stevens wants. Still don't like this signing.

Intelligent, tough, hard-working, undersized, defensively-oriented role players.

Creating a really nice supporting cast for the offensive superstar we don't have.
Seems like a player like Noel, even tho he's not the super star we need right now, would fit in well with this team.

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2015, 04:13:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think they could start him with either Sully or Olynyk, but I would have rather we brought in a true 5 like Robin Lopez than Johnson.
I have been saying for the past few months that I think Robin Lopez will get $15-19 million per annum this summer with the new salary cap coming in.

I haven't seen any estimates yet in the press about how much R.Lopez is looking for but I still believe that he'll cost something in that range ... or at the very least, considerably more than Amir Johnson + R.Lopez will likely have wanted a full 4 year deal instead of the 2 year deal Amir Johnson just signed.

I think that financially the differences between the two are why Amir was picked ahead of R.Lopez.

bc Lopez can't shoot. Johnson can make the 3 when he is free.   

Plus you don't have to overpay to the max for Johnson

« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2015, 04:14:09 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
If you're going to suck, suck like a Dyson. Why make marginal improvements and risk a few spots in the draft?
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2015, 04:14:25 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Brandon Bass measured in at:

6 foot 6 and a quarter inches without shoes
6 foot 7 and a quarter inches with shoes

According to Draftexpress pre-draft measurements.

Here is a photo of full-grown Amir standing next to a hunched over man that is actually 6'11"

We can do better than that, we at least know he's taller than former NBA celebrity All Star Game MVP

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2015, 04:17:07 PM »

Offline Soytiz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
I remember Amir being touted as a raw athletic talent during his Detroit days but lately he's been hurdling some nagging problems with his ankles. Hope he's free of it. The guy can defend and has some good hands on him. As for his contract, I leave it to you guys to debate the merits or demerits for that matter. I still have mixed feelings though so I'm a be sitting on the fence in this one...

Now how about some Amir highlights to lighten the mood?

« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2015, 04:17:13 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Maple Syrup and Canadian Bacon would have made for better imports. :P

EDIT: Sorry to all the fans that are giddy over this signing. It makes no sense to me. And I don't like it. But I'll refrain from making more comments here.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2015, 04:18:10 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I hate this signing, this guy is MLE $ at best, Danny got hosed on this deal I have to assume it was doing an agent a favor for the future? :-X

« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2015, 04:19:15 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
In theory at least he sounds like he'd be the perfect fit alongside either of Jerebko or Olynyk, and would enable us to field lineups where all 5 players could hit open threes that aren't a complete disaster defensively.

The plan is clearly not to tank, but to make the team incrementally better until we're actually respectable enough to attract a FA. Win 50 games and make the playoffs by adding Johnson and perhaps Harris and maybe we're able to make a splash in 2016. It's a bit of a crapshoot, but every path to rebuilding is a bit of a crapshoot.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2015, 04:19:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Jay King on Amir Johnson/Celts

Haven't found one NBA person yet who dislikes it for the Celtics.

Come down to CelticsBlog, we're all NBA experts and we hate it!

« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2015, 04:19:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Whelp... ;D

Here it is FOLKS !

Woo hoo,

The BIG

Fireworks.

Waited all year for .......A.Johnson and Terry Rosier

I m soooooooooooooooopppppp excited

About as happy as seeing my mother n law on XMAS morning.

Thanks Danny