Author Topic: Amir Johnson to Celtics  (Read 72597 times)

Re: Amir Johnson to Celtics
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2015, 04:00:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Anyone else p---ed off about this signing?

I'm at least ... perplexed.

Signing Amir to such a huge deal signals that the team does not expect to be much of a player in the free agent market.  Not a great surprise.

But it means that despite not being a major player, the team is willing to spend money on stop-gap options that will keep the team closer to the middle.

Settling for mediocrity does not make me happy at all.  Go big or jettison the extras and let the young guys play.

Instead we're spending $12 million per year to replace Bass with a slightly taller guy who is worse offensively and slightly better defensively.

Unless, as Who worriedly ponders, Johnson is on a permanent decline, he's a far superior defender to Bass and at worst an equivalent offensive player.
Bass was one of our better defensive bigs last year and was a lot cheaper.

Bass is a lot smaller though. An undersized PF. 6 foot 7 PF. Good for matching up against PFs and some SFs but struggles defensively at C because he is not a shot-blocker and is often too small to defend skilled Cs.

Amir Johnson is 6-11 240lbs. He has the size and athleticism to defend the center position. He gives Boston a different type of defensive presence. More shot blocking and interior defense around the basket.

You're giving him two inches there.  He's 6'9''.

Amir was 6-9 when he came into the league. He grew two inches his first two years in D-League.

Look at any photos of him or youtube highlights next to 6-9 guys. He is visibly taller.

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »

Offline 34truth

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • ubuntu
It's not that the deal in itself its outrageous, it's just that given the circumstances you rather work with the young guys we have (KO,Zeller,Sully,JJ) than to bring in another veteran

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2015, 04:01:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think this was a Stevens pick. Seems like he prefers players with some toughness.

Moves since Stevens.

Smart, Rozier, Amir, Jerebko, Crowder, resigned Bradley.

Definitely see a pattern and the type of player Stevens wants. Still don't like this signing.

Intelligent, tough, hard-working, undersized, defensively-oriented role players.

Creating a really nice supporting cast for the offensive superstar we don't have.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
Anyone else p---ed off about this signing?

I'm at least ... perplexed.

Signing Amir to such a huge deal signals that the team does not expect to be much of a player in the free agent market.  Not a great surprise.

But it means that despite not being a major player, the team is willing to spend money on stop-gap options that will keep the team closer to the middle.

Settling for mediocrity does not make me happy at all.  Go big or jettison the extras and let the young guys play.

Instead we're spending $12 million per year to replace Bass with a slightly taller guy who is worse offensively and slightly better defensively.

Unless, as Who worriedly ponders, Johnson is on a permanent decline, he's a far superior defender to Bass and at worst an equivalent offensive player.

Sure, but what's the point, big picture?  Or are we spending $12 million per season for an incremental improvement?

I completely don't get this signing at all.  Why are we signing guys with 10 years of experience that are at best another undersized (for position) with no great offensive game?  I mean don't we have enough of those guys already?  I don't know why would bring in a 10 year vet to this team right now unless they are at least a 2nd tier star.  It makes no sense.

Only + is a short deal I guess.  But 12 mil a year uggg.  He made 5..5 mil last year for Toronto.

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2015, 04:01:55 PM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Let me put it like this Tyson Chandler just signed a deal for 13 mil per year and we got Amir Johnson for 12 mil per year... yayy -_____-

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2015, 04:01:56 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Bass is a lot smaller though. An undersized PF. 6 foot 7 PF. Good for matching up against PFs and some SFs but struggles defensively at C because he is not a shot-blocker and is often too small to defend skilled Cs.

Amir Johnson is 6-11 240lbs. He has the size and athleticism to defend the center position. He gives Boston a different type of defensive presence. More shot blocking and interior defense around the basket.

plus don't forget that Bass is 5'11" and Amir Johnson is 7'2".

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2015, 04:02:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's not that the deal in itself its outrageous, it's just that given the circumstances you rather work with the young guys we have (KO,Zeller,Sully,JJ) than to bring in another veteran

Right.

I'm cool with signing Amir to help the team win 50+ games after they add a core piece or two.  But just adding him as an incremental upgrade over Bass?

Why?  So we can try and repeat as the 7th seed?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2015, 04:02:50 PM »

Offline 34truth

• Brad Stevens
  • ubuntu
Plus, Amir Johnson is a great center for

(1) Transition basketball (offense and defense)
(2) Defensive versatility at center, ability to step out in pick and rolls, to switch onto smaller players and in closing out on shooters.

I think going with a PF/C with speed is to better enable these elements in the Celtics game-plan.
Maybe, but aren't we too loaded at that spot already? They are also younger

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2015, 04:03:08 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Solid move? Solid rim protector?

Every player signed by the Cs automatically becomes a "solid" something. Excitement over marginal improvement? I don't get it.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2015, 04:03:29 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
While I think this is a slight upgrade over Bass, he is still a role player without the potential to be anything more than a roleplayer.

I think they could start him with either Sully or Olynyk, but I would have rather we brought in a true 5 like Robin Lopez than Johnson.

I would rather we spend $15 on Harris than Johnson. That being said, if this move is followed up by a sign and Trade for Harris then I'm on board.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2015, 04:03:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Brandon Bass measured in at:

6 foot 6 and a quarter inches without shoes
6 foot 7 and a quarter inches with shoes

According to Draftexpress pre-draft measurements.

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2015, 04:03:57 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
I think this was a Stevens pick. Seems like he prefers players with some toughness.

Moves since Stevens.

Smart, Rozier, Amir, Jerebko, Crowder, resigned Bradley.

Definitely see a pattern and the type of player Stevens wants. Still don't like this signing.

C's best trade asset is the coach. Being built like a mid-major NCAA team.

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2015, 04:04:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Plus, Amir Johnson is a great center for

(1) Transition basketball (offense and defense)
(2) Defensive versatility at center, ability to step out in pick and rolls, to switch onto smaller players and in closing out on shooters.

I think going with a PF/C with speed is to better enable these elements in the Celtics game-plan.
Maybe, but aren't we too loaded at that spot already? They are also younger

Celtics have only 1 center with Zeller. Unless you want Olynyk to play there.

Olynyk and Sully to play PF.
Zeller and Amir to play C.

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2015, 04:05:37 PM »

Offline 34truth

• Brad Stevens
  • ubuntu
It's just a very weird pickup. Maybe they have a trade in mind for some of our bigs? If not, even if it helps us a little in the short term, I think it's unnecessary.

« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2015, 04:07:18 PM »

Offline 34truth

• Brad Stevens
  • ubuntu
Solid move? Solid rim protector?

Every player signed by the Cs automatically becomes a "solid" something. Excitement over marginal improvement? I don't get it.