Author Topic: Amir Johnson to Celtics  (Read 72596 times)

Re: Amir Johnson to Celtics
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2015, 04:19:39 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I like the player but not the money. Me thinks we can get him for $4 million less. But he's atleast an upgrade defensively, AND athletically over any of our bigs.

But man, $12 million per year, that's a tough first year, cap wise, unless we move some players. 
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2015, 04:20:13 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Johnson is an upgrade at the 4. I am fine with incremental upgrades to improve this team while our young guys develop.

Before the off season I identified the 3 and the 5 at the areas in most need of an upgrade. Although the offseason is very young we have improved the depth at the 1,2 and 4 so essentially none of the positions I thought we needed an upgrade at.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2015, 04:20:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
If you're going to suck, suck like a Dyson. Why make marginal improvements and risk a few spots in the draft?

Because they already did the blow up/bottom out thing.  That ship has sailed.  It's been pretty apparent that blowing it up again isn't the direction this organization is headed.  People can advocate "bottoming out" again until they're blue in the face but its not happening in '15-16.  Next season will be another bridge year, much like this past season.  I have no problem with these "stop-gap" short term deals.  You need to fill out a roster.  Danny seems to be taking a careful approach to cap management.  This is pretty illustrative of continuing to maintain flexibility while contain to build up the assets he currently has.  Keeps the avenues open to upgrade the roster in a variety of ways down the road whether it now, next Feb, or next summer.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I hate this signing, this guy is MLE $ at best, Danny got hosed on this deal I have to assume it was doing an agent a favor for the future? :-X

he got paid 9million last season.   12 million per season for 2 years is ok.  Monroe on the other hand is looking for 18-20 for 4-5 years. And Johnson can definitely hang with Monroe

« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2015, 04:21:28 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
This is a guy we could have waited to sign for. What is Danny doing? 12 mil a year for this loser, I would have rather spent the money absorbing a bad contract and gotten paid a first rounder!

« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2015, 04:21:50 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Jay King on Amir Johnson/Celts

Haven't found one NBA person yet who dislikes it for the Celtics.

Alex Kennedy loves the move too.

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/616336079772340224

I think people are over-reacting to this for a few reasons

1. This isn't a long-term deal. It's just 2 years.
2. Johnson is a defensive-minded big, which is what the Celtics really needed.
3. The cap is going up anyway.
4. Better to get something than end up with nothing. I know that's debatable but in this case I think its a plus.
5. If stars are put on the market, Johnson's contract is an attractive cap filler for those stars. Not to mention if some teams need a big mid-season, Johnson would be a find.
6. Who were fans expecting the Celtics to get for bigs? Love is gone and I think we all knew that was coming, and the only other option the Celtics were linked to was Monroe, who people have said is most likely going to New York.

But I do agree that $12 million annually for this guy is the part where I scratch my head.

I hope this and Jerebko aren't the only moves the Celtics make.

« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2015, 04:21:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Jay King on Amir Johnson/Celts

Haven't found one NBA person yet who dislikes it for the Celtics.

Turr I ble

« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Are people confused? The cap is going UP. Not DOWN.

Most of the deals signed today league-wide will look great when the cap is adjusted.  Chill out.

I love the signing. Time to let Bass walk to a real contender. Or I wouldn't mind keeping Bass as long as we got rid of Olynyk.

As of right now we have 5 pfs signed on the roster Sully, KO, Johnson, Mickey, Jerebko and I would choose all 4 over Johnson and heres the kicker they are all much cheaper.

Where is he gonna get play time?? Why would we get rid of any of these guys when they are younger, better at the moment, and cost less?

Sullinger has a knack for being injured at inopportune times.
Bass will likely walk away to a contender.
KO is KO and I wouldn't shed a tear over losing a guy who who plays like a guard and not like a big.
Mickey is a rookie so there's that.
Jerebko...I'm all in. Love Jonas.

I'm not so sure Bass and Olynyk will be around in November so does 3 PFs sound so bad?

So your justification for this signing is assuming in the future Sully will be hurt and KO will be traded.

Let's say KO is traded and Sully stays healthy Amir will be the 4th big off the bench if Mickey doesn't show potential in the summer league so that would put the minutes at Sully(30), Jerebko(25) Zeller(25), Johnson(16)

So is he worth 12 mil a year for 16 min a game?

« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2015, 04:22:52 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
12 mil a year for another undersized PF? Ugh. Not a fan.

« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2015, 04:23:18 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

We can do better than that, we at least know he's taller than former NBA celebrity All Star Game MVP

Ha! Get Olynyk in there and I believe you've got the Canadian national team.

« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2015, 04:24:12 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I hate this signing, this guy is MLE $ at best, Danny got hosed on this deal I have to assume it was doing an agent a favor for the future? :-X

he got paid 9million last season.   12 million per season for 2 years is ok.  Monroe on the other hand is looking for 18-20 for 4-5 years. And Johnson can definitely hang with Monroe

Yeah, his 9 and 6 per game as a starter with 61% from the line definitely puts him on par with Monroe...

« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Because they already did the blow up/bottom out thing.  That ship has sailed.  It's been pretty apparent that blowing it up again isn't the direction this organization is headed.  People can advocate "bottoming out" again until they're blue in the face but its not happening in '15-16.

Sigh.  I think you're right.  Rebuilding from the middle it is.

I would feel a lot better about it if they had gotten a guy with more upside at #6 last year, or at least spend another year or two collecting top 10 picks before looking to be respectable again.  Just doesn't make sense to me.

I guess Danny has a lot of faith in his ability to make prime rib out of ground beef.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2015, 04:26:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

His 9 and 6 per game as a starter definitely puts him on par with Monroe...

What has Monroe done for the Pistons,  since being drafted?

Johnson is a better overall defender.

« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
This ends our free agency Jerebko and Johnson

We are at 59 mil and I expect Crowder to get 8 mil with all the crazy deals going on and that would put us over the cap.

You did it again Danny fireworks  >:(

« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2015, 04:30:41 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
$12 per annum for 2 years? 

We were looking for Love and all we got was a mere johnson.  ;D

Funny! ;)
blind optimist or GENIUS