Author Topic: Pistons (11-17) at Celtics (18-7) Game #26 12/20/19  (Read 24441 times)

Re: Pistons (11-17) at Celtics (18-7) Game #26 12/20/19
« Reply #225 on: December 22, 2019, 10:27:33 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
- Drummond looked very comfortable with the ball in his hands, his handle is really good for a big of his reputation. He might not be a great offensive big man, but his handle gives him some ability to create offence. His hands are also surprisingly quick - he guarded Kemba pretty well on switches due to his ability to poke the ball loose.

I thought Drummond looked good too. He’s obviously not a primary scoring option, and on that Pistons team? He has too much responsibility.

Unpopular opinion: I’d trade Hayward + filler for Drummond. Maybe Hayward+Kanter for Drummond+shooter?

Beside shot creators like Kemba and Tatum, and even a playmaker like Smart, I think Drummond would suddenly look very good. I think his vision and passing ability will allow him to do well in CBS system too. And on D? He seems switchable. Maybe not for ultra quick PG’s but he can probably guard 3-5, which is pretty good imo.
I would be more open to that if Theis and Kanter didn't take his lunch money this game lol. Obviously I know that one game is a ridiculously minuscule sample size, but it doesn't bode well that Theis physically bodied Drummond on a number of plays and held his own in general. We're looking for a guy who could slow down behemoths like Embiid and Giannis, not get neutralised by the likes of Theis Theis Baby and Kanter.

I see where you’re coming from but I think this is where role and team construction plays a part. I really don’t think Drummond can do well being a team’s best player, especially on offense. Kinda like Draymond. Draymond green looks less than average when he’s a team’s best player but looks amazing when there are other guys taking the lead.

So it’s one thing that Drummond isn’t the best scorer but there’s also the fact that Bruce Brown and Tony Snell are a faaaaaar cry from Kemba and Tatum. I don’t think the Pistons even have a playmaker, outside of Blake Griffin. Just a sad team overall
Oh for sure, that was why I said "physically bodied". My issue with Drummond after this game is that I'm worried that he wouldn't be a significant upgrade from Theis in the sense that we need a body who can bang against behemoths like Embiid and Giannis without being Kanter-esque bad on the perimeter. If Drummond gets physically dominated by Theis in a game (just because your teammates are bad doesn't mean that you lose the ability to bang inside), who's to say that he won't get abused by players who're the reason we need an upgrade at centre? Obviously I think he'd slow down Embiid and Giannis a bit more due to his extra girth, but I don't think he'd be anywhere near what we need to justify trading Hayward for him.

4000th post!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 10:34:54 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #226 on: December 22, 2019, 10:40:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Also FWIW if you're worried about matching up with Embiid, then you want to run as far from Drummond as possible. Dude has less of chance than Theis against him.

« Reply #227 on: December 22, 2019, 10:41:50 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Also FWIW if you're worried about matching up with Embiid, then you want to run as far from Drummond as possible. Dude has less of chance than Theis against him.
I'm fine with Kanter guarding Embiid so I don't want Drummond lol. I think we can somehow survive against Giannis by throwing everyone we have in our frontcourt+Smart at him so I'm fine with rolling into the playoffs with our current frontcourt (although a pickup off waivers like Favors or Gasol would be incredible).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #228 on: December 22, 2019, 11:27:08 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah, I got to admit, I was not impressed with Drummond. He didn't nothing to make a mark and will his team to victory. Granted, the team stinks but I just don't see Drummond being a difference maker.

That said, we need more from Kanter. He's missing bunnies around the net, and his defense is subpar. I'm rooting for him, but he's also kinda established that he's a back-up, where I guess I was expecting a starting caliber player.

Kudos to JT and JB (especially JT) for an awesome game. Theis was awful in the 1st half, but woke up in the 2nd.

More Javonte Green please from Brad and kudos to Kemba. He had a tough game, but that didn't stop him from passing the ball, not hanging his head down and kept smiling.

« Reply #229 on: December 22, 2019, 03:30:26 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Yeah, I got to admit, I was not impressed with Drummond. He didn't nothing to make a mark and will his team to victory. Granted, the team stinks but I just don't see Drummond being a difference maker.

Really? 12-11 might be a quiet night for him but 6 steals is nothing to sneeze at. I don’t think he’ll ever be a 20ppg scorer and can’t just “carry a team” but I mean, if he could, he’d be Anthony Davis or Giannis or something. You’re not landing an MVP-level player with a package centered around Hayward.

Also, to get an idea of how bad this Pistons team is, remove Kemba, Jaylen, Tatum, and Smart on this team, how well do you think Hayward would fare (assuming he was healthy) and what would the C’s record be?

- LilRip

« Reply #230 on: December 22, 2019, 05:02:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That said, we need more from Kanter. He's missing bunnies around the net, and his defense is subpar. I'm rooting for him, but he's also kinda established that he's a back-up, where I guess I was expecting a starting caliber player.

He got 18 rebounds in 21 minutes and scored 8 points on 4/9 shooting. Not sure what more you can want, besides maybe one more made FG
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #231 on: December 22, 2019, 06:42:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

He got 18 rebounds in 21 minutes and scored 8 points on 4/9 shooting. Not sure what more you can want, besides maybe one more made FG

I get that, I just pay extra attention to certain isolated plays where he’s a little slow to the basket, weak on defense and does get outrebound. The box score bears out he had a solid night. Just think on certain occasions he could be better.