Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 285882 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #900 on: December 10, 2022, 04:30:33 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Zion 360 dunk at the end of the Suns game. A little skirmish ensues between the two teams.

Pelicans-Suns rivalry going to be good in the West!

The Suns got mad because Zion punked them at the end but none of them actually tried to get back and defend  ;D

NEW ORLEANS -- Pelicans forward Zion Williamson took two dribbles toward the rim and pulled off a 360 windmill dunk to end Friday night's game against the Phoenix Suns in style.

Some Suns players took exception to Williamson's slam, which happened with 1.9 seconds left to put the Pelicans up by double-digits. As the clock expired in New Orleans' 128-117 win, tempers flared as both benches cleared onto the court.

Pelicans guard Jose Alvarado, Suns guards Cameron Payne and Chris Paul and coaching staffs from both teams met near center court before security helped to separate both teams.

"The game was pretty much over and they just kept playing," Payne said. "I felt like there was just no sportsmanship and we don't really like that. We do the right thing. I felt like they should've done the right thing and they didn't. We didn't take it well and we don't like to lose either. The game was over, no shot clock. They can hold the ball."

Pelicans guard CJ McCollum, when asked about Payne's postgame remarks, gave a simple answer.

"They got to get back on defense if they don't want us to dunk the ball," McCollum said. "Get back on defense."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35222545/zion-williamson-says-playoff-loss-suns-played-part-late-dunk

These are the types of things that I have zero sympathy for. If it was Duke or Gonzaga doing it to some Division III college that they are beating by a hundred that's one thing. But these are professional basketball players making millions. Don't expect the other team to give up just because you decide you've had enough. You want respect? Go and earn it.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #901 on: December 10, 2022, 07:18:53 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I have absolutely no problem with what Zion did.  At the end of the day, this is also entertainment.  I’m sure there were a bunch of kids at their first (and maybe last) NBA game.  They’ll definitely remember that 360 dunk.  No one’s going to remember dribbling out the clock.  One of my biggest pet peeves in the sport is the stupid purposeful 24 second violation.  All it does is delay the end of the game.  Just keep playing.  It doesn’t mean you need to put on a full-court press while you’re up 30.  However, blowouts also mean end-of-the-bench guys who might be hanging on by a string are having a small moment to showcase their talents. 

It’s pretty hypocritical of NBA players to get upset about things like this when they’re doing the “too small” gesture or any number of other things to show up an opponent throughout a game.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 07:25:09 AM by CelticsWhat35 »

« Reply #902 on: December 10, 2022, 07:44:40 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I have absolutely no problem with what Zion did.  At the end of the day, this is also entertainment.  I’m sure there were a bunch of kids at their first (and maybe last) NBA game.  They’ll definitely remember that 360 dunk.  No one’s going to remember dribbling out the clock.  One of my biggest pet peeves in the sport is the stupid purposeful 24 second violation.  All it does is delay the end of the game.  Just keep playing.  It doesn’t mean you need to put on a full-court press while you’re up 30.  However, blowouts also mean end-of-the-bench guys who might be hanging on by a string are having a small moment to showcase their talents. 

It’s pretty hypocritical of NBA players to get upset about things like this when they’re doing the “too small” gesture or any number of other things to show up an opponent throughout a game.

I suppose I generally disagree with you and Oz on this. To be clear I don’t care all that much about it and if it happened v. the Celtics I’d want them to take it in stride and give either a chuckle and no comment or say it was a heckava dunk. That said, i definitely prefer that the Celtics not do something like that. It’s not a great look and it can fire up an opponent. No sense in it. Fans should be entertained by a win without gratuitous theatrics.

Btw, this is a Belichick mentality - and I didn’t like it when he did it. Note - I’m talking about when the game is in an impossible comeback circumstance (e.g., up 21+ with <3 minutes left, 1st down). The justification that it’s up to the defense to stop me sounds good but is absurd. Run the ball, run it hard and try to gain yards, but take time off the clock rather that run up a score. Throw on 3rd to secure a 1st is fine.

I love the 10-20 seconds of applause for the home team while they’re dribbling out.

« Reply #903 on: December 10, 2022, 08:24:46 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I thought it was a perfect ending of the game for the Pelicans.  It looked like it was in good fun to me.  Complaining about this stuff makes you look lazy, entitled, and sensitive.  Expecting the other team to quit before the game is over is a stupid expectation.  I don't think the leading team needs to quit just because the trailing team doesn't feel like playing anymore.

« Reply #904 on: December 10, 2022, 08:41:12 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
360 cool ! 

I’m down with it

« Reply #905 on: December 10, 2022, 09:25:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Dallas blew that game last night vs Bucks. Missed 8 free throws in 4th quarter. Hardaway got fouled on 3 point shot and missed all 3 foul shots. Luka 4/10 from foul line. MVPs don’t do that.

Bucks don’t scare me. Middleton playing back to form but they are not on same level as Celtics IMO. Giannis despite his greatness is a flawed super star too dependent on running through guys to generate his offense. Fouled out last night.

« Reply #906 on: December 10, 2022, 09:30:01 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
...  One of my biggest pet peeves in the sport is the stupid purposeful 24 second violation.  All it does is delay the end of the game.  Just keep playing.  It doesn’t mean you need to put on a full-court press while you’re up 30.  .. 
Yup me too, especially when there is MORE THAN 24 seconds left in the game. Dribble out the clock only with less than 24 seconds left, otherwise play the game.

« Reply #907 on: December 10, 2022, 09:42:19 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Regarding the Pelicans-Suns skirmish , I'm just glad to see good old legit rivalries back in the NBA. I was getting tired of the league where all the players are best friends with the opposing players off the court and don't really go at each other on the court. When a team beats you on your own home floor and you are supposed to have title aspirations, you should be very angry instead of hanging out with them right afterwards like it was a pickup game in your backyard. This is more like it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 10:04:21 AM by hpantazo »

« Reply #908 on: December 10, 2022, 11:00:48 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I have no problem with what Zion did.

If you ask me, some of that Suns team is very unlikeable to begin with, especially CP3. I mean, everyone knew the game was over, why did CP3 go for a stat-padding layup himself? And he has a history of stat-padding in these situations too.

Booker to me also comes across as a punk. Maybe a little strong, but I was so glad to see Doncic and the Mavs wipe the smirks off their face after last year's Game 5 in the Mavs-Suns series when they made those post-game comments.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #909 on: December 10, 2022, 11:03:28 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
C’s are playing the best ball in the league but can’t shake the Bucks in the standings. They have escaped some losses against mediocre teams to do so.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 11:16:51 AM by CelticSooner »

« Reply #910 on: December 10, 2022, 11:04:04 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Like I said somewhere else, the Suns cannot complain after that Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. they pulled during the IT years. The game was over but they delayed the game so much so booker can get his 70

« Reply #911 on: December 10, 2022, 12:03:46 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Zion 360 dunk at the end of the Suns game. A little skirmish ensues between the two teams.

and they play again tomorrow!

« Reply #912 on: December 10, 2022, 12:17:00 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Utah is upset at Rudy Gobert for scoring at the end of a decided game last night too.  The fans pay to watch 48 minutes of basketball.  Guys should just play defense until the time runs out and stop whining.

« Reply #913 on: December 10, 2022, 12:18:20 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I can only hope this C’s team isn’t getting too ahead of themselves.

After all this domination talk, Milwaukee are only 1.5 games behind, and Middleton has only recently returned.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #914 on: December 10, 2022, 12:24:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

The Suns got mad because Zion punked them at the end but none of them actually tried to get back and defend  ;D

NEW ORLEANS -- Pelicans forward Zion Williamson took two dribbles toward the rim and pulled off a 360 windmill dunk to end Friday night's game against the Phoenix Suns in style.

Some Suns players took exception to Williamson's slam, which happened with 1.9 seconds left to put the Pelicans up by double-digits. As the clock expired in New Orleans' 128-117 win, tempers flared as both benches cleared onto the court.

Pelicans guard Jose Alvarado, Suns guards Cameron Payne and Chris Paul and coaching staffs from both teams met near center court before security helped to separate both teams.

"The game was pretty much over and they just kept playing," Payne said. "I felt like there was just no sportsmanship and we don't really like that. We do the right thing. I felt like they should've done the right thing and they didn't. We didn't take it well and we don't like to lose either. The game was over, no shot clock. They can hold the ball."

Pelicans guard CJ McCollum, when asked about Payne's postgame remarks, gave a simple answer.

"They got to get back on defense if they don't want us to dunk the ball," McCollum said. "Get back on defense."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35222545/zion-williamson-says-playoff-loss-suns-played-part-late-dunk

These are the types of things that I have zero sympathy for. If it was Duke or Gonzaga doing it to some Division III college that they are beating by a hundred that's one thing. But these are professional basketball players making millions. Don't expect the other team to give up just because you decide you've had enough. You want respect? Go and earn it.

The reason this is bad is not because of sportsmanship or anything like that really in my opinion. It’s cause the other team is really upset already from losing. You trying to get them more upset by running up the score etc, you are extending a game with angry people. You are risking injuries, fights etc. there just isn’t a lot of upside. In this instance it didn’t technically extend the game but I have seen plenty of games, especially in college, where an event like this causes the opposing coach to call a timeout and some hard fouls happen. There was an arizona state game that this recently occurred in.