Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 294172 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #975 on: December 14, 2022, 09:42:07 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Per league sources, the Pistons have answered calls and had discussions about Bey, the third-year forward who has had an up-and-down season. The sense I’ve received when talking to people around the league is that the 23-year-old may be gettable at the right price, though the “right price” is unclear.
Source: James L. Edwards III @ The Athletic

I'd be curious what the "right price" is, as well.  I think Bey would be interesting as a wing off the bench.  He's also got a reasonable salary.

I think if Celtics fans watched Bey vs. the rest of the NBA instead of just vs. the Celtics, we would be less interested in him.  He's Detroit's version of Terrance Ross for us -- he's shot 54% from 3 for his career against Boston, and 34.5% from 3 against the rest of the NBA.

Don't get me wrong, he's better than Justin Jackson, and should earn a spot at the back of the rotation, but he'd probably not live up to our expectations.

« Reply #976 on: December 14, 2022, 12:43:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Per league sources, the Pistons have answered calls and had discussions about Bey, the third-year forward who has had an up-and-down season. The sense I’ve received when talking to people around the league is that the 23-year-old may be gettable at the right price, though the “right price” is unclear.
Source: James L. Edwards III @ The Athletic

I'd be curious what the "right price" is, as well.  I think Bey would be interesting as a wing off the bench.  He's also got a reasonable salary.

I think if Celtics fans watched Bey vs. the rest of the NBA instead of just vs. the Celtics, we would be less interested in him.  He's Detroit's version of Terrance Ross for us -- he's shot 54% from 3 for his career against Boston, and 34.5% from 3 against the rest of the NBA.

Don't get me wrong, he's better than Justin Jackson, and should earn a spot at the back of the rotation, but he'd probably not live up to our expectations.

Yes, I suspect what Detroit wants is more than it would make sense to pay.  But, I do like him him independent of how he performs against us.  Of course, I also liked Nesmith a lot.

Bey's got a 6'11" wingspan, is a good FT shooter, and shot 38% from 3PT as a rookie.  There's still some potential there.  I wouldn't label him as Ross quite yet.  I will admit that I'm not sure if he'd earn minutes over Hauser at this point.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #977 on: December 14, 2022, 01:01:34 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
I would take Bey over Hauser anyday
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #978 on: December 14, 2022, 02:09:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The NBA and its players' union have agreed to extend the deadline to give notice of plans to opt out of the collective bargaining agreement to Feb. 8, the sides announced in a joint statement Wednesday.

Prior to Wednesday's agreement, the opt-out deadline had been Thursday. Now it falls one day before this season's trade deadline.

The league and union said in their statement that they are making "ongoing efforts to reach a new agreement." The seven-year CBA would expire after the 2023-24 season, but if either side exercises the opt-out, the agreement would end June 30, putting the NBA at risk of a possible work stoppage.

Sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski last week that the NBA is pursuing the implementation of an upper spending limit that would replace the luxury tax with a hard limit that teams could not exceed to pay salaries. The league's effort is in response to large-market contenders like the Golden State Warriors, Brooklyn Nets and LA Clippers running up massive payrolls and luxury tax penalties, according to Wojnarowski.

So far, the talks are proceeding: Without great animus. The sides just agreed to push back a deadline for a new collective bargaining deal from December to February. Largely in secret. The sides have vowed to clamp down on leaks, and thus far it seems to be working because even teams that don’t have representation on the negotiating committee have been kept at a distance so far, sources told ESPN. One item that appears to be an issue are the rules allowing rich teams to continue a wild spending spree that has dwarfed their midsized rivals, multiple sources told ESPN. – via Brian Windhorst @ ESPN

I just don't see the players agreeing to a hard cap without a major lockout.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #979 on: December 14, 2022, 02:36:59 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
The NBA and its players' union have agreed to extend the deadline to give notice of plans to opt out of the collective bargaining agreement to Feb. 8, the sides announced in a joint statement Wednesday.

Prior to Wednesday's agreement, the opt-out deadline had been Thursday. Now it falls one day before this season's trade deadline.

The league and union said in their statement that they are making "ongoing efforts to reach a new agreement." The seven-year CBA would expire after the 2023-24 season, but if either side exercises the opt-out, the agreement would end June 30, putting the NBA at risk of a possible work stoppage.

Sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski last week that the NBA is pursuing the implementation of an upper spending limit that would replace the luxury tax with a hard limit that teams could not exceed to pay salaries. The league's effort is in response to large-market contenders like the Golden State Warriors, Brooklyn Nets and LA Clippers running up massive payrolls and luxury tax penalties, according to Wojnarowski.

So far, the talks are proceeding: Without great animus. The sides just agreed to push back a deadline for a new collective bargaining deal from December to February. Largely in secret. The sides have vowed to clamp down on leaks, and thus far it seems to be working because even teams that don’t have representation on the negotiating committee have been kept at a distance so far, sources told ESPN. One item that appears to be an issue are the rules allowing rich teams to continue a wild spending spree that has dwarfed their midsized rivals, multiple sources told ESPN. – via Brian Windhorst @ ESPN

Maybe they would with a sizable increase in their share of BRI, but that’s about it.

I also think this gets pushed back one more time.  I believe February will be in the middle of the exclusive negotiating window Turner and ESPN have for the media rights deals.  My gut says both sides wait to see if the media rights are close to being finalized before finishing a CBA.

« Reply #980 on: December 14, 2022, 03:04:08 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
How high a limit are they talking?  Like are they looking at 180 million for the active cap, which would just be 3 teams (Clippers, Warriors, Nets).  Or are they looking at a much smaller number?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #981 on: December 14, 2022, 03:09:57 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
How high a limit are they talking?  Like are they looking at 180 million for the active cap, which would just be 3 teams (Clippers, Warriors, Nets).  Or are they looking at a much smaller number?

Who knows, but my guess is a proposal would raise the standard cap and luxury tax line a little while making the apron the ceiling.  If they're going to keep the BRI split where it is, the other thresholds would need to move a little to make up for the loss of salary at the top.

« Reply #982 on: December 14, 2022, 07:26:08 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Really early, but for fun I've already made my All Star selections.

WEST
Luka Doncic (Dallas Mavericks), Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors), Nikola Jokic (Denver Nuggets), Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (Oklahoma City Thunder), Ja Morant (Memphis Grizzlies), Devin Booker (Phoenix Suns), De'Aaron Fox (Sacramento Kings), Anthony Davis (Los Angeles Lakers), Paul George (Los Angeles Clippers), Desmond Bane (Memphis Grizzlies), Domantas Sabonis (Sacramento Kings), Lauri Markkanen (Utah Jazz)

EAST
Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics), Joel Embiid (Philadelphia 76ers), Donovan Mitchell (Cleveland Cavaliers), Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks), Kevin Durant (Brooklyn Nets), Pascal Siakam (Toronto Raptors), Tyrese Haliburton (Indiana Pacers), James Harden (Philadelphia 76ers), Kristaps Porzingis (Washington Wizards), Jimmy Butler (Miami Heat), Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks), Dejounte Murray (Atlanta Hawks)

Coming back to my All Star selections. This was done after just 16 games and I got a lot of critism for my selections. Again, this is not what I think will happen but based on some regular and advanced stats. Now about 10 games later there have been some shifts using the exact same formula. The selections are again in order with a remark that if you believe Harden (13 games) and Lillard (15 games) haven't played enough games then their replacements would be Trae Young and LeBron James.

In: Williamson (NOP), Lillard (POR), Holiday (MIL), Brown (BOS)
Out: Fox (SAC), Bane (MEM), Lopez (MIL), Murray (ATL)

WEST
Luka Doncic (Dallas Mavericks), Nikola Jokic (Denver Nuggets), Anthony Davis (Los Angeles Lakers), Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors), Ja Morant (Memphis Grizzlies), Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (Oklahoma City Thunder), Zion Williamson (New Orleans Pelicans), Damian Lillard (Portland Trailblazers), Domantas Sabonis (Sacramento Kings), Devin Booker (Phoenix Suns), Paul George (Los Angeles Clippers), Lauri Markkanen (Utah Jazz)

EAST
Joel Embiid (Philadelphia 76ers), Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics), Kevin Durant (Brooklyn Nets), Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks), Donovan Mitchell (Cleveland Cavaliers), James Harden (Philadelphia 76ers), Pascal Siakam (Toronto Raptors), Tyrese Haliburton (Indiana Pacers), Jrue Holiday (Milwaukee Bucks), Jimmy Butler (Miami Heat), Kristaps Porzingis (Washington Wizards), Jaylen Brown (Boston Celtics)

« Reply #983 on: December 14, 2022, 09:13:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Alex Caruso just plays all out. The Lakers were really dumb to let him go.

« Reply #984 on: December 14, 2022, 09:40:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He is a career 6PPG guy in over 20MPG. He's 1% above average from 3 in that period too.

Sure, he plays good defence, tries hard and is a decent passer. But he doesn't do much of anything, is injury-prone, and has shown nearly 0 progression his entire time in the NBA. Of all the guys the Lakers have let go, he is the least [dang]ing.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #985 on: December 14, 2022, 09:55:12 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487

Maybe they would with a sizable increase in their share of BRI, but that’s about it.

I also think this gets pushed back one more time.  I believe February will be in the middle of the exclusive negotiating window Turner and ESPN have for the media rights deals.  My gut says both sides wait to see if the media rights are close to being finalized before finishing a CBA.

Would they grandfather teams like the C's who are just recently approaching that limit? We built this roster with the expectation we could resign our guys

« Reply #986 on: December 14, 2022, 10:06:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
He is a career 6PPG guy in over 20MPG. He's 1% above average from 3 in that period too.

Sure, he plays good defence, tries hard and is a decent passer. But he doesn't do much of anything, is injury-prone, and has shown nearly 0 progression his entire time in the NBA. Of all the guys the Lakers have let go, he is the least [dang]ing.

He's a hustle energy guy. Above average 3 point shooter. Almost 4 Asts a game at 3.8. I'd take him over Westbrook all day every day. Caruso is a pest on defense.

« Reply #987 on: December 14, 2022, 10:07:27 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

true, but he also wanted to stay and it would have just cost the Lakers money.  They didn't need the roster space, didn't need to move anyone else, they just got cheap.  That is why it is danging.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #988 on: December 14, 2022, 10:12:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

true, but he also wanted to stay and it would have just cost the Lakers money.  They didn't need the roster space, didn't need to move anyone else, they just got cheap.  That is why it is danging.

The Lakers had to play 5 guys into the ground against us they could've used Alex.

« Reply #989 on: December 15, 2022, 05:42:47 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
LeBron say, lakers listen..that’s why that’s the way they are now and future
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin