Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 293991 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #4050 on: June 16, 2023, 09:33:10 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I guess I was just under the impression that maxey was untouchable for them since they keep talking him up as "all-star potential"

But could be to up his value

« Reply #4051 on: June 16, 2023, 09:43:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I guess I was just under the impression that maxey was untouchable for them since they keep talking him up as "all-star potential"

But could be to up his value

Would you trade a guy with all-star potential for a guy that you think would put you over the top?  I would.

Something like this:

PHI trades:  Maxey, two #1s, Harden S&T

POR trades: Lillard

HOU trades:  protected #2

That would be the way that Philly adds a guy of Lillard's salary without having to move a key piece in addition to Maxey.

The question, then:  is Lillard better than Harden + Maxey + whoever they could add with those first rounders?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4052 on: June 16, 2023, 10:05:27 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Jordan selling the Hornets

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
8m
BREAKING: Michael Jordan is finalizing a sale of the Charlotte Hornets to a group led by Gabe Plotkin and Rick Schnall, ending his 13-year run as majority owner, league sources told ESPN on Friday.

« Reply #4053 on: June 16, 2023, 11:05:56 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Morant has been suspended for 25 games.

The NBA has suspended Memphis Grizzlies star Ja Morant for 25 games to start the 2023-2024 season due to conduct detrimental to the league, it was announced Friday.

The Grizzlies suspended Morant from team activities on May 14, pending league review, after a video on social media circulated showing the All-Star brandishing a firearm. The NBA suspended Morant for eight games following a similar incident in March, when he was seen on Instagram Live holding up a handgun while intoxicated at a Denver-area club.

"Ja Morant's decision to once again wield a firearm on social media is alarming and disconcerting given his similar conduct in March for which he was already suspended eight games," NBA commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement. "The potential for other young people to emulate Ja's conduct is particularly concerning. Under these circumstances, we believe a suspension of 25 games is appropriate and makes clear that engaging in reckless and irresponsible behavior with guns will not be tolerated.

ADVERTISEMENT

"For Ja, basketball needs to take a back seat at this time. Prior to his return to play, he will be required to formulate and fulfill a program with the league that directly addresses the circumstances that led him to repeat this destructive behavior."

The suspension will come with conditions for his return, the league said. Morant will be ineligible to participate in any public league or team activities, including preseason games, during the suspension.

The NBA's investigation into the incident has been completed for weeks, but Silver waited until the conclusion of the NBA Finals to announce the suspension because he did not want to distract from the league's championship series.

After the March incident, Morant enrolled in a Florida counseling facility -- to learn how to manage stress better, he later said -- before traveling to New York City to meet with Silver at the commissioner's office.

Silver elected to suspend Morant for eight games without pay due to conduct detrimental to the league -- a punishment that included six games the point guard had already missed -- and issued a stern statement calling Morant's conduct "irresponsible, reckless and potentially very dangerous."

"I think he understood that it wasn't about his words," Silver said during his news conference before Game 1 of the NBA Finals. "It was going to be about his future conduct.

"I guess in hindsight, I don't know. If it had been a 12-game suspension instead of an eight-game suspension, would that have mattered? I know it seemed based on precedent, and he's represented, and we want to be fair in terms of the league, it seemed appropriate at the time. That's all I can say. Maybe by definition to the extent we've all seen the video that it appears he's done it again, I guess you could say maybe not."

The Instagram Live video that emerged in May came from the account of Morant's best friend, Davonte Pack, who has been involved in several of Morant's off-court incidents that merited investigation from the league office.

Pack was banned from attending Grizzlies home games for a year following an investigation into a postgame confrontation with the Indiana Pacers' traveling party on Jan. 29, when a red laser was alleged to have been pointed out of an SUV in which Morant was traveling.

Silver said during his June 1 news conference at the Finals that factors he would weigh in determining the suspension included the "history of prior acts" as well as the "individual player's history" and the "serious of the conduct."

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4054 on: June 16, 2023, 11:19:41 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
25 games. Grizzlies drop to a middling/low-seed playoff team without him.

I don't think that will change him with all the program he's gonna go through, he'll act up again.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4055 on: June 16, 2023, 07:20:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Doc Rivers says it was ‘challenging’ coaching James Harden

“It was challenging. More because we were fighting two things, and not like visually fighting. James was so good at playing one way, and the way I believe you have to play to win, in some ways is different because it’s a lot of giving up the ball, moving the ball and coming back to the ball.”

You could see it. And then there was talk about James wanting to get back to "playing like himself" next season after Philly got eliminated.

Doc has faults, but he's right in this regard. Philly can't run a Harden-centric offense with Embiid in the mix. And then you have Maxey who is developing. It makes no sense.
Philly's only chance of beating us was when Harden was being aggressive with his shot-making. If Doc is the one who pushed him towards that pass at all costs style we saw, then he is wrong.

I doubt in the games Harden had 12 points it was because Doc told him to stop scoring and being aggressive. he's just not "that guy" anymore that he was in Houston. He's 34....alot of Stars at that age you will see them have "throwback" games but can't keep up that level.

We saw it with Pierce/Garnett in their final year here in the playoffs. They had games where it looked like garnett of old. but then his age showed.

if sixers want to build an offense around a 34 year old harden taking 20 shots a game i'm all for it. because that team will not win. But then again, they wont beat the celtics with Embiid taking 30 shots and flopping all over the floor and being exhausted by the 4th quarter.

sixers are in a tough spot IMO. They are good enough to be a top 3 team in the east, but not good enough to beat Milwaukee/Celtics IMO. and they don't have much room to improve especially if Harden leaves. Unless they can trick some team into taking Harris.
I'm not so sure. To me it looked like an entirely mental thing. Like he wasn't sure whether he should be trying to score or trying to facilitate. I can't think of any reason he'd go from a 23FGA game where he scored 42 to an 8FGA where he scored 17, in the space of 48 hours.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4056 on: June 16, 2023, 07:41:20 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Sheesh LeGone with his tweet basically jabbing at Michael Malone's comments during the parade.

No one cares LeBron, enjoy yourself in Europe lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4057 on: June 16, 2023, 11:56:04 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Sheesh LeGone with his tweet basically jabbing at Michael Malone's comments during the parade.

No one cares LeBron, enjoy yourself in Europe lol

Man I hope Denver sweeps them again next season lol!

« Reply #4058 on: June 17, 2023, 08:29:27 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Doc Rivers says it was ‘challenging’ coaching James Harden

“It was challenging. More because we were fighting two things, and not like visually fighting. James was so good at playing one way, and the way I believe you have to play to win, in some ways is different because it’s a lot of giving up the ball, moving the ball and coming back to the ball.”

You could see it. And then there was talk about James wanting to get back to "playing like himself" next season after Philly got eliminated.

Doc has faults, but he's right in this regard. Philly can't run a Harden-centric offense with Embiid in the mix. And then you have Maxey who is developing. It makes no sense.
Philly's only chance of beating us was when Harden was being aggressive with his shot-making. If Doc is the one who pushed him towards that pass at all costs style we saw, then he is wrong.

I doubt in the games Harden had 12 points it was because Doc told him to stop scoring and being aggressive. he's just not "that guy" anymore that he was in Houston. He's 34....alot of Stars at that age you will see them have "throwback" games but can't keep up that level.

We saw it with Pierce/Garnett in their final year here in the playoffs. They had games where it looked like garnett of old. but then his age showed.

if sixers want to build an offense around a 34 year old harden taking 20 shots a game i'm all for it. because that team will not win. But then again, they wont beat the celtics with Embiid taking 30 shots and flopping all over the floor and being exhausted by the 4th quarter.

sixers are in a tough spot IMO. They are good enough to be a top 3 team in the east, but not good enough to beat Milwaukee/Celtics IMO. and they don't have much room to improve especially if Harden leaves. Unless they can trick some team into taking Harris.
I'm not so sure. To me it looked like an entirely mental thing. Like he wasn't sure whether he should be trying to score or trying to facilitate. I can't think of any reason he'd go from a 23FGA game where he scored 42 to an 8FGA where he scored 17, in the space of 48 hours.

It could be. Harden is a mentally weak player IMO. Theres a reason his houston teams ended up fizzling out in the playoffs. and how he wants to go back to Houston...

« Reply #4059 on: June 27, 2023, 12:07:20 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Stein reporting lakers will match all offers for reaves. If true, is this a good move? I would not want to be offering him herro money or more. What do others think?

« Reply #4060 on: June 27, 2023, 12:21:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Stein reporting lakers will match all offers for reaves. If true, is this a good move? I would not want to be offering him herro money or more. What do others think?
I see him as a Bojan Bogdanovic type player. Wouldn’t want to give him more than $18-20m a season, but the LA hype tax is real
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4061 on: June 27, 2023, 12:24:27 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I think a team with cap space should give Reaves a big offer and see what happens.  I believe since he’s an early Bird restricted free agent, someone could throw a mean poison pill contract at the Lakers.  Give him something like 4 years, $92 million and the Lakers would have to pay him around $34 million in years 3 and 4.