Author Topic: Dollhouse (TV Show)  (Read 8729 times)

Dollhouse (TV Show)
« on: February 14, 2009, 04:07:48 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Well new show by Joss Wheddon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Serenity) started last night and I enjoyed it a lot. It started a bit slow, and could be a bit confusing, but as the episode went along everything started to fall into place. There's a variety of interesting characters and there's surely a serialized and episodic nature to this series. There are various interesting subplots that should carry the series through the season/seasons that should make this series worthwhile and good. Oh and I forgot, there was an awesome white dress... I'll leave it at that.

Any of you watched it yet? You can watch it here if you haven't:
http://www.hulu.com/dollhouse

The drama, stars Dushku as Echo, a member of a group of men and women who are imprinted with different personalities for different assignments. In between tasks they are mind-wiped, living like children in Dollhouse, a futuristic dorm/lab. A group of people, known as "Actives" (or "Dolls"), have had their personalities wiped clean so they can be imprinted with any number of new personas and hired out for particular jobs, crimes, fantasies and occasional good deeds. When not imprinted, the Actives live, childlike and unremembering, in a hidden facility nicknamed "The Dollhouse". Although the Actives are ostensibly volunteers, the operation is highly illegal, and under constant threat from a determined federal agent on one end and an insane rogue Active on the other. The story hinges around a greater and more subtle threat: Echo, a female Active, begins, in her mind-wiped state, to become self-aware.

Some articles of interest:
http://www.tv.com/story/10957.html
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:15:39 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

Re: Dollhouse (TV Show)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Can I haz Eliza Dushku?
God bless and good night!

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 04:27:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I saw it, and fresh of my viewing of Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog, I was ready to be impressed.

I was impressed to a certain degree, but I have a lot of questions.

1) She was taken. Why again? She did something wrong? Did she get kidnapped? Do something illegal then come to find this was the only way out?

2) So was her entire previous identity taken?

3) What happens when her five years are up?

Some observations/things I see coming:

1) Her handler (Jada Pinkett's husband in "the matrix" series) is going to try to bust her out because of a huge crisis of conscience or something.

2) If her personality really was destroyed, this series kinda stinks, because there is no emotional continuation from exciting identity to exciting identity. Since Eliza is the big lead, there has to be more conflict there. So, her personality/previous memories will begin to resurface, probably in dreams or something.

3) I like that there is some murderous guy 'coming to get her' but who were the people he murdered?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 07:28:03 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I saw it, and fresh of my viewing of Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog, I was ready to be impressed.

I was impressed to a certain degree, but I have a lot of questions.

1) She was taken. Why again? She did something wrong? Did she get kidnapped? Do something illegal then come to find this was the only way out?

2) So was her entire previous identity taken?

3) What happens when her five years are up?

Some observations/things I see coming:

1) Her handler (Jada Pinkett's husband in "the matrix" series) is going to try to bust her out because of a huge crisis of conscience or something.

2) If her personality really was destroyed, this series kinda stinks, because there is no emotional continuation from exciting identity to exciting identity. Since Eliza is the big lead, there has to be more conflict there. So, her personality/previous memories will begin to resurface, probably in dreams or something.

3) I like that there is some murderous guy 'coming to get her' but who were the people he murdered?

Well, all those questions are what will be making watching this show worthwhile. Don't want all those questions answered at the moment.

I don't think her entire previous identity was taken. I would think that there's a database and that they can always implant it on her once again, the same way they can implant personalities from other people that really existed.

As you say, her memories and past experiences wil start to resurface, it's already happening.

No clue who the people who were murdered where, maybe her family? Is it possible that he's a rogue doll, the one insinuated at the end of the episode called Alpha?

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:15:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
of the questions I asked, many of them have begun to be answered.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Yep. Seems like Echo is going down the same path as Alpha did. Interesting that she wasn't killed by Alpha, and he has an obsession with her. Do you think they fought and Alpha got his ass kicked by Echo or something?

I like that the show is not shying away from the violence.

On a different note, the ratings were down this week. Hopefully they improve one the next one.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Oh come on, ratings don't matter. Just name one awesome Joss Whedon show that was canceled prematurely due to ratings.

Wait what? Firefly?...Yeah I hope the ratings peak next week too.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
yeah i've seen the first 2 of these and the best part is the good looking women.  it's not funny, very little suspense.  like a (very) weak x-files type plot.  I don't know if it was a bad idea for a plot, or if there just isn't much depth.  i also find it very predictable.  when you can tell what's going to happen 2 episodes in, that's not good.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:31:01 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
This is the worst Whedon cast, of all time.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 01:34:31 PM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
i like when they group shower?  also the previews for next week is like she's a stripper or dancer or something, so it looks like it has potential.

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 01:37:06 PM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 01:48:34 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I don't mind the cast, but as far as shows I'd like to see made by whedon this doesn't rank very high.

I mean I like the show, I will keep watching it (on Hulu), but its not my perfect idea of a show.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 02:36:07 PM »

Offline vw pirate

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9

It seems to be lacking the back and forth Dialouge that Whedon is so good at.  Is he going in a different direction trying not to get cancled?

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 02:46:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Let's wait till the series progresses a bit, that Echo develops as a real character and we'll see how it goes. The Battlestar Galactica detective has shown flashes of that type of dialogue you're missing.

The characters at the moment seem quie dull, mainly because they've gone withe mysterious angle. But I think as we get introduced more and more indepth with the characters, the dialogue will improve... once they come out of their "shell".

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 02:53:38 PM »

Offline vw pirate

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
your probably right.  I Like the Battlestar Dectective. Did you notice one of the other agents was in Battlestar as well?