Author Topic: 2020 Red Sox Thread  (Read 81631 times)

2020 Red Sox Thread
« on: March 22, 2019, 03:49:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thought it time to start this year's thread. Lots to talk about to start this season:

- Mike Trout extends out 12 years at $430 million. So how much does that make Betts worth. He doesn't reach free agency for 2 years and made it clear he will not be giving Boston a discount. If he has two more awesome years will he become the league's first half billion dollar man?

- The bullpen stinks. They didn't sign a closer. Thornburg, Brasier and Barnes are not filling me with great confidence that the Sox don't need a real life proven closer.

- Chris Sale extends out 5 more years at $30 million per year. Good to see that happen and they didn't Jon Lester him. Now  Cora just has to use Sale properly so he is good in the 2nd half and playoffs every year for the next 6 years.

- Opening day next week. Let's go Red Sox.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 03:31:52 PM by Redz »

Re: 2019 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 04:14:50 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Thanks for starting this thread, Nick. TP.

- I guess Trout really likes playing in Anaheim, because he could've gotten a good deal more money elsewhere. But Orange County has some of the best weather in the country.

- I agree that the bullpen needs significant help at this point. I'm fine with bringing Kimbrel back for a reasonable price, but he's probably gonna cost more than what I'd want to see him get paid. Seems like the Sox are banking on Thornburg finally getting right. Yeah, I'm not impressed with their pen right now.

- Awesome news about Sale. Hopefully his body holds up.

- I'm really glad they re-signed Eovaldi. Hopefully he performs comparable to how he did in the postseason.

- Betts is gonna cost a boatload (or several duck boat loads!), but if he performs at his current level for another two years, I hope the Sox shell out whatever it takes to keep him—he's probably the second-best player in all of baseball right now.

- I really wish they'd get a catcher who can hit well.

- I think Devers could have a breakout season.

I'm looking forward to Opening Day!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 04:28:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

- I guess Trout really likes playing in Anaheim, because he could've gotten a good deal more money elsewhere. But Orange County has some of the best weather in the country.

- I agree that the bullpen needs significant help at this point. I'm fine with bringing Kimbrel back for a reasonable price, but he's probably gonna cost more than what I'd want to see him get paid. Seems like the Sox are banking on Thornburg finally getting right. Yeah, I'm not impressed with their pen right now.

- I'm really glad they re-signed Eovaldi. Hopefully he performs comparable to how he did in the postseason.

- Betts is gonna cost a boatload (or several duck boat loads!), but if he performs at his current level for another two years, I hope the Sox shell out whatever it takes to keep him—he's probably the second-best player in all of baseball right now.

TP back atcha and agree about Devers.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 09:56:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I was looking forward to a 2019 Sox thread. I am pretty psyched to see the Sox defend their crown and hopefully win another one. It will be alot tougher this year and think the Astros and Yankees will be better than last year. Hopefully we can still win the division as it creates such an easier path to the World Series (as we saw last year.)

I agree that Sale's extension is good news. We basically have our starting rotation locked down for the next 4-5 years with Sale, Price, Eovaldi and ERodriguez. Porcello may be gone after this year. Regardless, I think we have one of the best rotations in baseball.

I think the offense will continue to hit. The bullpen is definitely a huge concern and don't understand why Dombrowski didn't acquire another reliever (such as Robertson, Familia, Soria, etc.) It was clear they were ready to move on from Kimbrel.

Regardless, I am looking forward to Thursday night in Seattle.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 09:59:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I am as big of a Mookie fan as the next guy, but I am very torn on whether to the Sox should offer him what he wants which is likely a contract extension either right at or north of $400 million. That's alot of money for a number 1 or number 2 hitter in the lineup as opposed to a clean-up hitter like Trout, Harper and Machado (not that Harper or Machado deserved what they got.)

My issue is why tie so much money into one player when for that much money, you can acquire 2-3 really good players.

Regardless, this could be the Sox last shot at another World Series before free agency starts affecting the roster so let's enjoy the ride.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 11:15:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Welp, the season opener certainly could've gone alot better.

I sure hope there's nothing wrong with Sale's shoulder, otherwise it could be a long season.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 11:23:25 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Boston needs another championship soon. The drought has been too long!!

Hope the Red Sox can bring one home this year.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 11:51:58 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Boston needs another championship soon. The drought has been too long!!

Hope the Red Sox can bring one home this year.

It would be nice to see the Sox repeat. However, baseball is the toughest sport to go back to back.

See how it plays out.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 12:31:18 AM »

• Satch Sanders
Short of injuries, that was pretty much the worst possible start to the season.

They say it’s only one game … hopefully I don’t have to say that 75+ times this season.

It really could be a bad campaign for the bullpen, which really doesn’t have much to work with. For the life of me, I don't know why Dombrowski felt fine with not getting relief help this offseason.

Hopefully the rotation is really good. And hopefully the offense doesn’t stay in singles-mode for too long.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 12:50:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't know why Dombrowski felt fine with not getting relief help this offseason.

It’s really bizarre to me.  They replaced Kelly and Kimbrel with nobody.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 12:59:32 AM »

• Satch Sanders
I don't know why Dombrowski felt fine with not getting relief help this offseason.

And they actually re-signed Hembree. *facepalm*

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 01:52:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
From the MLB: Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox on their historic 2018 World Series Championship. So go out their Boston and defend your title!!! Yay!!!!

Oh, by the way you start off on an 11 games in 11days west coast trip. Good luck with that whole "getting off to a fast start" thing!

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 10:41:56 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

They chose not to bring back Kimbrel and/or sign other elite names to stay under the 246M luxury tax threshold. They already pay a luxury tax, but once you cross 246M, you pay a higher bracket % AND lose 10 spots in the Draft. They already took that penalty in 2018 and I think if you go over that threshold another year the $$$ goes up. So they paid 12M in luxury tax last year, and after this season (if they'd gone over 246M), they'll pay around 24M I think. Now though it's probably 20M since they didn't go over.

Right now their payroll is around 239M. There's about 7M that could go towards in-season trade acquisitions and such. But yeah, even outside the elite names (Kimbrel, Ottavino, Robertson, etc.), there were many good-great options to go after who went for cheap (Romo, Sipp, Wilson, etc.) yet they signed absolutely no one. That's perplexing. Most of those guys signed for less than 3M which we could have easily afforded even when trying to staying under 246M.

And as a result, Hembree and Thornburg are now 2 of our Top-4 relievers on the team!  ::) (ugh)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 10:59:30 AM »

• Satch Sanders
From the MLB: Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox on their historic 2018 World Series Championship. So go out their Boston and defend your title!!! Yay!!!!

Oh, by the way you start off on an 11 games in 11days west coast trip. Good luck with that whole "getting off to a fast start" thing!

I feel like the Sox could already be 3 or 4 games behind the Yankees just in the first two weeks of the season. That still leaves a ton of season to play, but as someone pointed out yesterday, of the Yankees' first 56 games, only 13 of them are against teams that were .500 or better last year. They could have a HUGE lead on Boston one-third of the way through the season, especially if the Sox bullpen continues to be this bad (and there really isn't reason to think it'll get much better).

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 11:14:05 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

They chose not to bring back Kimbrel and/or sign other elite names to stay under the 246M luxury tax threshold. They already pay a luxury tax, but once you cross 246M, you pay a higher bracket % AND lose 10 spots in the Draft. They already took that penalty in 2018 and I think if you go over that threshold another year the $$$ goes up. So they paid 12M in luxury tax last year, and after this season (if they'd gone over 246M), they'll pay around 24M I think. Now though it's probably 20M since they didn't go over.

Right now their payroll is around 239M. There's about 7M that could go towards in-season trade acquisitions and such. But yeah, even outside the elite names (Kimbrel, Ottavino, Robertson, etc.), there were many good-great options to go after who went for cheap (Romo, Sipp, Wilson, etc.) yet they signed absolutely no one. That's perplexing. Most of those guys signed for less than 3M which we could have easily afforded even when trying to staying under 246M.

And as a result, Hembree and Thornburg are now 2 of our Top-4 relievers on the team!  ::) (ugh)

Yeah, that totally befuddles me as well. I get the ramifications of exceeding the luxury tax (draft pick sliding 10 spots down, heavy tax penalties) but the Sox are also defending the World Series and have a golden opportunity to be the first team in almost 20 years to repeat.

So what if they exceed the luxury tax? If you continue to field a competitive team that can contend for a World Series on a yearly basis, you not only make up the money from being taxed, you're still probably going to turn a huge profit.

Winning brings fans to the ball park. Losing keeps them away. Something John Henry has never been able to comprehend.

Personally, I think David Robertson and Adam Ottavino were two guys the Sox should've taken a serious look at. Both guys came off successful seasons and Robertson preferred to pitch in the East coast because he lives in Rhode Island.

So, the Sox decided to sacrifice the bullpen and I am worried about Chris Sale and his drop in velocity (and the fact the Sox just tied him to a 5 year, $145 million extension.)

Hopefully the rails don't come off the track early into the season. And can Dombrowski PLEASE dump the Tyler Thornburg experiment, cut his losses and admit that was an awful trade (dealing Travis Shaw and 3 prospects, what a fiasco.)