Poll

Which C's will make Team USA’s 2019 FIBA World Cup roster? (pick up to 4)

Jaylen Brown
57 (20.7%)
Marcus Smart
52 (18.9%)
Jayson Tatum
81 (29.5%)
Kemba Walker
85 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: FIBA World Cup [USA vs. TUR: 9/3, 8:30 AM EST (ESPN+)]  (Read 108452 times)

Re: Poll: Which C's will make Team USA? [Scrimmage: 8/9, 10 PM EST (NBATV)]
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2019, 12:52:27 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Haven’t seen this latest scrimmage. Anyone have a link to highlights or anything?

Generally though, Tatum and Mitchell look primed to have all star campaigns this year.
- LilRip

« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2019, 12:57:49 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1160074646525317120?s=21

Haven’t seen this latest scrimmage. Anyone have a link to highlights or anything?

Generally though, Tatum and Mitchell look primed to have all star campaigns this year.

https://youtu.be/sBZT9ljOdfQ
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:57:06 AM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2019, 07:28:07 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Both Brown and Tatum look a little bigger.  That’s a good sign to help absorb contact as they hopefully drive to the hoop more.

« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2019, 09:17:28 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Everyone keeps talking about Mitchell. I guess I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. He looks exactly like he looked the last couple of seasons. Maybe my expectations are too high for him, but I haven't seen anything that says he is ready to take a serious leap as a player.

He's good. Good defender. Good shooter with some questionable shots. Explosive athleticism. Below average passer and distributor.

« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2019, 10:20:55 AM »

Offline CelticsCeltics

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Lowry and Smart most likely won’t play, the other three most likely to be cut are Joe Harris, PJ Tucker, and Mason Plumlee

The list of players who end up making the team in order of likelihood:

Kemba Walker
Donovan Mitchell
Jayson Tatum
De’Aaron Fox
Myles Turner
Khris Middleton
Harrison Barnes
Brook Lopez
Marvin Bagley
Derrick White
Kyle Kuzma
Jaylen Brown

« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2019, 10:27:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Jaylen never got into rhythm. First turnover caused by slip or trip over defender. Two early offensive fouls. One looked like an And One but ref saw it differently. It was just a bad night for him. But he’ll bounce back.

« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2019, 11:02:52 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
Lowry and Smart most likely won’t play, the other three most likely to be cut are Joe Harris, PJ Tucker, and Mason Plumlee

Kemba Walker
Donovan Mitchell
Jayson Tatum
De’Aaron Fox
Myles Turner
Khris Middleton
Harrison Barnes
Brook Lopez
Marvin Bagley
Derrick White
Kyle Kuzma
Jaylen Brown

I really think people are sleeping on Harris. He has played really well and you can tell the coaches like him.

Brown is above Barnes in this pecking order, but Lopez is probably above Brown.

« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2019, 12:22:53 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Kemba Walker
Donovan Mitchell
Jayson Tatum
De’Aaron Fox
Myles Turner
Khris Middleton
Harrison Barnes
Brook Lopez
Marvin Bagley
Derrick White
Kyle Kuzma
Jaylen Brown

I really think people are sleeping on Harris. He has played really well and you can tell the coaches like him.

Brown is above Barnes in this pecking order, but Lopez is probably above Brown.

Lopez looked so slow out there last night.  I don’t know if he is out of shape or what but he looked slow and old last night.

« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2019, 12:29:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Kemba Walker
Donovan Mitchell
Jayson Tatum
De’Aaron Fox
Myles Turner
Khris Middleton
Harrison Barnes
Brook Lopez
Marvin Bagley
Derrick White
Kyle Kuzma
Jaylen Brown

I highly doubt Brown would have started last night if he were the guy at the bottom of the list.

« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2019, 12:34:34 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Like summer league, it was tough for me to watch the game because of the announcers. Like summer league, they reminisce and talk about a bunch of crap, while rarely focusing on the action.

It's about the players and the game, guys (announcers), not just (and mainly, as you guys think) about the side crap!!!!

EDIT: I did DVR it, and while live, watched it without the sound after the first quarter.

« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2019, 12:53:06 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

Kemba Walker
Donovan Mitchell
Jayson Tatum
De’Aaron Fox
Myles Turner
Khris Middleton
Harrison Barnes
Brook Lopez
Marvin Bagley
Derrick White
Kyle Kuzma
Jaylen Brown

I highly doubt Brown would have started last night if he were the guy at the bottom of the list.

I second this. Brown also does a lot of little things with his athleticism to help the team.

Online Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Right now my choices would

Guards=Kemba, Fox, Mitchell, Harris
Wings=Brown, Tatum, Middelton, Barnes
Bigs=Collins, Turner, Lopez

Kuzma and Bagley are tied for the last big. Though I believe the team may go with Plumlee.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
International game is more physical. I don't see anyway Smart is not on this team if he's healthy.
ok fine

« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2019, 07:48:17 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1160074646525317120?s=21

https://youtu.be/sBZT9ljOdfQ

If Lowry doesn’t come back I think that leaves 1 spot between White and Smart to have a physical guard.  For me I think Kuzma is another cut.  Too 1 dimensional offensive player, not good enough 3 point shooter.  After Lopez and Turner I see 1 spot open between Plumlee and Bagley.  Bagley is obviously the higher upside guy, but as we play against experienced bigs like Gasol and Jokic maybe we want Plumlee for defense.

I think that would leave 1 more cut between Harris, Brown, Middleton, Tatum, Barnes, and Tucker.   I like Tucker’s defense and toughness at the 4 that the others don’t have, but he is the lowest upside guy. I like Harris’s fit as a SG off the bench, but Brown and Middleton can easily slide to SG, and provide more upside.  I think Barnes makes it because of his international experience.  This battle will be interesting.

« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2019, 07:56:17 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
If Lowry doesn’t come back I think that leaves 1 spot between White and Smart to have a physical guard.  For me I think Kuzma is another cut.  Too 1 dimensional offensive player, not good enough 3 point shooter.  After Lopez and Turner I see 1 spot open between Plumlee and Bagley.  Bagley is obviously the higher upside guy, but as we play against experienced bigs like Gasol and Jokic maybe we want Plumlee for defense.

I think that would leave 1 more cut between Harris, Brown, Middleton, Tatum, Barnes, and Tucker.   I like Tucker’s defense and toughness at the 4 that the others don’t have, but he is the lowest upside guy. I like Harris’s fit as a SG off the bench, but Brown and Middleton can easily slide to SG, and provide more upside.  I think Barnes makes it because of his international experience.  This battle will be interesting.

Unless Barnes shows more, I think he is going to get cut. Pop just cut Young who has just as much international experience as Barnes. He showed that doesn't matter as much. I do like Barnes' defense as a small-ball four though.

I agree that Kuzma is a cut. He keeps missing defensive assignments and will likely be abused inside.

I honestly think all four of the bigs are pretty close right now. From what I've seen, Turner's defense is more of a legend than reality right now. Lopez is better positionally on defense, but looks pretty slow and ineffective as a rebounder and offensive player. Plumlee has athleticism and can pass, but has been really inconsistent. Bagley might have actually outperformed all the other guys so far, but he is young and his defensive IQ is lower. I wouldn't be surprised if Pop brought all four on the Team and cut Kuzma and Barnes.

I think Smart will be cut, or rather will be given the opportunity to withdraw due to injury.