Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 179442 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2008, 09:13:12 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
If you like Science Fiction, the two best writers in the last 25 years, IMHO, are C.J. Cherryh and Greg Bear. Cherryh's "Faded Sun" trilogy is a masterpiece, and so is Bear's "Moving Mars."

I would recommend anything by Cherryh.  Her "Morgaine" trilogy (which became a tetralogy with the release of "Exile's Gate") rivals Lord of the Rings and the Chanur novels and "Serpent's Reach" are space opera at its best.

And then there are Downbelow Station and Cyteen, for which she won Hugo awards.   

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 09:57:46 AM by Brickowski »

« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2008, 10:23:30 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I don't know if I'll ever get into reading some Star Wars, even though I have some interest in it. If I start reading the Star Wars universe, I would need to start reading from the beginning (the beginning for me is probably after Episode 6, X-Wing series maybe?), and read pretty much anything that is considered canon in the appropiate order.  At the moment it seems too much for me, and it'll probably be a pain in the ass to figure out what to read when and it what order, although wikipedia has a pretty good list on how things should go about. We'll see.

following episode 6, there is a ton of great reads.  the storylines of luke skywalker and mara jade marrying and having kids, luke rebuilding the jedi order, etc.  also han and leia marrying and having kids, one of which becomes a sith lord, etc.

also when it comes to star wars....forget wikipedia.  use wookiepedia, it has EVERYTHING!

« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2008, 04:29:40 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I saw that someone recommended The Lies of Locke Lamora earlier in the thread. Well, I read some info on it and it convinced me, I'm going to give it a try. Bought the two books that are out... they better be good, or I'm gonna make you pay for it.

« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2009, 01:02:59 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
An old book, but a darn good one:

I got a compilation of the works of Dashel Hammet (sp?)...he wrote the maltese falcon, basically the father of the hardboiled detective story.

I just got done "Red Harvest", a 137 page masterpiece. He uses local color and his experience as a Pinkerton in the late 19th century to paint a picture of a world that is amazing. after reading this work, I realize Im far from the first. Dozens upon dozens of writers have used his concept of the anti-hero detective (seriously, find this work then watch bladerunner)

Just a sample

The old man flung the covers back from his legs and started to get out of bed. Then, he thought better of it and raised his red face and roared:
  "Stanley!"
  The door opened to let the secretary glide in.
  "Throw this (schmuck) out!" his master ordered, waving a fist at me.
  The secretary turned to me, I shook my head and suggested:
  "Better get help."

I read that line like six times, it was so awesome. I laughed at how outlandish it was but Hammett paints such a picture of his guy (who remains nameless the ENTIRE novel. he's just known as "the continental detective"), that its more weird because it seems totally authentic this guy saying it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2009, 04:14:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I saw that someone recommended The Lies of Locke Lamora earlier in the thread. Well, I read some info on it and it convinced me, I'm going to give it a try. Bought the two books that are out... they better be good, or I'm gonna make you pay for it.

Well, just finished reading Red Seas Under Red Skies, which is the second installment of the Gentlemen Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.s series.

About the Lies of Locke Lamora, I found the first introduction very good... but then I found it very hard to get into when their first scheme starts to develop. I stopped reading the book at that point, and went and read something else. After some months, I gave it a chance once again, and was glad I did. If only I had read one more chapter back then, but the book becomes quite good. I really like the vulgar dialogue, it can get funny at times... the action is great, and I love the violence and all the blood shed.

Anyone has news of when book 3 should come out? I had heard Spring of 2009, but haven't found much information on it.

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Reading a pretty good book on popular economics called "More sex is safer sex" - basically makes us look at various problems in society through a different lens.  The author Stephen Landsburg makes some good arguments, and even if you don't agree with everything, it makes you think
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2009, 04:49:06 PM »

Offline WW1MR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
These books are not for everyone but you can download the first for free off the internet, so it doesn't hurt to check it out, if your not interested ... move on, no big deal.

Twilight of the Modern Word
http://wolf.readinglitho.co.uk/downloads/Twilight_of_Modern_World.pdf

And the one I'd recommend:
Crash Course
-read 2 chapters for free online, also download-able @:
http://www.preparingforpeakoil.com/

-WW1MR
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you..." (R. Kipling)

« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
I do not know if this book has been recommended in the previous 7 pages of posts, sorry if it has - but I recently read "freakonomics" and seeing how many csblog users love interesting applications of statistical analysis I would think those same "analytical" celtsblog users would really like this book.

« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2009, 06:04:04 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm halfway through "Loose Balls," about the ABA. Hilarious.

« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2009, 06:20:27 PM »

Offline GaBerkowitz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Im reading "The Breaks of the Game" by David Halberstam.  It's about the Portland Trailblazers from 1978-79 its really interesting so far.

« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2009, 08:41:11 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I do not know if this book has been recommended in the previous 7 pages of posts, sorry if it has - but I recently read "freakonomics" and seeing how many csblog users love interesting applications of statistical analysis I would think those same "analytical" celtsblog users would really like this book.

I've read that and its corollary, Freedomnomics... the thing about economists is they rarely agree, its why Harry Truman once said he'd like to have a one armed economist, so he couldn't say on the other hand
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2009, 09:52:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I just read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy (No country for old men), and it was pretty awesome. Dark? Sure but still really awesome. Its a great little microscopic look at humanity and the concept of death.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2009, 10:00:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
About a year ago someone recommended the Song of Ice & Fire series by George martin on here.  I'm about 2500 pages into it (3rd book).  I've been pecking away at for months now.  Really enjoying the journey.  The guy has an amazing brain.  I have a fourth book in the series rady to go.  martin's working on the 5th in the series now, and it appears there will be 7, when all is said and done.  Seven is very symbollic in the series, so it would make some sense if he cuts it off at 7.
Yup

« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2009, 10:21:26 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'm halfway through "Loose Balls," about the ABA. Hilarious.

Truly one of the finest sports books ever written. Terry Pluto writes great stuff.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2009, 01:26:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
About a year ago someone recommended the Song of Ice & Fire series by George martin on here.  I'm about 2500 pages into it (3rd book).  I've been pecking away at for months now.  Really enjoying the journey.  The guy has an amazing brain.  I have a fourth book in the series rady to go.  martin's working on the 5th in the series now, and it appears there will be 7, when all is said and done.  Seven is very symbollic in the series, so it would make some sense if he cuts it off at 7.
I've been waiting for that 5th book to come out for going on 3+ years now. I've since read all the books over again and think I might have to do it again just to remember how the storyline was going.