Author Topic: Woj: Jrue to Celtics  (Read 55237 times)

Moranis, CelticsWhat35, tazzmaniac, Roy H., SparzWizard, NJCeltsFan and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Woj: Jrue to Celtics
« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2023, 02:40:43 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
Obviously Brogdon wasn't happy. Hate losing Rob but he always gets hurt.

Yeah, it does feel like that was a part of this deal. They paid a heavy price for Jrue. Brogdon who was a 6th man of the year and a legit 17-20ppg 6-7apg guy as a starting PG, Timelord who is a good starting big man with injury issues, two first round picks including an unprotected one far off into the future (2029).

That is a huge price to pay for a 33yr old guard who has choked in the playoffs on a routine basis.

Why give up so much if you are not concerned about how unhappy Brogdon is behind the scenes?

Wait? Holiday choked in the playoffs? This can't be what you are saying. He averaged 18 points ppg without giannis last playoffs. Bucks don't win a title without him. Holiday is a fantastic guard.

His shooting percentages in the playoffs make Smart look like a sharpshooter.

The definition of an inefficient volume scorer -- in the playoffs over each of his 3 seasons in Milwaukee.

I mean you weren't happy with the way things were last season. Weren't happy with the way the offseason went. Now you are not happy with Brad going all in. What exactly do you want them to do?

Bump. I'd like to see Who answer this question. Criticizing without alternatives is just complaining, and gets boring.

« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2023, 02:41:09 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 175
Still doesn't solve the biggest problem- head coach.
To everyone thinking DW is now relegated to the bench- Joe doesn't play double bigs. To everyone complaining that we lost our depth- Joe didn't play our depth. I have no confidence that Cassell or others are going to improve this, unless Joe is fired and one of the new assistants are promoted. This trade is truly one of the winniest now of win now moves I've seen in a long time. Maybe,  since the Nets traded for Pierce and KG (and shot themselves in the foot with rookie coach Kidd like we did last year).

« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2023, 02:41:25 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2547
I wonder what other players Stevens could have gotten for that trade package. That is a pretty big trade package.

Could he have gotten a younger 3rd star to pair with the Jays long term? Could he have gotten an athletic PF with defensive size to allow the Jays to stay at SG & SF?

Was a 33yr old guard the right guy to go all-in with through this trade package?

With a package like that, I would have hoped for a guy like Siakam, DeJounte Murray, or Darius Garland. All younger and better than Holiday.
I don’t think that package would have got them. Probably would have taken Jaylen.   But why cry over getting the best player in the deal? Isn’t that always what you want in the NBA?  2 non-durable players for a better, more durable player who has a few more years on his tread.

« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2023, 02:41:40 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
Great player. Great trade. Great team. Need some more depth. I love how this opens up up time for Pritchard as a scorer off the bench. I think he's ready.

We have Grant's TPE to help with depth.

What about FAs? Can Nerlens Noel provide 80% of what Rob did? There are guys there that can give you decent backup minutes. Won't be game-changers, but guys who can run in the regular season - Dedmond, Bismack, Griffin, Green, etc.

« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2023, 02:47:50 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2547
The underappreciated piece of Jrue is he’s that good but that humble. He’d be fine with five points a game but can give you 20 if you need it. He can close out games as a fourth option but be a first or second option with the bench unit. That’s what those other stars lack. And it’s what Smart lacked (the bench unit point). He flexes for what you need. The best locker room guy in the league.

So you can run him with the starters. And then run him and Porzingis with the bench guys. He will scale up or down to contribute in the way you need him to contribute.

You can get another guy with this package but you’ll create more problems. Jrue is the picture perfect 4th best player on a team.

And DWhite is  picture perfect 5th best. White and Jrue will be great teammates for the Jays. Not to mention Al is also great for where he’ll be in the rotation.  I do think (hope) White gets the start with Al on the bench. Remains to be seen who Brad can get for backup big.  I’m on board with Blake for depth big, but need a rotation guy.

« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2023, 02:51:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2423
Jrue & D White
the new
DJ & Ainge.

« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2023, 02:52:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2423
Jrue & D White
the new
DJ & Ainge.

So does that make

Tatum, Jaylen & Porzingis
the new
Bird, McHale and Parish

Horford
the new
B Walton or C Maxwell

« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2023, 02:53:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3026
  • On To Banner 18!
I will say, Brad Stevens has BALLS.

Ainge had a few blockbusters obviously (Nets trade, Kyrie move, etc.) but he was usually very timid especially at trade deadlines. But while I hoped Ainge would be more active, I didn't think one could be THIS active like Stevens has been every year since 2021. Wowzers. Fan favorites love Smart and Timelord? Don't care, trade them away. You like your treasure chest of draft picks? That's cute, we'll give them away like Christmas presents lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2023, 02:55:54 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1496
Still doesn't solve the biggest problem- head coach.
To everyone thinking DW is now relegated to the bench- Joe doesn't play double bigs. To everyone complaining that we lost our depth- Joe didn't play our depth. I have no confidence that Cassell or others are going to improve this, unless Joe is fired and one of the new assistants are promoted.

I have to admit I was thinking the same thing (bolded).  I still think the biggest hurdle is our coach.  I hope he has learned a lot over the summer.  But I would feel way more comfortable with someone else. 

« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2023, 02:57:17 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1459
Just because Holliday and Porzingis made an All-Star team or two in the past…. does not make them “All-Star Players”. Neither of them are All Stars.

You don't like the moves Brad made this offseason. But you the Cs could not have run it back as is. That wasn't going to work.

I want to know what moves you wanted or what you think was a winning formula?

They weren’t running it back as is. They had already added Porzingis.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2023, 02:58:32 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Am I the only one who still thinks they start with double bigs after this trade? Think the need to have a veteran guard off the bench with either White or Holiday is important.

Is there another move or trade in the works for depth?

« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2023, 03:02:15 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1459
Am I the only one who still thinks they start with double bigs after this trade? Think the need to have a veteran guard off the bench with either White or Holiday is important.

I feel like both Horford and Porzingis are centers. Rob had the lateral quickness to play 4. I think it will be Holiday, White, Brown, Tatum, Porzingis.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2023, 03:06:02 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1692
I admit that I'm a little disappointed in what this likely means for White.  He's a bit too willing to slide into the background as an offensive contributor.  I thought we were going to ask for more from him as a lead guard, and I actually had him tagged as a potential breakout guy because I think he has the ability to fulfill those expectations.  Too many other weapons in the starting lineup for that to happen now. 

First world problem though.  Our top six is sick, and if one of these spaghetti-on-the-wall bench forwards actually sticks, then look out. 

« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2023, 03:12:24 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

I feel like both Horford and Porzingis are centers. Rob had the lateral quickness to play 4. I think it will be Holiday, White, Brown, Tatum, Porzingis.
I think the smaller lineup last year resulted in a lot of defensive problems. Thought it was an issue all year and especially in the playoffs until they went to double big lineup. With the lack of depth, I also worry about the wear and tear of both JT and JB covering bigger players.

« Reply #149 on: October 01, 2023, 03:13:37 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I've said it before: Stevens is a great trader and a better GM than he was a coach.

He got the guy he wanted--who many (including myself) rate as a better all around player than Lillard.

And what did he give up?  Two guys who are good players and both injuries waiting to happen. Just look at their history.
They have both disappointed fantasy players by getting hurt too often. Robert has fragile knees and is not really a full time player.
Brogdon's history is he finds a way to get hurt.
Plus a back end no. 1 draft pick (GS's) in '24 and back end pick (Celtics) in '24 or '29? I've seen both. Those back ends are basically expensive no.2s.

This could be a better deal than the Porzingis deal.

That's a loaded team they have right now that will be favored to win it all--even in NY.

Note that Stevens cleverly unloaded major salary, which increases the chances of being able to extend Holiday.

Can that young coach handle this team? We'll soon find out. Fortunately they have a guy like Sam Cassell on the staff who lends experience.
Plus a few others.