Poll

Is Jayson Tatum closer to KD or Andrew Wiggings?

Andrew Wiggings
20 (27%)
KD
31 (41.9%)
Other
23 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: Poll - Is Jayson Tatum closer to KD or Andrew Wiggins?  (Read 13571 times)

Re: Poll - Is Jayson Tatum closer to KD or Andrew Wiggins?
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2020, 12:14:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Jayson Tatum certainly looked like he's closer to KD against the Lakers.

Looks like Tatum will be playing in the All-Star game in Chicago.

Jayson Tatum Has Crossed the Threshold into NBA Stardom
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872352-jayson-tatum-has-crossed-the-threshold-into-nba-stardom
His shot selection still bugs the hell out of me.  Hate the dribble dribble dribble step back.  Anybody can get that shot and it’s not a good one.  Until Tatum can actually defeat a (supposed) mismatch consistently by driving by his man, I’ll hold off on anointing him.  Needs to be able to get easier shots so he can be consistent.

Tatum lacks strength, he still has the body of a college kid.

That's why his tendency is to resort to the step back jumper.

Once his body fully develops, he will be able to play bully-ball against smaller defenders.
Not sure you guys have noticed but Tatum has been going to the bucket quite well over the last month or more. Earlier in the year, Tatum's FG% at the rim was hovering around 45% while taking about 25% of his shots at that range. Well he is still taking about 25% of his shots from within 3 feet but he has been making those shots so often he has increased his FG% at that distance to over 60% now. In order to raise his FG% 15 points, he has needed to convert those shots at a very high rate recently.

« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2020, 12:58:31 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872352-jayson-tatum-has-crossed-the-threshold-into-nba-stardom
His shot selection still bugs the hell out of me.  Hate the dribble dribble dribble step back.  Anybody can get that shot and it’s not a good one.  Until Tatum can actually defeat a (supposed) mismatch consistently by driving by his man, I’ll hold off on anointing him.  Needs to be able to get easier shots so he can be consistent.

Once his body fully develops, he will be able to play bully-ball against smaller defenders.

Watching Tatum at the free throw line last night a few times the camera was up close, and you can definitely notice he's increased his size.  His shoulders are exceptionally broad, and he still has more room to fill out, but I wouldn't say he still has the body of a college kid.  He's no freak like LeBron, but I think by next year, he'll already have more size than Durant does.

« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2020, 01:00:07 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Not sure you guys have noticed but Tatum has been going to the bucket quite well over the last month or more. Earlier in the year, Tatum's FG% at the rim was hovering around 45% while taking about 25% of his shots at that range. Well he is still taking about 25% of his shots from within 3 feet but he has been making those shots so often he has increased his FG% at that distance to over 60% now. In order to raise his FG% 15 points, he has needed to convert those shots at a very high rate recently.

Yes, up through Nov 30, Tatum's FG% within 3 feet of the basket was a gawd awful 48.2% and that alone was dragging his entire efficiency down.  His scoring efficiency was just 51.1% TS through that point.

Since then, his FG% within 3 feet has been a much more healthy 63.1% and not surprisingly his overall scoring efficiency has been a solid 56.2% TS% since then.  And steadily improving.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2020, 01:15:04 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Still a mix of Paul George and Paul Pierce to me.
He doesn't really play like Paul George though.  Similar talent level, but I just don't see them as playing the game the same way stylistically.
Hence Paul Pierce/Paul George hybrid, I think he'll be closer to Pierce stylistically but have the two way balance of a PG type.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2020, 01:20:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Yes, up through Nov 30, Tatum's FG% within 3 feet of the basket was a gawd awful 48.2% and that alone was dragging his entire efficiency down.  His scoring efficiency was just 51.1% TS through that point.

Since then, his FG% within 3 feet has been a much more healthy 63.1% and not surprisingly his overall scoring efficiency has been a solid 56.2% TS% since then.  And steadily improving.
Many TPs 5m for the actual numbers. I couldn't find the breakdown anywhere but I remember I looked at his numbers at the rim like 6-7 weeks ago and knew they were in the mid 40's or so.

Did you get those numbers at NBA.com/stats? I know you can do filters there for this specific info but haven't figured out how to set filters, though I have tried dozens of times.

« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2020, 01:21:29 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I think Tatum’s future is very dependent on ball handling. Better handle equals better penetration, facilitating. He gets that going and it’s really hard to see what his ceiling is. We see what it’s done for a Jaylen and even Smart who as a young player was forced to pick up his dribble is now making very quick decisions.
  I feel like Tatum May be more inclined to drive to the basket than Paul George but just can’t do it YET.

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2020, 02:09:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2020, 02:19:54 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Many TPs 5m for the actual numbers. I couldn't find the breakdown anywhere but I remember I looked at his numbers at the rim like 6-7 weeks ago and knew they were in the mid 40's or so.

Did you get those numbers at NBA.com/stats? I know you can do filters there for this specific info but haven't figured out how to set filters, though I have tried dozens of times.

I used http://nbawowy.com. (now moved under http://www.addmorefunds.com/nba/wowy/ ).

It's a very useful site for looking at on/off effects and the performance of different lineups.

You do need to register an account to use it but it's still free to use.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2020, 02:55:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I used http://nbawowy.com. (now moved under http://www.addmorefunds.com/nba/wowy/ ).

It's a very useful site for looking at on/off effects and the performance of different lineups.

You do need to register an account to use it but it's still free to use.
More TPs. Thank you. I will give that site a try.