Author Topic: flavors/tastes you can't stand  (Read 23047 times)

Re: flavors/tastes you can't stand
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2019, 08:40:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Coffee and anything remotely coffee flavored like Kahlua. Just the smell of the stuff makes me ill.

Avacado/guacamole is just the worst thing ever.

Curry...at least the particular type of curry I had the only time I went to an Indian restaurant. Don't ever want to taste that again.
In my opinion, Japanese curry is much more palatable than Indian curry. I love Indian curry, especially as it tends to be spicy, but Japanese curry is better I think. Not sure if you’ve had it, but it might be more likeable than Indian.
never heard of Japanese curry.  I know of Thai (love it) and a variety of Indian curries (like some of them).  What's Japanese curry like?

couldn't live without coffee.  growing up in RI, coffee milk is in my blood.
Don't you mean coffee melk? Lol.
have to admit I've never heard it pronounced that way living there my whole life.  considering how many things mis-pronounced there, I'm surprised I never heard that.

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2019, 08:41:13 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Anything grape flavored. You can't recreate that flavor. It's all a lie.
Yeah but.....wine 🍷🍷🍷
eeewwwww.  my wife's a wine lover and she's welcome to it. 

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2019, 08:41:28 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Salt

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2019, 08:45:29 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Champagne

Yup totally wasted on me.

Mustard is from hell too.
have to agree with champaign and wine in general.  waste of perfectly good grape juice.

no love for mustard?  need it on hot dogs and brats

It used to legit make me gag as a kid.  Especially the really yellow stuff.  I can handle some grainy stuff in recipes, but there's no type of mustard that will improve any eating experience for me!
Yup

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2019, 08:51:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Coffee and anything remotely coffee flavored like Kahlua. Just the smell of the stuff makes me ill.

Curry...at least the particular type of curry I had the only time I went to an Indian restaurant. Don't ever want to taste that again.
In my opinion, Japanese curry is much more palatable than Indian curry. I love Indian curry, especially as it tends to be spicy, but Japanese curry is better I think. Not sure if you’ve had it, but it might be more likeable than Indian.
never heard of Japanese curry.  I know of Thai (love it) and a variety of Indian curries (like some of them).  What's Japanese curry like?

have to admit I've never heard it pronounced that way living there my whole life.  considering how many things mis-pronounced there, I'm surprised I never heard that.
Oh, it's how like every one of my sons friends pronounced it.

Of course they always pronounced Coventry as Carventry too.

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2019, 08:55:03 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Oh man, I forgot about my hatred of avacado. It makes getting sushi a lot more difficult for me
I'm bitter.

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2019, 08:59:59 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Champagne

Yup totally wasted on me.

Mustard is from hell too.

What??

Montreal smoke meat and mustard = heaven

Man, I'll give you a TP just for mentioning smoked meat. I was eating that at least once a week when I was up there for work, and made some myself last summer. I could eat just that for the rest of my life (though that life would probably be very, very short)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2019, 09:10:48 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Blue cheese.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2019, 09:10:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Japanese curry is a lot thicker than Thai and Indian curries because it uses flour in the gravy (IIRC) alongside the spices. It’s also often garnished with pickled vegetables.

The meat is also a bit different, as it’s very popular for the chicken or the pork “katsu” (cutlet) is crumbed/fried, which is a bit different from the usual chicken and beef bits you get in Indian and Thai ones.

Other than that, I can’t really say much, besides it being less spicy and more peppery
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2019, 10:01:17 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I've lived in RI my whole life and I still remember one family that lived next to us when I was a kid that all pronounced it that way.  It still stands out because I've never heard anyone else say it that way.

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2019, 10:04:01 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Cucumber.

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2019, 10:21:34 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Blue cheese and anything really bitter

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2019, 10:28:15 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Salmon.

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2019, 10:39:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Japanese curry is a lot thicker than Thai and Indian curries because it uses flour in the gravy (IIRC) alongside the spices. It’s also often garnished with pickled vegetables.

The meat is also a bit different, as it’s very popular for the chicken or the pork “katsu” (cutlet) is crumbed/fried, which is a bit different from the usual chicken and beef bits you get in Indian and Thai ones.

Other than that, I can’t really say much, besides it being less spicy and more peppery
good to know.  TP for the culinary tip

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2019, 10:42:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I've lived in RI my whole life and I still remember one family that lived next to us when I was a kid that all pronounced it that way.  It still stands out because I've never heard anyone else say it that way.
I'll keep an ear out for that and see if I hear anyone say it like that