Author Topic: Hold Out any Hope for Yabusele this season?  (Read 1855 times)

Hold Out any Hope for Yabusele this season?
« on: June 24, 2019, 11:06:41 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Now that Horford likely gone, R Williams still raw, G Williams a rook, is Yabusele being under-sold here as someone to give us decent minutes at the 4/5 position, especially if we don't swing a trade or FA signing to our liking?  He has been completely written off by this board, and for good reason.But the fact remains he plays hard, stays within the system, and has good size/weight to handle other bigs.

My biggest disappointment with him has been (i) his 3 point shooting (he was high 30's% going into the draft; this could be a minutes thing), and (ii) his weight. He seems heavier than usual. Draymond was having a below average year last season, until he decided to lose 20 pounds, and it really paid off.
I know the Celtics talked to Yabu about his weight before. I would think this could be corrected pretty quickly, assuming he was willing to put in the effort. He plays so hard on the court, so I doubt it is his attitude.

Re: Hold Out any Hope for Yabusele this season?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:24:22 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Funny you started a thread because I was trying to start one yesterday about Yabu, and I lost all my write up.

Long story short he was buried behind vets Horford, Baynes, Theis (experienced in Europe), Morris, and competing with an upside rook in Williams.

We may only sign 1 maybe 2 bigs this offseason while losing Horford, Baynes, and possibly Theis and Morris.  There will be opportunities available.

Sometimes it takes big men longer to develop, and it doesn’t help that I believe he started playing basketball late in his youth days as he was involved in soccer and boxing.

If you dig around at some old articles you can see the Celtics brass and his teammates believe in him.  Brown called him a freak of nature, and Horford has said the kid can play.  When we picked up his option last year Stevens said he believes he has a bright future with good upside.

There are signs (I understand very small sample size) of improvement.  There was a Memphis come from behind win this year where he had the 2nd highest plus minus and played due to injuries to other bigs.  Stevens pointed him out in the post game saying he was a big reason for the win.  I think it was during his rookie year he started for a 4 game stretch where he played roughly 22 MPG with good per 36 stats and we went 3-1.  I think his positional and rotations have improved (again I understand small sample size).

I think it doesn’t hurt to hold onto him this year, especially since it’s kind of a retooling year.  Maybe he will surprise us. If not no big loss and you move on.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 11:27:15 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Yabu is eating up cap space.

He'll be gone if Ainge needs the cap space.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 11:32:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think all three young PF (Yabu, Williams and Semi) will all be given the chance to win the starting PF spot on this team.   I think all three will have a chance to earn minutes.   (somewhere in the 12-25 minute)

I don't think any of them will be part of the closing lineups.   That's Brown/Tatum/Hayward time.  (all three of those players being 30+ minute)

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 11:35:01 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think all three young PF (Yabu, Williams and Semi) will all be given the chance to win the starting PF spot on this team.   I think all three will have a chance to earn minutes.   (somewhere in the 12-25 minute)

I don't think any of them will be part of the closing lineups.   That's Brown/Tatum/Hayward time.  (all three of those players being 30+ minute)
I doubt it.  If that's our choices for starting PF, we are in trouble.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 11:36:03 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Or center spot, unless you assume that this will be filled with FA or trade.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 11:37:24 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Considering Semi has started in the past, it could happen.

And notice I said given the chance to win.   If all fail, I would imagine they would look for a vet to fill the spot. 

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 11:38:29 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Yabu is not a good NBA player.   I thought he was drafted as a stash player because of cap reasons.  Now he is just filler and a cap hit so I will assume he will be let go asap.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 11:44:17 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Considering Semi has started in the past, it could happen.

And notice I said given the chance to win.   If all fail, I would imagine they would look for a vet to fill the spot.
Like I said, if he is the C's starting PF, team has issues.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 12:11:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I have given up all hope with Yabu.

I expect him to be gone by training camp. Trade fodder.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 12:13:38 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
If Yabu gets any meaningful minutes then this team will be in the lottery. He is terrible.

I wish he would go away.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Yabusele is a waste of a roster spot at this point

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 12:28:55 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Yabusele is a waste of a roster spot at this point

Now that we're under the cap and can take players into space his value is way, way, way down. Of course, we might hop back up to the cap at any time, so...

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 01:02:17 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I don't, Yabusele has shown some improvement defensively, but overall I don't see enough signs to think that he can grow into becoming a fulltime rotation player.

I would trade Yabusele for cap space, but I wish him all the best. In fairness he never got an actual chance, despite being drafted #16th, a good professional and teammate. Don't blame Yabu, but this is a perfect example of a wasted asset.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 01:18:02 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I’m ready to find out what Ojeleye can do! 

If he’s allowed the minutes, maybe he’ll relax and his shot will fall more consistently.  His form sure is nice (though so is RJ’s :(  )

What a boon to the team if he can make it!