Author Topic: shake-up at the top of the draft?  (Read 2287 times)

shake-up at the top of the draft?
« on: June 19, 2019, 10:20:12 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
NOLA, I’m told, is assembling assets in all out effort to leapfrog Knicks into second slot in order to snare RJ Barrett. Obviously, Pels are offering Grizz No 4 pick as part payment. No pity parties planned. NY would land Morant or Garland. Memphis would pluck point that drops...

https://twitter.com/PeterVecsey1/status/1141525948321320960

Re: shake-up at the top of the draft?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 10:22:25 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Memphis has been so high on Morant, can't imagine they'll go for this.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 10:27:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Terrible move. Barrett and Zion cannot coexist. It didnt  work in college. Wins don't tell the whole story between of their struggle to play together

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 10:34:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Terrible move. Barrett and Zion cannot coexist. It didnt  work in college. Wins don't tell the whole story between of their struggle to play together
I think that was exaggerated by being surrounded by other people who couldn't shoot from outside, like Tre Jones, Reddish, and either Bolden or DeLaurier.

Zion was actually the highest % shooter from 3 in their starting lineup, and 4th on the team overall. That's including Baker and Robinson who were the top 2 shooters on the team, and they played a combined 76 minutes.

The team just had no floor-spacing, which will be less of an issue in the NBA.

I'm not saying the deal will happen, but I think they could work together
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 10:37:26 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I can't see Memphis passing on Morant.

I think a more realistic possibility is that NOP drafts Garland 4 and moves Lonzo for another high pick (Suns at 6?).

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 10:42:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I think a more realistic possibility is that NOP drafts Garland 4 and moves Lonzo for another high pick (Suns at 6?).
Yeah, I can see this being more likely. Lonzo and Booker would be fun, because their game is basically the complete opposite of one another.

Plus New Orleans probably want the 2 more years of better cap control that this kind of deal would get them.

Ending up with a core of Garland-Jrue-Ingram-Zion-#6 pick would be pretty entertaining

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 10:47:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Pete Vecsey lost  his fastball 25 years ago

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 10:47:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They didn't have a PG who could do much ball handling, and also had little shooting around those two. I can see wanting to go for that pairing if you plan to assemble a roster that provides those two elements.

Remember two years ago the C's were locked in on Fultz, until they suddenly were not.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 10:51:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pete Vecsey lost  his fastball 25 years ago

Yep.  He's just been making stuff up for years. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 11:02:06 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Yeah, I can see this being more likely. Lonzo and Booker would be fun, because their game is basically the complete opposite of one another.

Plus New Orleans probably want the 2 more years of better cap control that this kind of deal would get them.

Ending up with a core of Garland-Jrue-Ingram-Zion-#6 pick would be pretty entertaining
how on earth is that likely? why would they move Lonzo (a better guard prospect than garland)... Also how can they do it if they can't trade lonzo for 6 months ? The trade isn't even official yet

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 11:03:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

how on earth is that likely? why would they move Lonzo (a better guard prospect than garland)... Also how can they do it if they can't trade lonzo for 6 months ? The trade isn't even official yet
You make it a three team trade. The Lakers aren't going to argue, it wouldn't change anything about their end of the deal. Heck they could even try and dump some salary to the third team.

As for Lonzo compared to Garland, that's all in the eye of the beholder. Some teams really love Garland, think he's in the Lillard mold as a PG.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 11:06:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Lonzo is a marginally better prospect than Garland who has more pressing injury concerns (see him barely able to play 50% of the games he's been on an NBA team for), who has previously expressed a desire to not play for New Orleans and who is a very questionable fit alongside Jrue Holiday.

Garland is a much more modern day offensive point guard, with elite shooting and good finishing. Not sure what you think he is

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 12:24:15 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Lonzo is a marginally better prospect than Garland who has more pressing injury concerns (see him barely able to play 50% of the games he's been on an NBA team for), who has previously expressed a desire to not play for New Orleans and who is a very questionable fit alongside Jrue Holiday.

Garland is a much more modern day offensive point guard, with elite shooting and good finishing. Not sure what you think he is
looks like I was right lol