Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 394164 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #2670 on: August 09, 2020, 10:19:35 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Embiid just hurt ankle. Don’t know if serious
Good. It’s gonna be great when we go against the 76ers and we beat them. Their only player left is average al lol

I don't hope for Embiid and Simmons to be hurt, but I really want the C's to beat Al.  He didn't need to jump ship -- and the C's would be even more interesting right now if he had stayed.
Had Horford stayed, we wouldn't have had enough cap space to sign Kemba.

They were working on a way to keep both, but not at the money Phili threw at Al
Highly doubt it. I mean, we had to dump Baynes in order to create enough cap space for Kemba. No way we could have had both Kemba and Horford.

Personally speaking, I have nothing against Horford. At the end of the day, the Sixers made him a better offer. If the C's were willing to offer Horford a 4th year, I bet he would have stayed in Boston.

From my perspective, I like Horford, but we dodged two big bullets with him and Kyrie walking. Horford was declining last year. This year he's a shell of himself, and what we needed him the most for, his defensive ability, is what is suffering the most. Paying him anywhere near that money for 4 years would have been a disaster.

Theis has really stepped in and done a great job, better than I could have expected. We also have space for Rob Williams to develop faster and contribute. I'm very happy with our big men this season.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that he's a shell of himself. The way I see it, he's playing out of position. At this stage in his career, he ain't mobile enough to play D on the perimeter. Imo, he should be playing exclusively at the 5.

Anyway, it is what it is. Fwiw, I believe Danny made the right call. I wouldn't want us to have Horford on the books for 4 years either.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 10:33:38 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #2671 on: August 09, 2020, 10:49:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Embiid just hurt ankle. Don’t know if serious
Good. It’s gonna be great when we go against the 76ers and we beat them. Their only player left is average al lol

I don't hope for Embiid and Simmons to be hurt, but I really want the C's to beat Al.  He didn't need to jump ship -- and the C's would be even more interesting right now if he had stayed.
Had Horford stayed, we wouldn't have had enough cap space to sign Kemba.

They were working on a way to keep both, but not at the money Phili threw at Al
Highly doubt it. I mean, we had to dump Baynes in order to create enough cap space for Kemba. No way we could have had both Kemba and Horford.

Personally speaking, I have nothing against Horford. At the end of the day, the Sixers made him a better offer. If the C's were willing to offer Horford a 4th year, I bet he would have stayed in Boston.

From my perspective, I like Horford, but we dodged two big bullets with him and Kyrie walking. Horford was declining last year. This year he's a shell of himself, and what we needed him the most for, his defensive ability, is what is suffering the most. Paying him anywhere near that money for 4 years would have been a disaster.

Theis has really stepped in and done a great job, better than I could have expected. We also have space for Rob Williams to develop faster and contribute. I'm very happy with our big men this season.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that he's a shell of himself. The way I see it, he's playing out of position. At this stage in his career, he ain't mobile enough to play D on the perimeter. Imo, he should be playing exclusively at the 5.

Anyway, it is what it is. Fwiw, I believe Danny made the right call. I wouldn't want us to have Horford on the books for 4 years either.

Precisely. His main value to us was his defense, and he can't do it any longer. He can't defend the perimeter in Brad's schemes.

As you said, it all worked out. It would have been hard for the Celtics to tell him take a walk after all he did for us and what they did to get him to come here in the first place, but it was time for him to either take a big pay cut and come off the bench or move on.

« Reply #2672 on: August 10, 2020, 01:55:59 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Maybe Horford will decide to turn it on in the playoffs like how he always did with the Celtics back then.

But hopefully, he doesn't when they face the Celtics in the playoffs.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2673 on: August 10, 2020, 02:22:51 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Maybe Horford will decide to turn it on in the playoffs like how he always did with the Celtics back then.

But hopefully, he doesn't when they face the Celtics in the playoffs.
Playoff Horford is real, but a Sixers team without Embiid and Simmons isn't going to beat a Celtics team at full strength in a 7 game series even if Horford turns into a top 10-15 player come playoff time.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2674 on: August 10, 2020, 06:50:34 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Portland won...Memphis lost!! I want Portland to face Lakers..they may not win but they will put up a better fight than Memphis
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2675 on: August 10, 2020, 07:22:13 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Portland won...Memphis lost!! I want Portland to face Lakers..they may not win but they will put up a better fight than Memphis

I just want Memphis to drop to 14th pick!!!  I think we can pick up a decent player there.

« Reply #2676 on: August 10, 2020, 08:06:37 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

Good news to catch the 14th pick ! But the Blazers arn't very beautiful to watch, still a lot of inconistence... I don't see them challenge the Lakers much more than Grizzs, whatever medias are saying.

« Reply #2677 on: August 10, 2020, 08:59:49 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Dame Lillard is the NEW Truth.

Paul Pierce will have to share his nickname for a minute.

Look - if LAL gets PORT first round that is a potential BUZZ SAW for them...

Carmelo Anthony is SLIMMED down and CONTINUING his improved play....a playoff matchup against LAL and his friend LeBron will be HUGE for Melo.

Nurkic is a RUGGED and talented Big....Zach Collins adds size up front as well.

Top it all off was Dame giving shade to Paul George and Pat Beverly this weekend after they teased him about missing those FTs......dude played it off perfectly and I loved his response to those two.

Don't sleep on PORT, LAL....

« Reply #2678 on: August 10, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

Carmelo Anthony is SLIMMED down and CONTINUING his improved play....a playoff matchup against LAL and his friend LeBron will be HUGE for Melo.

Top it all off was Dame giving shade to Paul George and Pat Beverly this weekend after they teased him about missing those FTs......dude played it off perfectly and I loved his response to those two.

Sure the add of Nurkic is huge for them, Zach Collins and Gary Trent give them an upside since regular season...
But they have a lot of up and downs during games, sometimes their game seems a little anarchic. I don't see them having the same chemistry and mojo than last year.

I guess they will win the play in agaist the Grizzs (against Phoenix not sure, but unprobable), but they arn't in the same catgory of team than the lakers. It will be more a nice matchup on the paperbord and an occasion for a media buzz.

« Reply #2679 on: August 10, 2020, 09:32:36 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I just don't see Portland as a true threat to the Lakers.  Their improved play in the bubble is the difference between getting swept and pushing the Lakers to 6 games (at most).  Dame is a monster and healthy Nurkic is a huge upgrade but that's where it ends for me.

Melo deserves lots of credit for his conditioning.  Unfortunately, it hasn't changed the fact that he's an attrocious defensive player.  Portland can't get stops when it counts, which puts all the pressure on Lilliard to play out of his mind on a nightly basis.

The Lakers can win any style of game and will have the two best players in a potential playoff matchup.  More often than not I trust the Lakers in the final minutes of a close game.  They can execute on both ends of the court.     

« Reply #2680 on: August 10, 2020, 01:54:10 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I just don't see Portland as a true threat to the Lakers.  Their improved play in the bubble is the difference between getting swept and pushing the Lakers to 6 games (at most).  Dame is a monster and healthy Nurkic is a huge upgrade but that's where it ends for me.

Melo deserves lots of credit for his conditioning.  Unfortunately, it hasn't changed the fact that he's an attrocious defensive player.  Portland can't get stops when it counts, which puts all the pressure on Lilliard to play out of his mind on a nightly basis.

The Lakers can win any style of game and will have the two best players in a potential playoff matchup.  More often than not I trust the Lakers in the final minutes of a close game.  They can execute on both ends of the court.   

The Blazers with Nurkic and Collins both back can beat this current Lakers squad. The Lakers should be favored of course, but it won't be easy for them. Losing Bradley will hurt them a lot. They will have a hard time containing Lillard and McCollum.

A front court of Melo, Nurkic and Collins is also a lot for the Lakers to deal with. Sure they have AD, but Lebron is old, and after those two guys they have practically nothing but a washed up group of disgruntled vets who are borderline out of the league and a handful of guys who are good 9-10th guys on a roster.

« Reply #2681 on: August 10, 2020, 02:14:23 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

The Blazers with Nurkic and Collins both back can beat this current Lakers squad. The Lakers should be favored of course, but it won't be easy for them. Losing Bradley will hurt them a lot. They will have a hard time containing Lillard and McCollum.

A front court of Melo, Nurkic and Collins is also a lot for the Lakers to deal with. Sure they have AD, but Lebron is old, and after those two guys they have practically nothing but a washed up group of disgruntled vets who are borderline out of the league and a handful of guys who are good 9-10th guys on a roster.

Agree with all of this.

People sleeping on Portland....

I get that LAL is a favorite to win it all but they are NOT invulnerable - see BOS's effort against them TWICE this year.

Talented and hungry teams do not back down from LA.

« Reply #2682 on: August 10, 2020, 02:28:52 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Lillard is a really good basketball player. Teams with really good basketball players always have a chance.

But I just do not get the fascination with his supporting cast. I think they are terrible. CJ McCullom, for all the respect he gets, might be the worst second banana of any good team in the NBA. Nurkic is a productive center, but I wonder if Kanter proved that any center can be productive in Stotts' system. Is he really gonna stand a chance against Davis or James on switches? Carmelo Anthony is a bad basketball player now. They give him isolation plays because that's the only way he can contribute, but he is not contributing efficiently through those. Zach Collins is fine, but is he that good? I mean, he is basically a rotation NBA big. Is he better than Theis? Hassan Whiteside is the all-time good stats bad player guy. Teams with him on the court don't do better. Then what? Anferne Simons? A lot of hope for a guy who hasn't produced. Nassir Little? Bueller? Bueller?

I like Damian Lillard a lot. I respect the fact that he has stayed in Portland. I like the other guys on their team too, but they aren't that good and their record proves it. They have a swagger and confidence -- I'll give them that, but they might be the all-time pickup-basketball-show-up-walking-around-like-you-own-the-gym-lose-in-the-first-game-to-a-bunch-of-old-football-players-who-can't-shoot team.

« Reply #2683 on: August 10, 2020, 02:55:40 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Lillard is a really good basketball player. Teams with really good basketball players always have a chance.

But I just do not get the fascination with his supporting cast. I think they are terrible. CJ McCullom, for all the respect he gets, might be the worst second banana of any good team in the NBA. Nurkic is a productive center, but I wonder if Kanter proved that any center can be productive in Stotts' system. Is he really gonna stand a chance against Davis or James on switches? Carmelo Anthony is a bad basketball player now. They give him isolation plays because that's the only way he can contribute, but he is not contributing efficiently through those. Zach Collins is fine, but is he that good? I mean, he is basically a rotation NBA big. Is he better than Theis? Hassan Whiteside is the all-time good stats bad player guy. Teams with him on the court don't do better. Then what? Anferne Simons? A lot of hope for a guy who hasn't produced. Nassir Little? Bueller? Bueller?

I like Damian Lillard a lot. I respect the fact that he has stayed in Portland. I like the other guys on their team too, but they aren't that good and their record proves it. They have a swagger and confidence -- I'll give them that, but they might be the all-time pickup-basketball-show-up-walking-around-like-you-own-the-gym-lose-in-the-first-game-to-a-bunch-of-old-football-players-who-can't-shoot team.

Their roster is better than their record due to the injuries, but they do just need more top end talent. This summer Whiteside is coming off their books, I wonder if they'd be able to package Ariza and young like Simmons, Collins, Little and/or picks to bring in a good wing. I'm not sure who that guy is, but its possible. It would help alot. With whiteside off their books they should have the mid level to work with as well. They need SF sized guys.

« Reply #2684 on: August 10, 2020, 04:23:21 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

The Lakers will get Bradley and Rondo back by playoffs time or at least on minute restriction though. Alex Caruso going to put up ridiculous numbers out of nowhere and Kyle Kuzma is the wild card.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)