Author Topic: Think we'll start Pierce at SG eventually?  (Read 3788 times)

Re: Think we'll start Pierce at SG eventually?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I like Pierce at SG with Green on the floor at SF.  Not for the whole game of course but for key stretches.

I think Milicic would be the best 5th guys to go along with that line up (Rondo, PP, JG, KG, Darko) but it is clear that Darko has not earned Doc's trust.

I think they should play Bradley at back-up PG when he comes back to reduce Rondo's minutes, we have plenty of other SGs.  Barbosa then moves down the bench.

Terry is the best of the rest in terms of SG and will be on the court at SG more than Bradley.  That is part of why I think it is so important to get Bradley on the court at back-up PG.

See, got it all figured out.

leaving out one GIANT detail. Who is backup SF? I love that lineup. Only if you have another reliable SF behind Green and Pierce. Pietrus comes to mind.

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 08:52:12 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I like Pierce at SG with Green on the floor at SF.  Not for the whole game of course but for key stretches.
I think Milicic would be the best 5th guys to go along with that line up (Rondo, PP, JG, KG, Darko) but it is clear that Darko has not earned Doc's trust.

I think they should play Bradley at back-up PG when he comes back to reduce Rondo's minutes, we have plenty of other SGs.  Barbosa then moves down the bench.

Terry is the best of the rest in terms of SG and will be on the court at SG more than Bradley.  That is part of why I think it is so important to get Bradley on the court at back-up PG.

This is an intriguing approach. I think it works well when we are in a half court type game. Maybe we are not as effective defensively in a running game.

I would love to see a healthy Darko starting at the 5 for us. I dont care if he only plays 15 mpg, he is a decent passer, a force in the paint and a fair shot blocker.

I do think when Bradley comes back, he is a guy that impacts the game significantly on defense and we have to play him at the SG for decent minutes.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 09:18:05 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Green and Pierce at sg and sf is the best lineup i've seen.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

leaving out one GIANT detail. Who is backup SF? I love that lineup. Only if you have another reliable SF behind Green and Pierce. Pietrus comes to mind.

Well, I didn't point this out directly but Pierce plays say 35 minutes and Green plays say 25 minutes, total 60 minutes.  There are only 48 as SF so Pierce can play 12 minutes at SG.

This only works if Green plays well; better than Terry and Lee.  If Green doesn't play well, there is no reason to do this.

I like this becasue it is a way to get more size on the court.  I prefer "tall ball" to "small ball" when you can.

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 12:45:40 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
The perfect starting lineup is Pierce at the 2 and Green at the 3

Pierce may not be as fast as the shooting guards at the league, but he can keep up, and they'll have a hard time guarding him. And Green needs to be in the starting lineup. He can be way more effective if he gets more minutes. Plus he sucks at playing the 4

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Courtney Lee would have to play more backup 3. No one said Pierce and Green had to play ALL their minutes simultaneously.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 01:57:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I've been saying it since this summer... this roster doesn't make any sense right now.

The roster will make sense once Bradley gets back.

Rondo - Bradley - Pierce - Bass - KG

That lineup KILLED teams last year.  I can't emphasize that enough.  They KILLED opponents.  Great offensively, incredible defensively.

112 offensive rating, 92 defensive rating.  Kapow.

What the team needs to do right now is sort out the rest of the supporting cast and figure out a good bench rotation so that when Bradley comes back and slots into the starting lineup, the secondary lineups can properly support and complement the main one.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
As much as I think a lineup of pierce at the two and green at the three is part of our best lineup, I don't think it should be our starting lineup. Green needs minutes to produce and contribute and he can get them coming off the bench. I don't think pierce starting at the two is our best move.

But then comes the question of who starts. Do we start terry, have Wilcox and green come off the bench first for him and Garnett then have lee eventually come in for pierce then reinsert terry to give rondo an end of quarter break? Actually. I kind of like that.

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 07:49:19 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Start KG, Wilcox, Pierce, Lee and Rondo. Bring in Bass for KG, Green for Lee, and Terry for Rondo. Use Sullinger or Darko for a couple minutes to spell Wilcox before KG comes back in. Move Terry to the SG and bring Rondo back in when we sit Pierce.

Starters
KG
Wilcox
Pierce
Lee
Rondo

Subs
Wilcox
Bass PF
Green SF
Pierce SG
Terry PG

Second Subs
Sullinger/Darko
Bass
Green
Terry
Rondo

Third subs
KG
Green
Pierce
Lee
Rondo

And so on......

Use Pierce as a SG but dont start him there.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 11:05:56 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
just to remember you some bad matchups

"Jennings was fabulous tonight - lightning quick, hitting shots," Sixers coach Doug Collins said. "He and Monta Ellis, I don't know if there's a faster two-guard lineup out there than those two guys."
Ellis added 18 points and seven assists for the Bucks (4-2), who shot 51.3 percent from the field and overcame 23 turnovers by building a 48-31 rebounding advantage.

Jrue Holiday scored 25 points

Pierce yes.. against one or two

starting.. not sold
maybe 5 or 6 years ago
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 11:33:07 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
just to remember you some bad matchups

"Jennings was fabulous tonight - lightning quick, hitting shots," Sixers coach Doug Collins said. "He and Monta Ellis, I don't know if there's a faster two-guard lineup out there than those two guys."
Ellis added 18 points and seven assists for the Bucks (4-2), who shot 51.3 percent from the field and overcame 23 turnovers by building a 48-31 rebounding advantage.

Jrue Holiday scored 25 points

Pierce yes.. against one or two

starting.. not sold
maybe 5 or 6 years ago

Doug Collins obviously forgot about Rondo and Bradley

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 12:08:50 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
FWIW, this season is playing out exactly as I imagined.  I had us playing .500 ball until at least January when we can explore trading some of our assets for an upgraded big.  I think there's little question that's our main issue... size next to KG.  Neither Bass or Sullinger is a starting big man in this league.  Beyond those two it's a bunch of min contract bums. 

At SG, we're trotting out a trio of averageness.  Lee, Terry and Barbosa are all effective backup guards.  They are somewhat redundant, though.  I don't really feel Bradley is any better than them... when he comes back you'll have 4 redundant undersized backup shooting guards.   

Cut Jeff Green some slack, though.  I think he should be starting... and starting at his natural position (SF).  He's not a big man.  That was his issue in Oklahoma.  He needs to be starting with Rondo and running the floor.

My eventual hope is that we can package some of the minimal assets we have (Sullinger, Bradley, Lee, Terry, Bass... whatever) and somehow luck into a real big man (Big Al?  Maybe Josh Smith?) ... then I'd be favor of starting Green at SF, moving Pierce to SG and having whatever crap left over come off our bench.  Thoughts?

Whoa hold up...you're calling Jason Terry and Avery Bradley 'average' and 'redundant'??

Jason Terry is one of the best sixth men and clutch scorers of this generation, and is second all-time in 3 pointers made.  Even if you ignore history and only look at his current season his value to us is obvious.  He is our fourth leading scorer so far (12 PPG, 50% FG, 38% 3PT, 93% FT, 25 MPG) and has scored at least 8 points in every one of our first 6 games.  Terry ranked above both Lebron and Wade in clutch scoring last season - that's a hell of a feat.  He's also our only genuine backup for Rondo at the PG spot - Barbosa can handle the position in spots, but only Terry is really capable of running the point if Rondo (god forbid) has to miss a game [edit: which may well happen after today]. 

Avery Bradley is arguably the best 1-on-1 perimeter defender in the entire league.  You can make an argument for Tony Allen, but that's about it.  There is no other player I can think of at the SG spot who gets up into every opposing players face  full court the way Bradley does on defense.  When he's not directly forcing turnovers with his ball pressure he's taking 5-10 seconds off the opposition's shot clock on every such possession, forcing teams out of their rythym and forcing them to rush their offense.  He's also a competent offensive player who can score on back door cuts, on the fast break and with his (now pretty solid) jumper.  Last season he had a greater net positive impact on our team then any other player on our roster not named Kevin Garnett.  In the playoffs he was actually #1.   

Terry and Bradley are not average or redundant players. Both guys bring the type of speciliast skills that win games - Terry with his clutch scoring and Bradley with his ability to shut down elite opposing guards.

Barbosa is somewhat redundant, although he does have a unique gift in his ability to use his speed to get to the basket - something that is also very important for a team that otherwise takes way too many jump shots. 

I would say that Courtney Lee is average and is truly redundant - he doesn't have any real skill that either Terry, Bradley or Barbosa does not or any specific skill he excels at.   What the other three guys bring can make up for what you lose if Lee goes.   I just don't get how you can call Terry and Bradley redundant though...the term 'redundant'suggests that they are not needed, and that the team loses nothing if we get rid of them - that's definately not true.

I believe that right now our most redundant players are Courtney Lee, Bass / Sully (either one) and Darko/Collins (either one).

Courtney is already getting minimal playing time so he'll get practically none once Bradley comes back.  Wilcox has been backing up and PF and center so we only need one out of the Bass/Sully combo.  Neither Collins nor Darko are getting any playing time, so either one of those guys is is currently a total waste of roster space right now.