Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 393902 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #435 on: November 06, 2019, 10:02:32 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Kawhi sitting tonight vs. Bucks for "load management" reasons.

This is ridiculous.  He is playing the next game vs Portland.

Any loss we can pin on the Bucks obviously helps us. This doesn't help.

Something to be said for winning the regular season. There should be a separate and respected trophy for winning the regular season. The regular season is a test of endurance and bigger test than playoffs where you get the luck of the draw and may just get hot for a couple of months.
There's plenty of luck in the regular season.  The Bucks just got some with Kawhi setting out.  A tough game turned into a should win game.  Paul George is also not back yet.  He's supposed to be back soon but will he be playing at a top level went they meeting again Dec 6?  On the other hand the Sixers don't play the Clips until February and March.  This could end up being a significant advantage for the Bucks winning the East. 
Note - The Celtics 1st game against the Clips is 11/20. 

Also regarding the schedule, teams play most in conference teams 4 times but I think 3 teams are only played 3 times.  So a team could get lucky and only have to play the top teams in the conference 3 times.

the schedule will be changed to ensure a round robin schedule. If there is a trophy and honor surrounding the regular season you will not see that many players staying out injured. In the English Premier League the regular season championship is way more prestigous and celebrated than the playoff championship.
Does the EPL even have a playoff championship? I thought only the English Championship had it.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #436 on: November 06, 2019, 10:03:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Definitely a chance of us getting number 1. Embiid is playing his heart out, Is Simmons injured?

« Reply #437 on: November 06, 2019, 10:09:45 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Definitely a chance of us getting number 1. Embiid is playing his heart out, Is Simmons injured?

Hurt his shoulder 4 minutes into the game, ruled out for rest of game.

https://streamable.com/0ruzy

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #438 on: November 06, 2019, 10:40:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

He is having a tough year for sure

« Reply #439 on: November 06, 2019, 10:45:38 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

That didn't really look like much which probably means his arm will fall off given the Sixers luck. 

« Reply #440 on: November 06, 2019, 10:55:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

That didn't really look like much which probably means his arm will fall off given the Sixers luck.

Tazz some of the trash talking aside, I do actually really love embids game. I also really like Horford, although it is now in weird bitter ex territory for me. Richardson seems pretty likeable too. But for the life of me I can’t stand Simmons. You?

« Reply #441 on: November 06, 2019, 11:04:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Something to be said for winning the regular season. There should be a separate and respected trophy for winning the regular season. The regular season is a test of endurance and bigger test than playoffs where you get the luck of the draw and may just get hot for a couple of months.
There's plenty of luck in the regular season.  The Bucks just got some with Kawhi setting out.  A tough game turned into a should win game.  Paul George is also not back yet.  He's supposed to be back soon but will he be playing at a top level went they meeting again Dec 6?  On the other hand the Sixers don't play the Clips until February and March.  This could end up being a significant advantage for the Bucks winning the East. 

Also regarding the schedule, teams play most in conference teams 4 times but I think 3 teams are only played 3 times.  So a team could get lucky and only have to play the top teams in the conference 3 times.

the schedule will be changed to ensure a round robin schedule. If there is a trophy and honor surrounding the regular season you will not see that many players staying out injured. In the English Premier League the regular season championship is way more prestigous and celebrated than the playoff championship.
Does the EPL even have a playoff championship? I thought only the English Championship had it.

The Premier League has the FA Cup which is a playoff format knockout system.

« Reply #442 on: November 06, 2019, 11:23:45 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Embiid is such a shameless flopper.

« Reply #443 on: November 06, 2019, 11:47:19 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
The Boston Celtics are #1 seed after the 76ers fell short to the Jazz tonight. Wow!

The LA Lakers are also the #1 seed. Did they tell us that this year would be like 2008? Lakers vs Celtics NBA Finals?!  :o

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #444 on: November 07, 2019, 12:23:24 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

The Premier League has the FA Cup which is a playoff format knockout system.
The FA Cup is just a Mickey Mouse Cup with some history, but yeah point taken. But honestly I'm not sure how we can get the NBA to truly recognise the regular season with their history of weighing the playoffs so heavily when it comes to team success.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #445 on: November 07, 2019, 12:28:04 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Embiid is such a shameless flopper.

Bledsoe flop is horrid and even though you could clearly see it there was no contact and it was reviewed in a couches challenge the BAD call stood. Horrid....

« Reply #446 on: November 07, 2019, 12:30:58 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Nice to see The Celtics as the top seed in the East!

« Reply #447 on: November 07, 2019, 01:14:05 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Tazz some of the trash talking aside, I do actually really love embids game. I also really like Horford, although it is now in weird bitter ex territory for me. Richardson seems pretty likeable too. But for the life of me I can’t stand Simmons. You?
Embiid's trash talking is part of who he is.  Bird was one of the best trash talkers.  Did you dislike his trash talking?  Or is it the social media aspect that you really dislike?  Imagine if social media was around in the 80s and 90s. 

There are a few players I really like (e.g. Rondo and Embiid).  I don't feel that negatively about any players even Lebron and his banana boat ilk.  I'm definitely glad they are on their way out.  I like the new, young talent much better. 

I guess I'd say I'm not fond of Simmons but I don't pay much attention to him.  He hasn't done anything in particular but I just have a negative impression of him.  I will say it is probably a bit less negative than when he first came into the league.  On the positive side, he does seem to be a team player.  His game is very team oriented and he's turned himself into a very good and versatile defender.  There doesn't seem to be any rivalry with or jealousy of Embiid (e.g. Kobe and Shaq).  From what I can tell he puts in the work and isn't going out clubbing every night.  But I still have that negative impression. 

« Reply #448 on: November 07, 2019, 01:46:14 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
The Boston Celtics are #1 seed after the 76ers fell short to the Jazz tonight. Wow!

The LA Lakers are also the #1 seed. Did they tell us that this year would be like 2008? Lakers vs Celtics NBA Finals?!  :o

Ratings would be off the charts if it's Boston vs. LA again.

It doesn't have to be the LA Lakers, Boston vs. LA Clippers will be just as fun.

« Reply #449 on: November 07, 2019, 01:58:24 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Embiid's trash talking is part of who he is.  Bird was one of the best trash talkers.  Did you dislike his trash talking?  Or is it the social media aspect that you really dislike?  Imagine if social media was around in the 80s and 90s. 

There are a few players I really like (e.g. Rondo and Embiid).  I don't feel that negatively about any players even Lebron and his banana boat ilk.  I'm definitely glad they are on their way out.  I like the new, young talent much better. 

I guess I'd say I'm not fond of Simmons but I don't pay much attention to him.  He hasn't done anything in particular but I just have a negative impression of him.  I will say it is probably a bit less negative than when he first came into the league.  On the positive side, he does seem to be a team player.  His game is very team oriented and he's turned himself into a very good and versatile defender.  There doesn't seem to be any rivalry with or jealousy of Embiid (e.g. Kobe and Shaq).  From what I can tell he puts in the work and isn't going out clubbing every night.  But I still have that negative impression.
I think Bird's trash talking was much less petty than Embiid's. There's a difference between talking Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. in a basketball game like Bird and spewing out insulting childish bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. like Embiid.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA