Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 394009 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #450 on: November 07, 2019, 02:40:30 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Definitely a chance of us getting number 1. Embiid is playing his heart out, Is Simmons injured?

Hurt his shoulder 4 minutes into the game, ruled out for rest of game.

https://streamable.com/0ruzy

He is having a tough year for sure
That didn't really look like much which probably means his arm will fall off given the Sixers luck.

Tazz some of the trash talking aside, I do actually really love embids game. I also really like Horford, although it is now in weird bitter ex territory for me. Richardson seems pretty likeable too. But for the life of me I can’t stand Simmons. You?
Embiid's trash talking is part of who he is.  Bird was one of the best trash talkers.  Did you dislike his trash talking?  Or is it the social media aspect that you really dislike?  Imagine if social media was around in the 80s and 90s. 

There are a few players I really like (e.g. Rondo and Embiid).  I don't feel that negatively about any players even Lebron and his banana boat ilk.  I'm definitely glad they are on their way out.  I like the new, young talent much better. 

I guess I'd say I'm not fond of Simmons but I don't pay much attention to him.  He hasn't done anything in particular but I just have a negative impression of him.  I will say it is probably a bit less negative than when he first came into the league.  On the positive side, he does seem to be a team player.  His game is very team oriented and he's turned himself into a very good and versatile defender.  There doesn't seem to be any rivalry with or jealousy of Embiid (e.g. Kobe and Shaq).  From what I can tell he puts in the work and isn't going out clubbing every night.  But I still have that negative impression.
I think Bird's trash talking was much less petty than Embiid's. There's a difference between talking **** in a basketball game like Bird and spewing out insulting childish bull**** like Embiid.
How do you know what Embiid says on the court?  KD and Draymond both said they enjoy Embiid's trash talking.  Some players like Drummond have clearly let his trash talking affect their play. 

« Reply #451 on: November 07, 2019, 04:00:03 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Al Horford is a great safety for Philly (5-2) to have in games when Joel Embiid is (inevitably)out. However, I am more interested in how he performs when both are ready.

Games without Joel (2,5,6): 26,7 ppg, 6 rpg, 4,7 apg, 54,8% fg, 42,1% 3pt

Games with Joel: (1,3,4,7): 10 ppg, 7,8 rpg, 2,8 apg, 32,6% fg, 26,7% 3pt
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #452 on: November 07, 2019, 05:52:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Definitely a chance of us getting number 1. Embiid is playing his heart out, Is Simmons injured?

That didn't really look like much which probably means his arm will fall off given the Sixers luck.

Tazz some of the trash talking aside, I do actually really love embids game. I also really like Horford, although it is now in weird bitter ex territory for me. Richardson seems pretty likeable too. But for the life of me I can’t stand Simmons. You?
Embiid's trash talking is part of who he is.  Bird was one of the best trash talkers.  Did you dislike his trash talking?  Or is it the social media aspect that you really dislike?  Imagine if social media was around in the 80s and 90s. 

There are a few players I really like (e.g. Rondo and Embiid).  I don't feel that negatively about any players even Lebron and his banana boat ilk.  I'm definitely glad they are on their way out.  I like the new, young talent much better. 

I guess I'd say I'm not fond of Simmons but I don't pay much attention to him.  He hasn't done anything in particular but I just have a negative impression of him.  I will say it is probably a bit less negative than when he first came into the league.  On the positive side, he does seem to be a team player.  His game is very team oriented and he's turned himself into a very good and versatile defender.  There doesn't seem to be any rivalry with or jealousy of Embiid (e.g. Kobe and Shaq).  From what I can tell he puts in the work and isn't going out clubbing every night.  But I still have that negative impression.
I think Bird's trash talking was much less petty than Embiid's. There's a difference between talking **** in a basketball game like Bird and spewing out insulting childish bull**** like Embiid.
How do you know what Embiid says on the court?  KD and Draymond both said they enjoy Embiid's trash talking.  Some players like Drummond have clearly let his trash talking affect their play.
I meant what he says in social media. But yeah his on court stuff probably isn't too bad.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #453 on: November 07, 2019, 11:29:14 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I’ll preface this again, by saying I do really like embiid overall, this is just a small thing I wish he did less of (he said he would before the season) l. Anyways I was a kid when bird was playing, so it is a bit tougher for me to answer that. I think the difference in my mind was that bird was actually accomplishing things when he was doing this. Like the story is he came into the locker room before the three point contest and said “who is finishing second place” and then won it. He was also winning championships. With embiid he has been talking more trash than anyone in the league but has never made it out of the second round. Worse he has been either banged up or missing games in the playoff runs. I think the worst case of his trash talk a few years ago was trying to insult baynes the round after Boston had eliminated him or the time he was talking trash to Morris and Morris hit him with the 2-0 or 3-0, whatever the series was at the time. From everything I have heard, it’s tough for me to imagine bird doing that kind of stuff (but maybe he did and it just wasn’t captured). I was optimistic embiid was starting to get this stuff, but the fight with towns and celebration of his involvement in it was just dumb. He was fortunate to only be suspended 2 games and he disgusted his teammate Horford with that.

« Reply #454 on: November 07, 2019, 12:10:47 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Bird from the first moment he stepped in Boston Garden played as an MVP candidate. He didn't just run his mouth.

Embiid may have the talent to be great but so far he hasn't done much  and most of the times chooses his fights and acts like a child. Watching him laugh after the fight with KAT was like watching a 12 year old after a prank.

« Reply #455 on: November 07, 2019, 12:12:56 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bird from the first moment he stepped in Boston Garden played as an MVP candidate. He didn't just run his mouth.

Embiid may have the talent to be great but so far he hasn't done much  and most of the times chooses his fights and acts like a child. Watching him laugh after the fight with KAT was like watching a 12 year old after a prank.

The eye poke was real bush league & dangerous. 

Embiid is a fun personality & talent to have in the NBA.  He needs to knock that crap off, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #456 on: November 07, 2019, 12:13:29 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Kids nowadays.

« Reply #457 on: November 07, 2019, 06:22:22 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

The eye poke was real bush league & dangerous. 

Embiid is a fun personality & talent to have in the NBA.  He needs to knock that crap off, though.

Constant flopping for a man his size, runs his mouth when he can't back it up then cries after a humbling defeat. He have talent but his personality have left too much to be desired.

« Reply #458 on: November 07, 2019, 11:25:17 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Monster game tonight by Aldridge. He always seems to give us trouble. Theis will need his best on Saturday.

« Reply #459 on: November 08, 2019, 05:32:39 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Monster game tonight by Aldridge. He always seems to give us trouble. Theis will need his best on Saturday.

Yup.. Aldridge has our number ever since I can remember.

I think TimeLord is a better matchup tbh since Rob can hold his own very well against post up players( see TL defense against AD last year).

Should be a very good battle.

« Reply #460 on: November 08, 2019, 11:42:12 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Somebody explain the thinking behind ESPN's broadcast decision today.

These are some of the games being played today:

Sixers @ Nuggets
Bucks @ Jazz
Nets @ Blazers
Heat @ Lakers

And ESPN decides to air only one game and goes with Cavs @ Wizards?

Now to be fair, those other games are all West Coast games (and Heat/Lakers is actually on NBA TV). But still, Cavs/Wizards is the one game you're going to go with?  Several other Eastern/Central games would have seemed like better picks before the season (when Zion, Curry, Griffin were healthy, and Kings were expected to be good).  Even with all the injuries/suspensions/failing-to-meet-expectations, I don't think there's a game I want to watch less than Cavs/Wizards.

Not really into other sports/current events, is something going on that ESPN is only airing one game tonight (at 7pm), as they usually do two (8pm/10:30pm)?  Not that I really care (I get all games through League Pass anyway), just find today's national TV schedule laughably bad.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #461 on: November 08, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Does anyone know why it says on the NBA app that the Heat Lakers game starts at 10:22? Just bizarre.

Edit: they fixed it

« Reply #462 on: November 08, 2019, 01:31:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Somebody explain the thinking behind ESPN's broadcast decision today.

These are some of the games being played today:

Sixers @ Nuggets
Bucks @ Jazz
Nets @ Blazers
Heat @ Lakers

And ESPN decides to air only one game and goes with Cavs @ Wizards?

Now to be fair, those other games are all West Coast games (and Heat/Lakers is actually on NBA TV). But still, Cavs/Wizards is the one game you're going to go with?  Several other Eastern/Central games would have seemed like better picks before the season (when Zion, Curry, Griffin were healthy, and Kings were expected to be good).  Even with all the injuries/suspensions/failing-to-meet-expectations, I don't think there's a game I want to watch less than Cavs/Wizards.

Not really into other sports/current events, is something going on that ESPN is only airing one game tonight (at 7pm), as they usually do two (8pm/10:30pm)?  Not that I really care (I get all games through League Pass anyway), just find today's national TV schedule laughably bad.

Is there still a requirement that every team gets to be on the national games at least once?  Because if there is I could easily see a "let's burn two duds off the list in an early season low ratings Friday night spot" rationale. Otherwise I'm stumped. It's not even like there are any marketable stars except for Beal who's not well-known by star standards.

« Reply #463 on: November 08, 2019, 02:34:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Question: Are people actually outraged at Kawhi over the "load management" thing?

I swear the media's been going off about it a ton lately and it's becoming a tired subject... like it has even more attention than Lebron and the Lakers nowadays, which is saying something...)

Like I truthfully don't care about it as much.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #464 on: November 08, 2019, 02:37:36 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Question: Are people actually outraged at Kawhi over the "load management" thing?

I swear the media's been going off about it a ton lately and it's becoming a tired subject... like it has even more attention than Lebron and the Lakers nowadays, which is saying something...)

Like I truthfully don't care about it as much.

Me personally, as a fan (and only from the lens of a fan), I don't like a team's best player sitting out. Let's say the Celts signed Durant or Anthony Davis and I go to a Celts game, pumped to see either guy play. I get to the Gahden and find out the player isn't playing because of "load management". It would be a huge disappointment. But...that's just me.