Author Topic: ESPN: factor in Lakers signing KCP was that his agent is Lebrons agent  (Read 4669 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Multiple league sources suggested to ESPN that a major motivating factor in the Lakers' signing Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to a one-year, $18 million deal this offseason was because Caldwell-Pope is repped by Rich Paul, the same agent as James.
Now the Lakers can spend a year communicating with Paul, showing him how they run their organization, sharing meals, etc., and it will all be protected under the Caldwell-Pope prism, even if it could prove influential as to what James ultimately decides to do.

As for teams being even more covert in their preemptive pursuit of James, a league source familiar with James' past free agencies said more teams would view it as a "waste of time" because James is known for wanting to have the control rather than be wooed.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20525040/nba-fine-tampering-fact-life-nba

Dirty tampering team

Re: ESPN: factor in Lakers signing KCP was that his agent is Lebrons agent
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 10:38:31 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Why would Lebron play for the Lakers?

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 10:52:41 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
they'll have cap space to sign all his friends

Were you saying why would he go to the heat in 2010? Or why back to the cavs in 2014?

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 10:58:24 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

Were you saying why would he go to the heat in 2010? Or why back to the cavs in 2014?

It's a harder road to the Final's, if even possible, in the West. Also, more air miles during the season for teams on the West coast.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:19:18 PM by alley oop »

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 11:10:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Lets not be disingenuous. The heat had a prime wade and another star was on the way.LA has nothing like that. They, at best, have kids who might become nba stars some day, might.

The lakers have who? What players do they have that can put them into contention in the next one to two years? Three years ago James did not want to wait on Wiggins to develop. Three years later, the window for James is even smaller.

If you try to argue that free agents love to flock to LA, show me the list of such free agents over recent years... and the corpse of Karl Malone does not count.

Should we really think that Lebron is clueless on how the lakers work internally? That having a common agent will sway his decision?

This discussion of Lebron going to LA has no basis that I can see. Lets drop it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 12:04:49 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Lets not be disingenuous. The heat had a prime wade and another star was on the way.LA has nothing like that. They, at best, have kids who might become nba stars some day, might.

The lakers have who? What players do they have that can put them into contention in the next one to two years? Three years ago James did not want to wait on Wiggins to develop. Three years later, the window for James is even smaller.

If you try to argue that free agents love to flock to LA, show me the list of such free agents over recent years... and the corpse of Karl Malone does not count.

Should we really think that Lebron is clueless on how the lakers work internally? That having a common agent will sway his decision?

This discussion of Lebron going to LA has no basis that I can see. Lets drop it.
you seriously trying to say Lakers have no chance at any free agent? Boston didn't target paul george because of the chance he could go to LA in 2018.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 12:08:26 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

He could easily persuade another star to join him in LA at the same time, same as he did with Chris Bosh.

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 12:43:03 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Let's not. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not possible or even likely.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 12:50:38 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

Let's not. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not possible or even likely.
I await your evidence and arguments as to why this is likely.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 12:53:58 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

He could easily persuade another star to join him in LA at the same time, same as he did with Chris Bosh.
Are stars so readily available? And does LA have already a star of wade's level to make a 3 star team? LA seems an improbable destination. I think other nba teams are in a better position to lure Lebron since they already have stars.

Why the fixation with LA?
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 12:58:01 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Are stars so readily available? And does LA have already a star of wade's level to make a 3 star team? LA seems an improbable destination. I think other nba teams are in a better position to lure Lebron since they already have stars.

because they will have the cap space and are heavily rumored to be the destination for many free agents like lebron, Paul george.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 12:58:35 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

you seriously trying to say Lakers have no chance at any free agent? Boston didn't target paul george because of the chance he could go to LA in 2018.
Please read what I wrote. Name me the recent free agent stars LA has attracted.it is not a case of LA not being able to lure free agents at all.

I am responding to what seems to be a general consensus that LA easily attracts stars,in this case Lebron. I am unconvinced and see little evidence that this is likely or that such stars will gravitate towards LA.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 01:00:50 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

because they will have the cap space and are heavily rumored to be the destination for many free agents like lebron, Paul george.
Rumors about LA in the media on this seem to be weak sauce. How often did I read of the free agents willing to go to ny? Perhaps Lebron will go to LA, but I don't see the logic or probability.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 01:01:07 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Woj:

“Not only is there no guarantee he's coming back, I'm not sure there is an expectation he's re-signing there. I think within Cleveland and around the league they feel that he is very much in play to leave again and likely head out West to one of the two LA teams. The Lakers could very well be a target

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 01:03:09 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
Woj:

“Not only is there no guarantee he's coming back, I'm not sure there is an expectation he's re-signing there. I think within Cleveland and around the league they feel that he is very much in play to leave again and likely head out West to one of the two LA teams. The Lakers could very well be a target
Thanks for the post. So, lets wait and see.  ;D and what about that first round draft pick the Celtics will give to Cleveland?  ;)
- Vandana Shiva