Author Topic: is Hayward our secret weapon in the playoffs?  (Read 12958 times)

Re: is Hayward our secret weapon in the playoffs?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 12:01:31 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I don't think Hayward and his max contract is a secret.

Is he an x-factor. For sure.

I agree.

Hayward's not a secret.

A deadly weapon, yes, a secret, no.
agreed.  he's no secret

You could argue he was a secret to us, since we didn't think he was going to be like this come playoff time  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 01:23:37 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I agree.

Hayward's not a secret.

agreed.  he's no secret

You could argue he was a secret to us, since we didn't think he was going to be like this come playoff time  :laugh:

I'm gonna wait till he proves it in the post season before I consider him a weapon. It wouldn't shock me if he goes back to 3-7 for 9 points every other day in the playoffs. I hope not, but I'm not quite ready to believe just yet.

On a side note, this team has destroyed my ability to feel optimism.

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 02:04:39 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I agree.

Hayward's not a secret.

agreed.  he's no secret

I'm gonna wait till he proves it in the post season before I consider him a weapon. It wouldn't shock me if he goes back to 3-7 for 9 points every other day in the playoffs. I hope not, but I'm not quite ready to believe just yet.

"Feeling optimism when your team should have destroyed it" is what being a fan is all about!

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 10:55:42 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Hayward is our Manu Ginobili.

White guy off the bench with a bunch of crazy shots.

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 11:07:09 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Good comparison.

Hayward definitely reminds me of Manu.

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 03:43:41 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I think it’s hard to call a former all star and max player a secret weapon. Not sure he really slips through the cracks.

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 07:16:59 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Good comparison.

I might be wrong but isn't manu kind of shoots inefficient at times? And his endurance isn't good hence why he always played low minutes

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 07:23:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Good comparison.

I might be wrong but isn't manu kind of shoots inefficient at times? And his endurance isn't good hence why he always played low minutes
Prime Manu ('04-'11) was not inefficient at all, shooting 45/37/84. He played approximately 29MPG over that spell, and averaged 17/4/4. Hayward is a much better rebounder, as he's considerably larger.

Not sure about the endurance though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273

I agree.

Hayward's not a secret.

agreed.  he's no secret

i would be surprised if he regresses, and i fully expect him to be a serious weapon in the playoffs. i don’t think it’s appropriate to compare his stats on this team vs. his latter utah days for many of the same reasons others have already stated. what is more relevant is his style of play, which we never got to experience in celtic green due to his injury. his current attacking style and mentality is what leads me to believe that he is fully back to form. he’s no longer timid going to the basket and he’s demanding the ball on offense, regardless if he’s getting minutes with the second team or the starters. when brad goes into playoff mode with minutes, i fully expect gordon to be the leading beneficiary and see increased minutes of playing time.

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 01:27:33 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I agree.

Hayward's not a secret.

agreed.  he's no secret

i would be surprised if he regresses, and i fully expect him to be a serious weapon in the playoffs. i don’t think it’s appropriate to compare his stats on this team vs. his latter utah days for many of the same reasons others have already stated. what is more relevant is his style of play, which we never got to experience in celtic green due to his injury. his current attacking style and mentality is what leads me to believe that he is fully back to form. he’s no longer timid going to the basket and he’s demanding the ball on offense, regardless if he’s getting minutes with the second team or the starters. when brad goes into playoff mode with minutes, i fully expect gordon to be the leading beneficiary and see increased minutes of playing time.

Yes, his last year in Utah his USG% was 27.6. This year it's much lower (19.3, or 20.2 over the his last 8 games). So his total stats won't compare to his Utah stats at the same rate.

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 08:49:54 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
To answer the OP's question: in a word, No.

The people ignoring Hayward's entire body of work this season are likely going to be sorely disappointed by his play in the playoffs.

The most likely scenario is that he cements his place on the Jeff Green all-stars where he shows up when he wants to, convinces a lot of people that his best game is his norm,  and is plagued thereafter by inconsistency and mental toughness issues.

I'm not saying it's impossible for Hayward to have a couple great games (or even a great series), but he's going to have just as many games where he scores 0,4, or 7 points and makes people question why he's the fifth highest paid player in the NBA.  Realistically, there's literally no chance based on what I've seen that he plays 4 series in a row without injury or retreating into his shell.

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The people ignoring Hayward's entire body of work this season are likely going to be sorely disappointed by his play in the playoffs.

The most likely scenario is that he cements his place on the Jeff Green all-stars where he shows up when he wants to, convinces a lot of people that his best game is his norm,  and is plagued thereafter by inconsistency and mental toughness issues.

I'm not saying it's impossible for Hayward to have a couple great games (or even a great series), but he's going to have just as many games where he scores 0,4, or 7 points and makes people question why he's the fifth highest paid player in the NBA.
Do you get some weird kick out of ignoring people when they correct you for refusing to look at Hayward's continued improvement?

All you do is say "he'll go back to sucking again!" but in the 8 games since he came back from concussion that hasn't looked like being the case at all. Averaging 16/6/3 over that period.

I'm pretty sure you'll respond to me saying "just look at the stretch of games before then" and continue to ignore the fact that Hayward had sprained his ankle during that stretch, or that Brad was giving him stupidly inconsistent playing time. But that's just par for the course at this stage.

Not sure why you want him to fail so dearly, especially when it's proven that this season his success = Celtic success. The sweet "I told you so" that you've been looking forward to plastering this forum with come playoff time is not coming through that door.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I'm not saying it's impossible for Hayward to have a couple great games (or even a great series), but he's going to have just as many games where he scores 0,4, or 7 points and makes people question why he's the fifth highest paid player in the NBA.
Do you get some weird kick out of ignoring people when they correct you for refusing to look at Hayward's continued improvement?

All you do is say "he'll go back to sucking again!" but in the 8 games since he came back from concussion that hasn't looked like being the case at all. Averaging 16/6/3 over that period.

I'm pretty sure you'll respond to me saying "just look at the stretch of games before then" and continue to ignore the fact that Hayward had sprained his ankle during that stretch, or that Brad was giving him stupidly inconsistent playing time. But that's just par for the course at this stage.

Not sure why you want him to fail so dearly, especially when it's proven that this season his success = Celtic success. The sweet "I told you so" that you've been looking forward to plastering this forum with come playoff time is not coming through that door.

TP!  I have a tough time understanding how anyone can't see a major difference in Gordon's aggressiveness, athleticism, and confidence over the past few weeks.  I'm perfectly fine throwing away his struggles that took place for most of the season.

He's been making things happen on his own terms, as opposed to relying on teammates and perimeter shooting.  Maybe I'm sucker, but I'm expecting Gordon to carry the momentum right into the playoffs. 

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2019, 09:24:38 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I'm not saying it's impossible for Hayward to have a couple great games (or even a great series), but he's going to have just as many games where he scores 0,4, or 7 points and makes people question why he's the fifth highest paid player in the NBA.  Realistically, there's literally no chance based on what I've seen that he plays 4 series in a row without injury or retreating into his shell.

The effect that Gordon Hayward has on the game goes beyond the points per game. Jeff Green didn't have the ability to facilitate like Hayward does.

Of course we all still want way more from him. Right now, he is functioning as an Evan Turner who can shoot. I think he is a much better player than that.

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2019, 07:38:33 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We need the Hayward that we saw in the 2 games prior to the last. We need a Hayward that looks to be the boss, that has confidence, that is aggressive. Anything else and it's an early exit.